Thread: JL regear for 285/70/R17

Fresh Catch

JL regear for 285/70/R17

Pretty much have decided on this size tire with a 2 and 1/2 inch RC lift and shocks, and and 9 inch wide rim, -12 offset. Around here where I live thereís not too many hills or trails, off-road use will be very mild at most, and itís my daily driver. I drive about 10 city miles to work everyday. I already know Iím going to lose some mpg, but would it be necessary to regear the stock 3.45 gears for the size tire I plan to run? And if I do regear, for a daily driver that sees little climbing use, what would be a good ratio to regear to?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Caught the Bug
    Short answer no - you wonít need to re-gear. 2 things. You donít need that much lift to clear that size tire OR you can run 35ís with that much lift. I have a JL Sport with 315/70/17 with the 3.45 gears. I donít even think about going to another size gear except for when I dream about swapping that front axle out.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by CGRDT View Post
    Short answer no - you wonít need to re-gear. 2 things. You donít need that much lift to clear that size tire OR you can run 35ís with that much lift. I have a JL Sport with 315/70/17 with the 3.45 gears. I donít even think about going to another size gear except for when I dream about swapping that front axle out.

What would a recommended size lift/level kit be?

Quote Originally Posted by cornhohleo View Post
    None I would think that what my Rubicon came with stock and looked a lil small to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Caught the Bug
    Itís all about budget and what size you want to run. With a 2Ē lift you can fit 35ís on the Sport. If you want 33ís - nothing wrong with that. Itís yours. Make it how you want it. To go to a 33 I think (and someone else jump in here) you can get away with just some Rubi take-offs gain an inch and a half and stick with your stock wheels. I wonít run 37ís on my Sport. Someone will tell you can probably do it Iím just leery with the front axle and I just donít need 37ís for what I do.