PSC Hydro Assist install

Bsimon187

I am about 3 weeks post the PSC Hydro Assist install and I must say it is awesome.. Install sucked a good bit, but once we figured out all the differences between the instructions and my JL as well as the bleeding of the system, it has been great. Did the entire set up, new pump, steering box, ram, cooler, etc. The instructions were super detailed which was great, just had some differences between the JL they used and my JL. Biggest issue we had was bleeding the system and destroying the belt which destroyed all the pulleys..

Based on their directions the bleeding of the system was going to suck, and they were spot on.. it sucked. We ended up having to get a bigger belt than what they sent out and recommended. Calls for 90" belt but we ended up using a 91". The 90 was so tight that it literally melted the upper pulley, started to on the second pulley, and caused issues on the lower pulley.

Had the PSC installed while doing the UD60 swap so we had to do some figuring out with the pitman arm as the UD60's use JK steering components, but the pitman arm needed the JL TRE. Overall I am quite happy with the kit with both on and off road handling.

Attachments

• IMG_1705.jpg
    IMG_1705.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1698.jpg
    IMG_1698.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_1797.jpg
    IMG_1797.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1815.jpg
    IMG_1815.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_1811.jpg
    IMG_1811.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1928.jpg
    IMG_1928.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 226

JL_John

How was your steering before the move to PSC? I've been fighting steering issues in mine for a while and have been talking to PSC about a kit. Any issues with disabling the electric pump?

Bsimon187

How was your steering before the move to PSC? I've been fighting steering issues in mine for a while and have been talking to PSC about a kit. Any issues with disabling the electric pump?

It was ok. Wasn’t a fan off road with it. It would barely move if move at all my 37’s when running 6-8psi, so I knew it wouldn’t be good with the 40’s at all. I know I wanted a complete kit and ditch the electric steering. Using the Tazer to disable the electric pump and a ton of other things when I switched over the axles.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JL_John

Yes. Went with a 91" belt vs the 90 they sent. I had even tried a different 90" to make sure the one I got wasn't the wrong size by accident.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Interesting. I installed the kit last week and the 90” belt that came with the kit seems fine in my setup. Maybe I’m lucky or destined for failure. I know you had the first PSC JL kit so maybe some changes were made??

My bleed also went much smoother than what I’ve heard from others. I did loosen the return line on top of the cooler when I filled to let air escape from a high point, but other than that I followed PSC instructions and spent an hour or so but it hasn’t taken any more fluid in the last 2 days and the pump isn’t cavitating.

I’m still on 37s so I didn’t install the ram yet, but the difference in the PSC setup vs my stock steering is AMAZING! Best mod yet. The shimmy and shakes are gone, steering is tight, it tracks straight on the highway, and it has plenty of power to turn the 37s.

Bsimon187

I talked to Tom about the belt size issue I had and he said he had heard of like 1 other that way. It could be some random variance, a messed up factory tensioner, whatever. My kit was also like 1 version post the prototype and they have since then redesigned a good bit of stuff. Just as a disclaimer.

JP223/3USA

Bringing back an old thread. I just installed my PSC kit and I’m smelling what seems to be a rubber smell under the hood and have a squeaky grinding noise when driving straight. Does anybody know if the belt situation has been addressed with these updated kits? I’ll be pulling the belt for inspection but wanted to check if anybody is currently having any issues.

ubbb69

Bringing back an old thread. I just installed my PSC kit and I’m smelling what seems to be a rubber smell under the hood and have a squeaky grinding noise when driving straight. Does anybody know if the belt situation has been addressed with these updated kits? I’ll be pulling the belt for inspection but wanted to check if anybody is currently having any issues.
I am running 91" belt since install with no issues. The belt they sent destroyed a couple pulleys and grenaded.

JP223/3USA

What’s your thoughts on the PSC other than the belt? I’m considering it myself.
I can’t really say for right now. My Jeep has been driven very little in the past 3 weeks. I’ve had some parts replaced under warranty and that has kept me from driving. I will say that PSC has stood behind their warranty and have been quick to help resolve my issues.