Thread: Wheel size vs lift size

Fresh Catch

Wheel size vs lift size

Excuse me since I知 a complete newb, but I知 thinking of putting a lift on my 2 door Sport S. I知 going to run some 285/70/R17 or 285/75/R17 tires. I知 debating between wether I知 going to put on a 1.5 inch or 2.5 inch lift. With that being said, I plan on leaving the stock flares on and don稚 want rubbing, and I also want the tires to stick out an inch, maybe inch and a half. With these 2 lifts in mind, what would be appropriate rim width, offset, backspacing for each of these in order to get that look I want along with no rubbing? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by cornhohleo; 05-20-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Fresh Catch

Wheel size vs lift size

I currently have -12 offset 17x9 wheels on order but I知 wondering if that will stick out TOO much.
    Last edited by cornhohleo; 05-20-2019 at 01:03 PM.

Not sure about what your offset should be but factory back spacing is 6.25". Based on what you're saying, you should not run wheels with less than 4.5"-5" of back spacing.

Fresh Catch

Wheel size vs lift size

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Not sure about what your offset should be but factory back spacing is 6.25". Based on what you're saying, you should not run wheels with less than 4.5"-5" of back spacing.

The wheels I have on order are -12 with 4.53 of backspacing. Does width of the rim also have anything to do with how far it値l stick out since they値l be 9 inches wide?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Last edited by cornhohleo; 05-20-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cornhohleo View Post
    Excuse me since I知 a complete newb, but I知 thinking of putting a lift on my 2 door Sport S. I知 going to run some 285/70/R17 or 285/75/R17 tires. I知 debating between wether I知 going to put on a 1.5 inch or 2.5 inch lift. With that being said, I plan on leaving the stock flares on and don稚 want rubbing, and I also want the tires to stick out an inch, maybe inch and a half. With these 2 lifts in mind, what would be appropriate rim width, offset, backspacing for each of these in order to get that look I want along with no rubbing? Thanks in advance
    1.5" category of lift systems. Lots of 2.5" to choose from.

1. Use Rubicon take offs for 1" lift for a 4 door or 2" lift for a 2 door. Coils and shocks .

2. Use a spacer lift for 1.5 lift from Teraflex. Then you need longer shocks.

3. Skyjacker has a 1.5" kit. Coils and shocks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2018 JL Sport Unlimited Ocean Blue Metallic
    2004 TJ Rubicon Flame Red
    2000 XJ Cherokee Sport Black
    1998 XJ Cherokee Limited Gunmetal Pearl

I have Rubicon suspension and wheels/tires on my Jeep with 1.75" wheel spacers and it has just enough poke for me. 20190426_152515.jpeg20190426_152542.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app