Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Death wobble, did Jeep help you?

Quote Originally Posted by JL_John View Post
    Iíve had intermittent death wobble for the last few months. Iím on 37 Nittoís, Method Beadlocks, and Evo coilover suspension. Iíve also upgraded track bar, drag link, and tie rod to the Steer Smarts Yeti kit. Weíve tried different toe and caster settings( currently at 1/8Ē toe in and 7.4 caster) and itís still there. Stiff stabilizer helps mask it but if I pull the stabilizer off itís a guaranteed violent wobble on first set of bumps around 40mph. Dropped the Jeep off at a reputable shop in SoCal earlier this week so weíll see if they can find anything. What concerns me is that I have not been able to find any defects in the parts Iíve replaced, nor have I heard of others isolating a specific failure mode. My Jeep was great for 7k miles, then all of a sudden it wasnít. No progressive decline in steering, literally good one day and bad the next.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Could it be the steering box? Iím just throwing that out there because my friends Jeep was doing the same thing and she was stock. The dealership replaced everything in the front end including tires and wheels and it was still there. So they replaced the steering box and It fixed the problem. Hope this helps.

Sounds like a great time to upgrade to PSC hydro assist.

I'm in the same boat. I replaced Tie rod, drag link and trackbar. Still had the issue. Everything is torqued and tight. Installed Rancho dual stabilizers (I know, but I was lost on what to do and have 45,000 miles on it in 13 months so I drive alot) it drives almost like a dream. I am leaning towards steering box as well. I was talking to a Rancho rep at a Jeep Jamboree and he said the Tazer update has a setting to turn off the electric assist I believe and that helped. I don't have a Tazer so can not confirm that. If someone does and it has that setting and it worked please let me know.
    2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
    3 1/2" Metalcloak Lift
    37x13.5x17 Cooper STT Pro
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by ckor View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I replaced Tie rod, drag link and trackbar. Still had the issue. Everything is torqued and tight. Installed Rancho dual stabilizers (I know, but I was lost on what to do and have 45,000 miles on it in 13 months so I drive alot) it drives almost like a dream. I am leaning towards steering box as well. I was talking to a Rancho rep at a Jeep Jamboree and he said the Tazer update has a setting to turn off the electric assist I believe and that helped. I don't have a Tazer so can not confirm that. If someone does and it has that setting and it worked please let me know.
    I think the Tazer feature is for when you go to a belt driven pump for a PSC setup. I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rgk401 View Post
    Could it be the steering box? Iím just throwing that out there because my friends Jeep was doing the same thing and she was stock. The dealership replaced everything in the front end including tires and wheels and it was still there. So they replaced the steering box and It fixed the problem. Hope this helps.

I'd be happy to swap the gearbox if it would correct the problem but I can't see how a gearbox would cause death wobble. That being said, my steering is sloppy as it is and I've heard of people doing the gear swap with good results so maybe it is a fix. I'll wait and see what the shop says before deciding.

Quote Originally Posted by ckor View Post
    If you turn off the electric assist without swapping over to the PSC system I think you would have manual steering as the JL pump is not belt driven.

Quote Originally Posted by JL_John View Post
    I'd be happy to swap the gearbox if it would correct the problem but I can't see how a gearbox would cause death wobble. That being said, my steering is sloppy as it is and I've heard of people doing the gear swap with good results so maybe it is a fix. I'll wait and see what the shop says before deciding.

If you turn off the electric assist without swapping over to the PSC system I think you would have manual steering as the JL pump is not belt driven.
    So I just tried this today by turning off espsteer and so far it seems like it took the shimmy out of my steering wheel when hitting little bumps on the road. Now this could all be in my head but I know for sure it still has power steering after turning off espsteer with tazer.im thinking it's all in my head that it feels better. And starting to think it might not be good on things but I'm not to sure how an electric steer pump works and the how electric steer assist, but maybe it just turns off the steer assist part.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Been Around the Block scoobycarolanNC's Avatar
    So Iím stock, it was a wee bit easier for me to get the dealer to comply, but after a paid front end alignment & a call to Jeep wave I got the 4th generation steering box (68250506AD) today & holy shit. No 1Ē deadspot on center & she tracks as straight as the day I bought her.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMetal View Post
    So I just tried this today by turning off espsteer and so far it seems like it took the shimmy out of my steering wheel when hitting little bumps on the road. Now this could all be in my head but I know for sure it still has power steering after turning off espsteer with tazer.im thinking it's all in my head that it feels better. And starting to think it might not be good on things but I'm not to sure how an electric steer pump works and the how electric steer assist, but maybe it just turns off the steer assist part.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Iím thinking it just disables the warning if it were unplugged or failed.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobycarolanNC View Post
    So Iím stock, it was a wee bit easier for me to get the dealer to comply, but after a paid front end alignment & a call to Jeep wave I got the 4th generation steering box (68250506AD) today & holy shit. No 1Ē deadspot on center & she tracks as straight as the day I bought her.
    Good to know. I might have to give that a try after the AE stabilizer is installed if it doesnít correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobycarolanNC View Post
    Do you have a case open with Jeep? If so can you tell me the number. I'd love to be able to reference a stock Jeep that has the same issue. That would be a big help!

Thanks!
    Ray

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast