EVO coilover kit help

jtwopark

You need a chambered no-loss pressure gauge/charging manifold. King and Fox make some, Poly Performance makes one. You can also find them on eBay.

View attachment 11909

View attachment 11910

I’ll go to King next week and pick one up. Maybe stop by ore as well if I can’t sort this thing out . I really appreciate everyone’s input! A lot better experience than the first part of this thread for sure. I owe you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
So what happens if you've been driving around on them not fully charged? Can you just charge them or has oil somehow displaced the bladder?

So what happens if you've been driving around on them not fully charged? Can you just charge them or has oil somehow displaced the bladder?

No idea. The only reason I know this is from a savvy Offroad video about code-x. In one scene the mention charging the kings & show them filling one.

Bsimon187

In Eddie's second video, it looks like they are charging them towards the end of the shop scenes. Mine will be here Monday so trying to figure this all out now as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In Eddie's second video, it looks like they are charging them towards the end of the shop scenes. Mine will be here Monday so trying to figure this all out now as well.

This is correct. They let all the nitrogen out of the coilovers to help make the install easier AND to make it possible to cycle the suspension system. They charged it up at the end.

2Wheel-Lee

The Powertank kit is unnecessary. You can build your own kit cheaper. You need a tank, regulator, a length of high pressure hose, a chuck and a no-loss gauge / charging manifold (the most expensive component).

For my shock nitrogen setup, I use a small tank from Harbor Freight, an adapter to a CO2 regulator, and a stainless hose that I found it on a clearance shelf at a welding store, and a regular push-on chuck. The adapter was needed because I think it was an oxygen tank, if I remember correctly (it was many years ago I set it up).

For normal filling, I don't use a no-loss gauge assembly. I generally set the regulator to the pressure I need and just push the chuck on the valve stem. I've done it with the no-loss gauge and it didn't make a difference. And I've checked the pressure with the no-loss gauge, and it was about the same as the pressure indicated on the regulator. So for down and dirty, you don't really need the no-loss gauge setup.

Last edited:

MericaMade

For my shock nitrogen setup, I use a small tank from Harbor Freight, an adapter to a CO2 regulator, and a stainless hose that I found it on a clearance shelf at a welding store, and a regular push-on chuck. The adapter was needed because I think it was an oxygen tank, if I remember correctly (it was many years ago I set it up).

For normal filling, I don't use a no-loss gauge assembly. I generally set the regulator to the pressure I need and just push the chuck on the valve stem. I've done it with the no-loss gauge and it didn't make a difference. And I've checked the pressure with the no-loss gauge, and it was about the same as the pressure indicated on the regulator. So for down and dirty, you don't really need the no-loss gauge setup.
I'm going to have to check that out. I've installed four lifts on my buddies jeeps and every one of them had the king shocks and all of them came between 40 and 60 PSI short of what they should from the factory.

Sent from my SM-G960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

dixonk

I'm going to have to check that out. I've installed four lifts on my buddies jeeps and every one of them had the king shocks and all of them came between 40 and 60 PSI short of what they should from the factory.

Sent from my SM-G960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

My Kings came with 60psi in them. It took a bit of riding around on bouncy cut Honda tuner car springs before I figured it out. 150 psi and they are golden now.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

2Wheel-Lee

I've found it so much nicer installing shocks that aren't pressurized. I have a Ram 2500 with Fox shocks that I rebuild from time to time, and that's why I originally got the setup. Oh I remember the headaches of trying to install those shocks pressurized. Having the nitrogen charging setup turned out to be way more useful than I had originally imagined with other vehicles. Sure, if it were $400, I might have fought pressurized shocks more, but I think I have 150ish into it? (plus nitrogen) It's been a while so I don't remember much.

moodywizard

I have a full nitrogen setup if you still need help, I live in palmdale which is close to Valencia. Never installed dual rate coilovers but familiar with suspension some what..haha