What are the weak links in the Rubicon JL drivetrain?

Amric

Lets say what would normal breakage on a hard MOAB trail (Pritchet canyon comes to mind) on stock drivetrain with a non idiot driver

Alternative question although similar ...

What is the a list of things that will break in order of weakness running 37's on a stock a Rubicon JL

front axles?
driveshafts?
rear axles?

From what I have seen/heard I would think with 37" tires and a non-idiot driver, nothing will break. Now if you go larger on the tire or drive overly aggressively, I would say axle tubes would be what I would look at improving first, but I wheel on the East US where you sometimes need more throttle and speed to get over the more slippery obstacles. I would think u joints after that, then pinion if geared at or below 5.13 and going too far on tire size (say 40"). All just guesses of course, as I haven't broken anything on my 37s.

13_gecko_rubi

Id say the weakest link in almost any rig is the part that connects steering wheel to gas pedal. I've seen people make stock parts live when I never thought they would and I've seen people break shit that mezmorized me how. Lol

Sent via....

From what I have seen/heard I would think with 37" tires and a non-idiot driver, nothing will break. Now if you go larger on the tire or drive overly aggressively, I would say axle tubes would be what I would look at improving first, but I wheel on the East US where you sometimes need more throttle and speed to get over the more slippery obstacles. I would think u joints after that, then pinion if geared at or below 5.13 and going too far on tire size (say 40"). All just guesses of course, as I haven't broken anything on my 37s.

I agree with you especially on the east US wheeling. Everything is slippery, and muddy. We're in Kentucky, and on our last trip my wife was holding onto trees so she wouldn't fall spotting me. (She was always a safe distance away from the Jeep.) That being said our axles have held up great on 37s.

Rgk401

What’s a good gear for 37’s. I wanna get my 8th gear back. 5:13 or 4:88. I have a 2 door sport with the d44 front and rear axles. I wanna re gear before I do the swap.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

What’s a good gear for 37’s. I wanna get my 8th gear back. 5:13 or 4:88. I have a 2 door sport with the d44 front and rear axles. I wanna re gear before I do the swap.

You bought Rubicon axles? Honestly I'm happy with my 4.10s and 37s. If I was gonna regear a 2 door I'd say 4.88 as the 2 door is a few hundred lbs lighter than a 4 door.

Sent via....

CalSgt

Eddie talked about this in another thread, said he lost fuel mileage going to 5.13 but gained bottom end for obstacles. I plan on going 4.88 if I swap. When you think about it you are actually gaining your low range back as opposed to gaining 8Th gear back.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie talked about this in another thread, said he lost fuel mileage going to 5.13 but gained bottom end for obstacles. I plan on going 4.88 if I swap. When you think about it you are actually gaining your low range back as opposed to gaining 8Th gear back.

Yup, this is the video I talk about this :yup: