INSIDE LOOK at CODEX - The Dynatrac 2-Door Extra Cab Hellcat Gladiator Truck Build

Rgk401

Actually, Dynatrac has always been there in the adventure world long before it was popular to “be into overlanding”. They have always had axles under what is probably considered one of the USA’s first cult like following by the adventure crowd- The “Sportsmobile”. A Ford F350 4x4 Econoline van with 1 ton Full Float Dynatracs. Do a google search just for images of one. Those things are unicorns, even when one does come up for sale, it’s pretty expensive. Now Sportsmobiles use the Ford Transit Van model, so not sure if Dynatrac still supplies axles. Even from the very first “Overland Expo” in 2009, most of the seriously built rigs, Jeeps, Toyota’s, Vans all were running Dynatrac axles.

Jim and his guys at Dynatrac just missed the target on looks, but they got the function piece down. Heck, for all we know that might be exactly what some Jeep engineer penned for them to build.

[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Brute

It was a complete misfire...if you wanted a badass engine in a shorter wheelbase truck, then make one...if you wanted a functional overlanding vehicle, keep the four doors and bed...

NFRs2000NYC

While I don't buy into the "lifestyle" I appreciate the utility. I for instance, have to travel 2000 miles west to hit some of these trails, and would love to setup camp, make dinner, etc, and go to bed where I'm at, not have to drive to a town after sunset (which gets tiring) and wake up the next morning, and continue on. I currently do the hotel thing, and it wastes a heap of time having to travel back to town, not to mention energy, and ruins the trip having to waste time getting to town. Having everything organized, accessible, etc, is very appealing, and staying out on trails longer makes the trip more fun. Where I'm with you guys is calling it overlanding and the culture that goes along with it, but I do appreciate the ability to stay out for days at a time while being comfortable. Just my .02 of course. For me, the Wayout concept or Evo's version of the gladiator is great.

NFRs2000NYC

Im waiting for a diesel JL or JT, but the duratracs on my JKUR will need replacing soon, and since Im going to trade it in at some point, I was thinking of getting the 315s Patagonias just to try them out, and since I'll be trading it in, I'll be getting them for a good price, walmart has them for $146 a tire. No point on spending them on duratracs if I will be trading the rig in anyway.

JTCO

Meme King
Honestly Iv been seeing everyone running them tires. I wonder if they really good for a long run tire. Time will tell

These Milestar tires have been around for YEARS. Hardly anyone ever ran them though. Then all of a sudden about a year ago, rumors started circulating around social media that if you run them it will make your dick tickle. Then suddenly all kinds of internet Jeepers started buying them. True story.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Im waiting for a diesel JL or JT, but the duratracs on my JKUR will need replacing soon, and since Im going to trade it in at some point, I was thinking of getting the 315s Patagonias just to try them out, and since I'll be trading it in, I'll be getting them for a good price, walmart has them for $146 a tire. No point on spending them on duratracs if I will be trading the rig in anyway.

Walmart has bfg’s for $116 a tire in that size.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

Rgk401

These Milestar tires have been around for YEARS. Hardly anyone ever ran them though. Then all of a sudden about a year ago, rumors started circulating around social media that if you run them it will make your dick tickle. Then suddenly all kinds of internet Jeepers started buying them. True story.

Well damn the dick tickle part has me interested,but I’ll stick to my nitto trail grapplers.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Also, I don’t understand the use of the Hellcat powerplant in this thing. Seems mismatched for the builds purpose.

The Hellcat is awesome but I'd have to agree with you here. After seeing what this truck was all about, I personally think a Cummins would have been a better swap.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While I don't buy into the "lifestyle" I appreciate the utility. I for instance, have to travel 2000 miles west to hit some of these trails, and would love to setup camp, make dinner, etc, and go to bed where I'm at, not have to drive to a town after sunset (which gets tiring) and wake up the next morning, and continue on.

Because breaking down camp and putting all your shit away before you can get rolling again is so much easier. :cheesy:

I'm sure it's just me but the only reason why something like this would be cool is so that I could stay in the SAME location for days on end.

I currently do the hotel thing, and it wastes a heap of time having to travel back to town, not to mention energy, and ruins the trip having to waste time getting to town.

That's because you don't have an appreciation as to why so many of the towns you stay in are there to begin with. Most towns were established for a reason and the history behind it should be why you'd WANT to go there. But hey, that's just me :)

NFRs2000NYC

CODEX : INSIDE LOOK of the Dynatrac 2-Door Extra Cab Hellcat Gladiator Truck Build

Because breaking down camp and putting all your shit away before you can get rolling again is so much easier. :cheesy:

I'm sure it's just me but the only reason why something like this would be cool is so that I could stay in the SAME location for days on end.

That's because you don't have an appreciation as to why so many of the towns you stay in are there to begin with. Most towns were established for a reason and the history behind it should be why you'd WANT to go there. But hey, that's just me :)

There are days where I wouldn’t mind spending a day or two in the same spot just relaxing, and I do love those old towns and enjoy staying in them, but I’ve done trails that are quite long, and breaking them into two days vs one, or even just enjoying the sunset and sleeping under the stars makes for a nice evening. And I agree, breaking down camp sucks (as is making camp) which is why I like the utility of something like an Ursa Minor style top, or the crank tent on the Wayout concept, takes seconds to put it up/pack it up and you’re on your way. Honestly, for me, that’s all it is, speed and comfort. Sure you can get the same “result” with a traditional tent, air mattress, pump, etc etc etc, and that’s something I do currently like most people, but obviously at the expense of speed, comfort, and space. I personally like the products that quite simply, just make the experience easier and less bothersome so you can enjoy the actual outdoors and activities vs spending a bunch of time setting up and breaking down camp, dealing with weather, etc. Also, for us personally, I like to mix hotel stays with some camping, even if it’s more hotels lol. Just my .02

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly Iv been seeing everyone running them tires.

That's because china tires are so cheap, the guy in charge of promoting them had LITERALLY BEEN GIVING THEM AWAY to every internet whore out there who would pimp them.

I wonder if they really good for a long run tire. Time will tell

So, I've finally got to see these tires in person and in action on the trail and what I've seen has left me less than impressed. On multiple occasions now, I've seen where just ONE out of 4 tires was exhibiting an odd wearing of the tread. If it were on both tires, I might say it was caused by poor alignment or other suspension related issues but being that it was just on one, it seemed more like a manufacturing defect or a problem with quality control. Also, out on the rocks, they didn't hook up near as well as just about every other tire I saw on the same obstacles. Granted, it was raining and the rocks were slick but they just didn't seem to have the grip that Trail Grapplers, Toyo MT's or even MT/Rs (my least favorite tire) seemed to have. Of course, that's just what I saw and you can take that for what it's worth.

After 3 days of wheeling out in Katemcy and seeing these tires in action, I can tell you that they're a FAR CRY from a Duratrac or at least, in terms of performance. But, you can find that out for yourself. :yup:

It's amazing what marketing can do. I'm genuinely disappointed that Dynatrac decided to go with these tires especially being that so much of what they do is about being pro made in the USA.

Walmart has bfg’s for $116 a tire in that size.

Now that's a hell of a good deal.

NFRs2000NYC

That's because china tires are so cheap, the guy in charge of promoting them had LITERALLY BEEN GIVING THEM AWAY to every internet whore out there who would pimp them.

So, I've finally got to see these tires in person and in action on the trail and what I've seen has left me less than impressed. On multiple occasions now, I've seen where just ONE out of 4 tires was exhibiting an odd wearing of the tread. If it were on both tires, I might say it was caused by poor alignment or other suspension related issues but being that it was just on one, it seemed more like a manufacturing defect or a problem with quality control. Also, out on the rocks, they didn't hook up near as well as just about every other tire I saw on the same obstacles. Granted, it was raining and the rocks were slick but they just didn't seem to have the grip that Trail Grapplers, Toyo MT's or even MT/Rs (my least favorite tire) seemed to have. Of course, that's just what I saw and you can take that for what it's worth.

After 3 days of wheeling out in Katemcy and seeing these tires in action, I can tell you that they're a FAR CRY from a Duratrac or at least, in terms of performance. But, you can find that out for yourself. :yup:

It's amazing what marketing can do. I'm genuinely disappointed that Dynatrac decided to go with these tires especially being that so much of what they do is about being pro made in the USA.

Now that's a hell of a good deal.

There’s 100% quite a bit of fanboy-ism hovering about this tire, no doubt about it, more than any tire I’ve ever seen lol. Everyone I see on the internets that claims they have amazing grip usually has them deflated to single digit PSI.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There’s 100% quite a bit of fanboy-ism hovering about this tire, no doubt about it, more than any tire I’ve ever seen lol. Everyone I see on the internets that claims they have amazing grip usually has them deflated to single digit PSI.

LOL - funny thing is, I now understand why the same people who run this china tire also runs an oil catch can. When you're sitting on the same obstacle forever trying to get up it being that your tires aren't hooking up, you do start to burn some oil. The upside is that when you're struggling that long on an obstacle, it has a way of making it look really hard :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In dynatracs defense, I’m sure those tires were donated to the build

:cheesy: Of course they were but you're kidding yourself if you really think that they couldn't have gotten any number of other tire companies to do the same and at the drop of a hat. The choice to run these china tires was all theirs and I've let them know in person how disappointed I am with that.

MrGiant

I really hate that gladiator build, I even feel sorry for it. Sorry Dynatrac

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
LOL - funny thing is, I now understand why the same people who run this china tire also runs an oil catch can. When you're sitting on the same obstacle forever trying to get up it being that your tires aren't hooking up, you do start to burn some oil. The upside is that when you're struggling that long on an obstacle, it has a way of making it look really hard :crazyeyes:

BOOM! (mic drop) 😅