Will the JL Wrangler be Your First Jeep?

ambrose

I think I already mentioned elsewhere, but yeah, this is my first Jeep. I've test driven a Wrangler a few times over the years, the first time in 98. Always felt a tad too unrefined for my tastes, and I didn't have any big plans to do much off roading. The last time I considered/drove (a Willy's) was 2015. I liked it a lot, but I still had a longer commute at the time, and wasn't sure I'd want it for that. Still seemed to be missing conveniences I'd grown used to.

So anyways, I started thinking about it again in Fall 2017, and that's when I discovered the upcoming JL. The more I watched vids on it, the more I drooled. Now I've had my Rubicon JLU for about 6 weeks, and I still love it a ton, love driving it every time. I was even thinking about writing a letter to the designers. LOL It's just amazing how they struck the balance between off-road capable and on-road comfort. I really like the way it handles. I like the "feel" on the road (and off the road, what little I've done of that so far). I love the remote keyless entry (one of those things I'd grown used to). The Alpine stereo is totally awesome. The big touch screen is great, and having Car Play is super, although I actually quite like the factory radio UI--even the nav (which I usually hate factory). I like the knobs and thoughtfully-selected (physical) buttons. I like the dash interface. Heated steering wheel is a must around here, and the defrost options as well. Remote start--heat up. Wifey loves the seat warmers. Already enjoying the freedom top (on a few select days so far). One of my friends with a Jeep asked about power mirrors--I forgot those were new in JL. :) The shifter looks great, and I love the Rubicon interior with the black leather and red stiching, and the red dashboard is sexy. Sway bar/lockers are very conveniently located/easy to use. I love all the little easter egg type things. The 8-speed auto is great so far. The thing has great get up and go for its beefiness. Visibility in back is basically as good as not having a tire--I hear that's improved. Like the little storage in back, too. Can't wait to take things off (doors, top), and I hear that's easier now; I might take the windshield down for a bit, just for kicks--and cuz it's easy.

I also _really_ like the exterior tweaks. Slightly leaning back, vents on the sides, tweaking of the grill design. Rubicon hood is rad. I like that I won't have to deal with hood jitter thanks to the new clamps. I really like the steel bumpers and LED lights.

Pretty much the only thing I don't like so far, and I REALLY don't like it, is the stupid auto shut off thing. I wish I could permanently turn that off! :)

But really, I pretty much love this thing to death and am trying to figure out where I can get off road more often around here.

Ncsustats

Yes, my first Jeep. Last time I drove one was prob 14 years ago in Hawaii, a rental that i tortured on the road to Hana ;). Tough bugger, got me out of a self-inflicted sand-trap too. One morning I went out to find it had rained and was apparently now driving a bathtub, lol, but didn’t know about the drain plugs until some guy mentioned it to me. I remember thinking that was pretty cool...drained right out. Since I’ve always been a motorcycle/sportscar guy I never bought one for myself, but now my 11yr old son is a truck guy, and convinced me to look into them. This JL is waaaayyy nicer than that poor rental...so giving Jeep a go!

...and for what it’s worth, I was in Moab with my 12yr-old daughter during the last Jeep week, and it was pretty cool...even my ‘could-care-less’ girl liked them

Last edited:

Nastee_C4s

So, I was just wondering, for those of you who've got a JL Wrangler on order or are planning to get one, will this be your first Jeep? If so, was there something specific about the JL that drew you to it over a JK?

First for me that I've driven and I hate to say it,but it was the technology that had me. I'm just glad that the veterans in the Jeep community has had nothing but great things to say about it. Means I made the right choice.

KWire

So, I was just wondering, for those of you who've got a JL Wrangler on order or are planning to get one, will this be your first Jeep? If so, was there something specific about the JL that drew you to it over a JK?

This will be my first Jeep. Getting a JLU Sahara with all the bells and whistles... We pick it up tomorrow and I am pretty stoked. We are replacing a 12yr old Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer. We bought a Class C RV and plan on traveling a bit, or a LOT after retiring. Just need base plate, tow bar, brakes.... Seems like I'll be out of money soon <G>.

You have a great site Eddie, and am excited to become a part of the Jeep community.

Keith

jeepfreak

This will be Wrangler #4 for me. Let’s see how long this ordering process takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This will be my first Jeep. Getting a JLU Sahara with all the bells and whistles... We pick it up tomorrow and I am pretty stoked. We are replacing a 12yr old Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer. We bought a Class C RV and plan on traveling a bit, or a LOT after retiring. Just need base plate, tow bar, brakes.... Seems like I'll be out of money soon <G>.

You have a great site Eddie, and am excited to become a part of the Jeep community.

Keith

Awesome, it's great to have you here! :thumb:

This will be Wrangler #4 for me. Let’s see how long this ordering process takes.

It's gonna take a bit for sure but be patient and I think you're gonna love what you get :yup:

oponthir

1st-time jeep owner here!

So many mods & accessories it's a little overwhelming what to do first.

I would like a Winch and game across this picture on Google. Looks insane! wonder if the Wife will let me do all!

Happy to be here on this forum!
2018 Jeep JL Bumpers

Attachments

• jeep-wrangler-jl-front-bumpers-2018.jpg
    jeep-wrangler-jl-front-bumpers-2018.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 89

Ncsustats

Yes, my first Jeep. Last time I drove one was prob 14 years ago in Hawaii, a rental that i tortured on the road to Hana ;). Tough bugger, got me out of a self-inflicted sand-trap too. One morning I went out to find it had rained and was apparently now driving a bathtub, lol, but didn’t know about the drain plugs until some guy mentioned it to me. I remember thinking that was pretty cool...drained right out. Since I’ve always been a motorcycle/sportscar guy I never bought one for myself, but now my 11yr old son is a truck guy, and convinced me to look into them. This JL is waaaayyy nicer than that poor rental...so giving Jeep a go!

...and for what it’s worth, I was in Moab with my 12yr-old daughter during the last Jeep week, and it was pretty cool...even my ‘could-care-less’ girl liked them

Ughh...16 days in D1 so far...

SedonaJL

Yes!! The JL is my first Jeep..Went to Sedona and rented a Rubicon from Barlow Adventures the first week of February (Best place to rent a Jeep in Sedona) and bought a Sport Unlimited on Feb 28 back in Maryland. Test drove a JK and the JL has more pickup and comfort features. So I’m a newbie to the Jeep life but have already made plans for adding the aux switch bank some lights and a soft top for spring summer and fall driving. Eventually a roof top tent for some outdoor life.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

AlphaV

Yes!! The JL is my first Jeep..Went to Sedona and rented a Rubicon from Barlow Adventures the first week of February (Best place to rent a Jeep in Sedona) and bought a Sport Unlimited on Feb 28 back in Maryland. Test drove a JK and the JL has more pickup and comfort features. So I’m a newbie to the Jeep life but have already made plans for adding the aux switch bank some lights and a soft top for spring summer and fall driving. Eventually a roof top tent for some outdoor life.

I hear ya. My add on list to my JLU keeps growing daily. Lots of photos to comb through and get ideas.

BillArnett

This will be my second Jeep. The first was a 2011 JK Rubicon 2-door with a 2.5” lift, 35s and a bunch of armor.

But I’ve been an off-reader since high-school (lo those many decades ago!). My Dad had an ancient Chevy Blazer that we drove all over the SoCal desert and mountains. I had a bunch of dirt bikes. Then life intervened and we moved to NorCal. Bought a 2000 MBZ ML430 which I thought was the greatest thing since steam beer for off-roading. It did a lot of 4x4 trails in Colorado vacations and the Sierras. But one time in Colorado we rented a TJ. And that was an amazing revelation! Ledges that I would have thought impossible in my ML430 were all of a sudden just child’s play. Black Bear pass, despite its fearsome reputation, was really no big deal. A few months later we bought the JK.

My main reason for switching to the JL was road manners, especially the 8-speed tranny. All the other JL improvements are just icing on the cake :)

JLSahara

Late to this thread but the reason I didn’t get the last Jeep, and I was close, was due to the interior and lack of tech. I’m coming from Luxury cars so I judged wanted some, not all, of the tech I’ve had, plus the new interior is so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk