What are the weak links in the Rubicon JL drivetrain?

Hoffer

Got some front RCV axles coming in tomorrow. Have 35's on it now but going to run 37's soon

How are the driveshafts holding up?

Last edited:

JTCO

Meme King

Not sure. Haven't really heard of any specifics as to 'weak' links as far as internal parts. If I could guess though, the plastic pinion roller bearing cage is a likely suspect. Anytime logic and critical thinking are thrown overboard to save a tree, I have my doubts in regards to durability.

Last edited:

LauraRose

Not sure. Haven't really heard of any specifics as to 'weak' links as far as internal parts. If I could guess though, the plastic pinion roller bearing cage is a likely suspect. Anytime logic and critical thinking are thrown overboard to save a tree, I have my doubts in regards to durability.
^^^This^^^

Laura Rose from PA

Rgk401

JTCO

Meme King
Funny story I seen his Instagram video when he broke the front axle....Dude was jumping hills about 60mph

Didn't know that. I've heard of a few others breaking from normal use (of course that was their statement). This picture was the easiest one that I could find here.

Rgk401

Didn't know that. I've heard of a few others breaking from normal use (of course that was their statement). This picture was the easiest one that I could find here.

I’m sure it’s possible but Iv watched wayalife videos from the Jlx and they didn’t have any problems. But I mean anything can break just depends on how hard you push it.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Hoffer

Update to original question since no one can or will answer it

Lets say what would normal breakage on a hard MOAB trail (Pritchet canyon comes to mind) on stock drivetrain with a non idiot driver

Alternative question although similar ...

What is the a list of things that will break in order of weakness running 37's on a stock a Rubicon JL

front axles?
driveshafts?
rear axles?

If you don't know or don't want to answer a direct question please do not reply

Rgk401

Lets say what would normal breakage on a hard MOAB trail (Pritchet canyon comes to mind) on stock drivetrain with a non idiot driver

What is the a list of things that will break in order of weakness running 37's on a stock a Rubicon JL

front axles?
driveshafts?
rear axles?

We don’t know what the weak links’s are on the jl. The damn thing is so new it’s only been out a year. You coming here and ask a question and we don’t answer it directly people get bent out of shape. Honestly we don’t know what will break first. Front drive shaft,rear drive shaft,rear axles or a t-case. WE SIMPLY DON’T FUCKING KNOW. There are plenty of people that have a Jl rubicon and wheel the shit out of it and haven’t had any problems. It’s just depends on the driver.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

front axles?
driveshafts?
rear axles?

Do you want the winning lotto numbers too?

GCM 2.0

.....I’ve watched wayalife videos from the Jlx and they didn’t have any problems.....

Yes there were problems on the JLX, there will always be problems when you get that many people and rigs together with varying levels of vehicle builds (and more importantly, levels of driving talent). Some stock parts were broken and some aftermarket, things were fixed either on the trail, in Mel’s garage or in parking lots at a hotel at the end of the day and even sometimes in the morning before lining the Jeeps up to head off for the day. The biggest failure was a front axle u-joints, but the guy was running 40”s on factory Rubicon axles. Never, ever advised to do, especially on a JLX/JKX. Most of the other stuff showing problems were electronic in nature.

JTCO

Meme King
We don’t know what the weak links’s are on the jl. The damn thing is so new it’s only been out a year. You coming here and ask a question and we don’t answer it directly people get bent out of shape. Honestly we don’t know what will break first. Front drive shaft,rear drive shaft,rear axles or a t-case. WE SIMPLY DON’T FUCKING KNOW. There are plenty of people that have a Jl rubicon and wheel the shit out of it and haven’t had any problems. It’s just depends on the driver.

Accurate answer. ^

Hopefully this guy won't pop a cork if the question CAN'T be accurately answered due to not enough knowledge or experience on a somewhat newer vehicle.

Hoffer

I can take that as an answer. Thank you

I'm not bent out of shape at all. The 1st post seemed pretty straight forward. This post would pretty much have answered it very simply.

Hoffer

Yes there were problems on the JLX, there will always be problems when you get that many people and rigs together with varying levels of vehicle builds (and more importantly, levels of driving talent). Some stock parts were broken and some aftermarket, things were fixed either on the trail, in Mel’s garage or in parking lots at a hotel at the end of the day and even sometimes in the morning before lining the Jeeps up to head off for the day. The biggest failure was a front axle u-joints, but the guy was running 40”s on factory Rubicon axles. Never, ever advised to do, especially on a JLX/JKX. Most of the other stuff showing problems were electronic in nature.

Thanks for the reply