Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VIDEO : CODEX - Building a 2-Door Extra Cab Gladiator Overland Truck with a HELLCAT

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Great coverage. It was really cool seeing all the different companies doing their thing on this build.
    Thanks! Funny thing was that everyone working at the same time actually made it pretty hard for us to film it all. We were actually worried that we wouldn't have enough to make something of it and so we're glad that you found the coverage to be adequate

Personally, I think they missed the mark on this build. It has some nice features and the possibilities are endless. To me, it's lacks style and to bulky looking. But it's a Jeep, so

Sent from my SM-G975U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2018 Jeep JLUR, Granite Crystal Metallic, Automatic, 2" Mopar Suspension Lift, 37x12x17 Toyo Open Country R/T Tires.

VIDEO : CODEX - Building a 2-Door Extra Cab Gladiator Overland Truck with a HELLCAT

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    The function of the PCOR box is there for sure but I personally missed the point of chopping the frame even more so than the body. It would seem to me that a longer wheel base would be a benefit at least in terms of ride quality and towing capacity if nothing else. Sure, the 36 gallon gas tank is nice to have but being that range is an issue, I would have thought adding something like it in addition to the factory gas tank would have made a lot more sense. Also, for all the effort that went into carrying so much gear, I would think that having extra room in the cab would be helpful as well but then, that's just me. Clearly, this was Tony's vision and not mine
    Completely agree, its more like a JK8 than a JT. I also hope that is not the truck’s final stance in the rear, it looks really heavy and burdened. Reminds me of the stance of the original version of Discount Tire’s RESQ1, before Mel realized the actual “shop model size” tire machine out on the tail of the already heavy service body was a bit too much. Turned out even the service body was also too much weight and became a service trailer that I towed to KOH. I have a feeling this CODEX might have the same sprung weight issues

IMG_1380.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GCM 2.0 View Post
    Completely agree, its more like a JK8 than a JT. I also hope that is not the truck’s final stance in the rear, it looks really heavy and burdened. Reminds me of the stance of the original version of Discount Tire’s RESQ1, before Mel realized the actual “shop model size” tire machine out on the tail of the already heavy service body was a bit too much. Turned out even the service body was also too much weight and became a service trailer that I towed to KOH. I have a feeling this CODEX might have the same sprung weight issues
    The stance as you see it in the video was with Mopar 2" lift coils up front and factory coils in the rear. Initially, the weight of the Hellcat was significant enough to warrant help up front. However, the PCOR box completely negated that and Tony was going to address it with new coils, spacers or a combination of both. Unfortunately, Cindy and I had to take off before they got to that.

That being said... the sprung weight is definitely an issue and one that suspect will be a challenge to address. Certainly, I find it hard to believe that this thing will be doing any "pre-running" let alone ANY driving at speeds that the Hellcat should be able to offer.

I think the build will come together once the tires come. Looks good Dynatrac. They have a dedicated team that has built American made projects for a while now. Plus they got Tony on the job.

Sent from my SM-T550 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2018 JL Sport Unlimited Ocean Blue Metallic
    2004 TJ Rubicon Flame Red
    2000 XJ Cherokee Sport Black
    1998 XJ Cherokee Limited Gunmetal Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I think the build will come together once the tires come. Looks good Dynatrac. They have a dedicated team that has built American made projects for a while now. Plus they got Tony on the job.
    40's will for sure change the look. I just wish they would have chosen to run American made tires instead of china tires. I am also a bit disappointed that they chose to run a china winch too especially being that they've always run WARN in the past.

40's will for sure change the look. I just wish they would have chosen to run American made tires instead of china tires. I am also a bit disappointed that they chose to run a china winch too especially being that they've always run WARN in the past.
    40's make everything better! Yup. I resemble that remark. Times have changed. Apparently I'm learning that I'm a Warn winch elitist. Because I have many Warn products over the years. Well, If something works don't fix it. Warn makes good stuff that is dependable. Go figure. And 2 wrongs don't make a right. I agree USA is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2018 JL Sport Unlimited Ocean Blue Metallic
    2004 TJ Rubicon Flame Red
    2000 XJ Cherokee Sport Black
    1998 XJ Cherokee Limited Gunmetal Pearl

Knows a Thing or Two NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
    It's funny because if you look at the comments on our YouTube channel, pretty much everyone there loves this build. Here on JLWRANGLER and WAYALIFE, not so much.

Me personally, I'm glad that we got a chance to cover the build and appreciate the fact that everyone has their own idea of how to build up a Jeep or should I say, chop one up but like you, I can't say I'm a fan. Of course, that's just me.
    I think this forum just has a higher percentage of straight shooters. I can appreciate all the work on an individual level, but as a whole, like you said, nothing makes sense. The PCOR box is fantastic, but heavy, having a longer frame would have made more sense. For an overland rig, you want the extra interior room, so chopping the back doors out make no sense. Generally speaking, the US is wide open spaces so "tightness" isn't really an issue, you don't overland through the rubicon trail. The hellcat engine, while again, awesome for something like the sandtrooper, but for an overland build going 20mph? Makes no sense. Fun building exercise, but the end result IMHO, kind of makes no sense. The EVO build is much more useful for "overlanding." I did meet Justin from PCOR a while back, he was a cool dude, very lively. Anywho, the video was great as always.

Quote Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
    I found a pic of Dynatracs next overland project:

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    It seems like the plans for the next one leaked outIMG_5154.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Hooked
    Thanx for the video, Ed, but I'm not in favor of the modifications to the NEW GLADIATOR--but

I appreciate your coverage !

JIMBO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12