Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Death wobble, did Jeep help you?

Death wobble, did Jeep help you?

Hello everyone,

I've been experiencing everything from slight steering wheel shimmy to death wobble on my 2018 Jeep JLUR. I have a 2.5" Rock Krawler lift with 35" BFG KO2s mounted. I've had an alignment done with everything in spec. I'm still having the issue.

Jeep has been pretty attentive and willing to help until I told them I have a lift installed. It's a pretty easy cop out in my opinion. Long story short. Has Jeep done anything for anyone with this same issue? I remember seeing some people had Jeep spring to replace their steering damper with an aftermarket Fox unit. I've searched for these posts but cannot find them.

My dealership refuses to diagnose my issue since I have a lift. I'm not putting the Jeep back to stock. Jeep has already replaced my steering damper, but it didn't fix the issue. They said a redesigned front track bar, but it won't help me with the lift installed. The RK lift already has a beefier track bar.

Than

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

All bolts torqued to spec?

Sounds like you need a different dealership, one that is Jeep friendly with knowledgable mechanics or a good local 4xshop.

There are numerous TSB bulletins out on the death wobble and steering shimmy. Jeep is replacing numerous front end steering components do to this. Jeep is beefing up those replacement parts, but aftermarket has much better, sturdier parts available.

I had the steering shimmy. Installed a Rancho Heavy Duty Adjustable FrontTrack Bar and mine was fixed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2018 Jeep JLUR, Granite Crystal Metallic, Automatic, 2" Mopar Suspension Lift, 37x12x17 Toyo Open Country R/T Tires.

Thereís a tsb out for both the front Trackbar and updated steering stabilizer. What tires and wheels are you running? Your dealership shouldnít turn you away. Iím running a 3.5Ē RK lift and just in the last 2 weeks mine started doing the same thing. I already had replaced my front Trackbar with an adjustable RK when I installed the lift so I got the updated steering stabilizer and it solved my issue. Also make sure your front tires are properly balanced. Being off balance will also cause what you are feeling.

What state are you located in?

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    All bolts torqued to spec?
    Yup. Checked torque on all fasteners.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepJL View Post
    What state are you located in?

New York

Quote Originally Posted by Bongoray View Post
    New York

Well I canít help you there. I know some good shops on the west coast that wouldnít turn you away. Start with balancing the tires, then steering stabilizer tsb (updated mopar with a part number ending in AE), and a Trackbar if you havenít yet. For some reason the front end of a JL is much more sensitive to tire balance.
    Iím running 38Ē Patagoniaís on KMC wheels and if I have the lighter (less weight needed) tires in the front Iím good but if I rotate them I start getting that death wobble feeling. Starting to regret my decision on tire choice but I love the size.
    Hereís the part number of the old stabilizer I just replaced. There was a bit of play in it causing the wobble to activate, especially when the tires were not perfectly balanced.

Image1557847127.023852.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JeepJL View Post
    Thereís a tsb out for both the front Trackbar and updated steering stabilizer. What tires and wheels are you running? Your dealership shouldnít turn you away. Iím running a 3.5Ē RK lift and just in the last 2 weeks mine started doing the same thing. I already had replaced my front Trackbar with an adjustable RK when I installed the lift so I got the updated steering stabilizer and it solved my issue. Also make sure your front tires are properly balanced. Being off balance will also cause what you are feeling.

Ruining 35" BFG KO2's as mentioned above. Balanced twice. Upgraded damper from Jeep didn't solve the issue.

Iíve had intermittent death wobble for the last few months. Iím on 37 Nittoís, Method Beadlocks, and Evo coilover suspension. Iíve also upgraded track bar, drag link, and tie rod to the Steer Smarts Yeti kit. Weíve tried different toe and caster settings( currently at 1/8Ē toe in and 7.4 caster) and itís still there. Stiff stabilizer helps mask it but if I pull the stabilizer off itís a guaranteed violent wobble on first set of bumps around 40mph. Dropped the Jeep off at a reputable shop in SoCal earlier this week so weíll see if they can find anything. What concerns me is that I have not been able to find any defects in the parts Iíve replaced, nor have I heard of others isolating a specific failure mode. My Jeep was great for 7k miles, then all of a sudden it wasnít. No progressive decline in steering, literally good one day and bad the next.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast