JL regear for 285/70/R17

cornhohleo

Pretty much have decided on this size tire with a 2 and 1/2 inch RC lift and shocks, and and 9 inch wide rim, -12 offset. Around here where I live there’s not too many hills or trails, off-road use will be very mild at most, and it’s my daily driver. I drive about 10 city miles to work everyday. I already know I’m going to lose some mpg, but would it be necessary to regear the stock 3.45 gears for the size tire I plan to run? And if I do regear, for a daily driver that sees little climbing use, what would be a good ratio to regear to?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

CGRDT

Short answer no - you won’t need to re-gear. 2 things. You don’t need that much lift to clear that size tire OR you can run 35’s with that much lift. I have a JL Sport with 315/70/17 with the 3.45 gears. I don’t even think about going to another size gear except for when I dream about swapping that front axle out.

cornhohleo

Short answer no - you won’t need to re-gear. 2 things. You don’t need that much lift to clear that size tire OR you can run 35’s with that much lift. I have a JL Sport with 315/70/17 with the 3.45 gears. I don’t even think about going to another size gear except for when I dream about swapping that front axle out.

What would a recommended size lift/level kit be?

CGRDT

It’s all about budget and what size you want to run. With a 2” lift you can fit 35’s on the Sport. If you want 33’s - nothing wrong with that. It’s yours. Make it how you want it. To go to a 33 I think (and someone else jump in here) you can get away with just some Rubi take-offs gain an inch and a half and stick with your stock wheels. I won’t run 37’s on my Sport. Someone will tell you can probably do it I’m just leery with the front axle and I just don’t need 37’s for what I do.