Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are the weak links in the Rubicon JL drivetrain?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
    I can take that as an answer. Thank you

I'm not bent out of shape at all. The 1st post seemed pretty straight forward. This post would pretty much have answered it very simply.
    Youíre very welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post

Lets say what would normal breakage on a hard MOAB trail (Pritchet canyon comes to mind) on stock drivetrain with a non idiot driver

Alternative question although similar ...

What is the a list of things that will break in order of weakness running 37's on a stock a Rubicon JL

front axles?
    driveshafts?
    rear axles?
    From what I have seen/heard I would think with 37" tires and a non-idiot driver, nothing will break. Now if you go larger on the tire or drive overly aggressively, I would say axle tubes would be what I would look at improving first, but I wheel on the East US where you sometimes need more throttle and speed to get over the more slippery obstacles. I would think u joints after that, then pinion if geared at or below 5.13 and going too far on tire size (say 40"). All just guesses of course, as I haven't broken anything on my 37s.

Nothing but a Thing
    Id say the weakest link in almost any rig is the part that connects steering wheel to gas pedal. I've seen people make stock parts live when I never thought they would and I've seen people break shit that mezmorized me how. Lol

Sent via....

Caught the Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Amric View Post
    From what I have seen/heard I would think with 37" tires and a non-idiot driver, nothing will break. Now if you go larger on the tire or drive overly aggressively, I would say axle tubes would be what I would look at improving first, but I wheel on the East US where you sometimes need more throttle and speed to get over the more slippery obstacles. I would think u joints after that, then pinion if geared at or below 5.13 and going too far on tire size (say 40"). All just guesses of course, as I haven't broken anything on my 37s.

I agree with you especially on the east US wheeling. Everything is slippery, and muddy. We're in Kentucky, and on our last trip my wife was holding onto trees so she wouldn't fall spotting me. (She was always a safe distance away from the Jeep.) That being said our axles have held up great on 37s.

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13_gecko_rubi View Post
    Id say the weakest link in almost any rig is the part that connects steering wheel to gas pedal. I've seen people make stock parts live when I never thought they would and I've seen people break shit that mezmorized me how. Lol

Sent via....
    Best answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Amric View Post
    Whatís a good gear for 37ís. I wanna get my 8th gear back. 5:13 or 4:88. I have a 2 door sport with the d44 front and rear axles. I wanna re gear before I do the swap.

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgk401 View Post
    Whatís a good gear for 37ís. I wanna get my 8th gear back. 5:13 or 4:88. I have a 2 door sport with the d44 front and rear axles. I wanna re gear before I do the swap.

You bought Rubicon axles? Honestly I'm happy with my 4.10s and 37s. If I was gonna regear a 2 door I'd say 4.88 as the 2 door is a few hundred lbs lighter than a 4 door.

Sent via....

Quote Originally Posted by 13_gecko_rubi View Post
    You bought Rubicon axles? Honestly I'm happy with my 4.10s and 37s. If I was gonna regear a 2 door I'd say 4.88 as the 2 door is a few hundred lbs lighter than a 4 door.

Sent via....
    Yes sir bought rubicon Dana 44ís front and rear from mopar. I might go with the 4.88. Thank you for the information

Nothing but a Thing
    Yes sir bought rubicon Dana 44ís front and rear from mopar. I might go with the 4.88. Thank you for the information

I did the same on mine. Nice easy swap.

Sent via....

Eddie talked about this in another thread, said he lost fuel mileage going to 5.13 but gained bottom end for obstacles. I plan on going 4.88 if I swap. When you think about it you are actually gaining your low range back as opposed to gaining 8Th gear back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast