JL JOURNAL : DYNOMAX DELETE - JL Wrangler Muffler Elimination Tail Pipe w/SOUND CLIPS

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Call us crazy but Cindy and I really like the sound of the factory, Jeep JL Wrangler exhaust system. It sounds clean, throatty and without being too loud across the spectrum. In fact, we like it so much that we've been reluctant to remove our muffler in spite of the fact that it really is a HUGE rock target, one that we've hit plenty of times and one that will cause you to break the aluminum exhaust hangers. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the experience we've acquired on our JK Wranglers over the last 12+ years has taught us, there are definitely drawbacks to removing the OE muffler an/or running an aftermarket exhaust system. The biggest of which isn't so much an issue with sound quality but rather, how it can drone at highway speeds. If you do a lot of long highway driving like we do to get to trails across America and back again, an exhaust drone can really wear you down. Needless to say, when we installed our new Dynomax Muffler Elimination Pipe, we did so with reservations and only because we knew that we could always return things back to stock. And, after running it for a couple of months and racking up a few thousand miles on it including drives out to places like Moab and back, I'm happy to say that we're glad we did it.

In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you get to see just how easy it is to ditch your massive muffler and install a Dynomax Delete tailpipe and all for about $90. We also made sure to include some sound clips, in various situations and we hope you'll find them to be helpful.

BUY a Dynomax Muffler Elimination Pipe
https://amzn.to/2U1EKhq

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

DYNOMAX JL WRANGLER MUFFLER ELIMINATION PIPE
The Jeep JL® Muffler Elimination Pipe makes quick and easy work of removing your vehicle’s muffler. This muffler elimination pipe is easy to install, and delivers a deep performance tone. It is manufactured with mandrel bent, Stainless Steel pipe that will last for years to come. The Jeep JL Muffler Elimination Pipe is engineered to provide optimal ground clearance along with an improvement in horsepower & torque. This kit is designed to function with aftermarket suspension systems and frame/body protection accessories.

• Straight through design ensures unrestricted exhaust flow and reduces back pressure
• 2.5-in. Mandrel bent Stainless Steel tubing for lifelong protection
• Engineered for high ground clearance
• Provides increased sound and tone.

Bsimon187

Thanks Eddie! This video helped me with 2 things. Sold me on the EVO bombers, and got my interest peaked for the exhaust delete. Helpful videos as always.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks interesting. Will be interested to here what you think after a trip or two

Sent from my SM-G975U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

As I state in the video, we've had it on for a while now and have easily racked up about 3,000 miles since including a trip to SoCal and Moab and back. Where I was skeptical before, I'm totally okay with it now, especially for what you get in terms of ground clearance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie! This video helped me with 2 things. Sold me on the EVO bombers, and got my interest peaked for the exhaust delete. Helpful videos as always.

Awesome! So glad that we can share videos like this and that they can be helpful to people like you :)

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I was dubious about how this would sound, especially after running the Ultraflow Rock Crawler on a 3.6 JK. It droned too much, and I switched to a Quiet Crawler.

I have to say, I’m rather surprised. It doesn’t sound bad, at all.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a super easy install. It sounds pretty good too after hearing Tony’s this weekend.

Oh yeah, install is super easy. Glad you were able to hear it for yourself. It really isn't too bad :)

I like it. Do you have any opinion regarding performance ?

eh, I've never thought that ANY exhaust system can or would improve performance. At least, not by itself anyway. If you were to install a CAI, headers AND a high flow exhaust - you might see some gains.

Looks and sounds great.

Looks great for sure and yeah, it really doesn't sound all too bad.

I was dubious about how this would sound, especially after running the Ultraflow Rock Crawler on a 3.6 JK. It droned too much, and I switched to a Quiet Crawler.

I have to say, I’m rather surprised. It doesn’t sound bad, at all.

Oh, I know where you're coming from and I was all too ready to reinstall the OE muffler if it sounded anything like that. Fortunately, this setup really doesn't sound all that bad.

Jeeeep

for the price, it's worth a try seeing how easily the mounting bracket broke on yours.

my biggest issue would be drone but for the price and easy to return to stock... :thumb:

on another note, I was set to go with 4.88 gears like I have in my JK but hearing you say you were cruising at 85mph in 8th gear well :thinking:

how is it on that last bit of climb going into Moab?

How's your mileage been affected with 5.13's? I like the 4.88 in my JK because it still retains decent mileage (IMO) and keeps the rpms low enough on the steep freeway grades.

I'll need to review your gear vid again

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
for the price, it's worth a try seeing how easily the mounting bracket broke on yours.

my biggest issue would be drone but for the price and easy to return to stock... :thumb:

on another note, I was set to go with 4.88 gears like I have in my JK but hearing you say you were cruising at 85mph in 8th gear well :thinking:

how is it on that last bit of climb going into Moab?

How's your mileage been affected with 5.13's? I like the 4.88 in my JK because it still retains decent mileage (IMO) and keeps the rpms low enough on the steep freeway grades.

I'll need to review your gear vid again

You'll definitely lose mpg with 5.13's being that you'll always be running at about 400 rpm higher. If mpg is a concern, I would definitely consider running 4.88 again. As far as power on grades go, I don't think I ever really felt it be an issue even with 4.10's.

Great video, simple and easy. I'll be putting this on the short list!

Nice cheap and easy for sure :)

I’m with Jeeeep. For 90 bucks it’s worth a gamble on the noise to be able to lose the giant footlocker hanging from the back of the Jeep.

That's why we did it. Figured, it'd be worth the gamble and I think it paid off :yup:

VitaMeVas

Thought

Eddie,

You might download a decibel app on your phone to give you a ball park idea on loudness. Granted, it would measure ALL sound, but if you ever put the stock muffler back on, you could do a comparison. Obviously, someone else wanting to do this mod could also try it.

My hearing is pretty shot, but I’d be curious more for my kids. Also, is it legal to run without a muffler? It’s gotta be quieter than some of the glass packs we used to run in the 90’s. 😀

All said, it doesn’t sound as loud as I expected. 👍🏻

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie,

You might download a decibel app on your phone to give you a ball park idea on loudness. Granted, it would measure ALL sound, but if you ever put the stock muffler back on, you could do a comparison. Obviously, someone else wanting to do this mod could also try it.

My hearing is pretty shot, but I’d be curious more for my kids. Also, is it legal to run without a muffler? It’s gotta be quieter than some of the glass packs we used to run in the 90’s. 😀

All said, it doesn’t sound as loud as I expected. 👍🏻

Yeah, I've had a few people mention that and I apologize for not thinking about it. Would have been nice to take a before and after reading. But, I might be able to get an after reading now.

What I can tell you is that it really doesn't sound too much louder - just different or at least, in my opinion. There's there a resonator in place so it's not like there's nothing in place.

VitaMeVas

Yeah, I've had a few people mention that and I apologize for not thinking about it. Would have been nice to take a before and after reading. But, I might be able to get an after reading now.

What I can tell you is that it really doesn't sound too much louder - just different or at least, in my opinion. There's there a resonator in place so it's not like there's nothing in place.

Thanks for always being the guinea pig.