EVO coilover kit help

jtwopark

Hello, I am in the middle of trying to install the EVO coilover kit and am having a difficult time figuring out the instructions. Just wanted to make sure I am doing it correctly before I start cutting stuff off and make it a permanent error.

Also, If there are any other people that have installed this kit, I could definitely use some pointers and advice.

thanks in advance.

The powder coating or paint on this kit is not at all up to par coming from other manufacturers. Has anyone else come across this "problem or issue?"View attachment 10933

Attachments

• DAD80B5E-A633-4844-A940-796DE2D839AD.jpg
    DAD80B5E-A633-4844-A940-796DE2D839AD.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 353
  • 113F3908-D92D-45B2-AF2D-F5B8E30339FF.jpg
    113F3908-D92D-45B2-AF2D-F5B8E30339FF.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 364
  • D69CDB18-C1CE-4BE3-89B9-A796F59AAFDD.jpg
    D69CDB18-C1CE-4BE3-89B9-A796F59AAFDD.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:

MrGiant

I cant help you, sorry......but cutting?? Didnt Mel say, bolt on with two minor holes to drill in the video from 2018?

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

jtwopark

He did say that and I fell for it.....now that its been a year since the release of the kit, I figured that there has to be a lot of people that has installed this kit?:D
Also, the size of the hardware seems a little questionable as well. I wish the instructions would call out the exact size of bolts and nuts needed and type of washers.
Its another learning curve coming from Toyotas to Jeep!

LauraRose

You should’ve called EVO before insinuating that Mel is a shyster by saying that “you fell for what Mel said”. EVO puts out high quality parts, with high quality finishes… and welds that are so pretty they make grown men cry!

I called EVO at least 3 times before purchasing my 2.5” Enforcer Stage 2 kit, AND read the instructions a few times to make sure my husband and I could handle the install. If you would’ve done that, I’m sure they would've answered all of your questions & helped you make an informed decision on your purchase. You can’t go by a video that is a year old – but rather should refer to the current instructions for a product. :thinking:

Below is the first paragraph of the instructions for EVO’s coilover kits – sounds pretty clear to me that there is cutting and grinding involved AND EVO recommends that this installation be performed by a trained professional:

READ BEFORE INSTALLATION:
Caution: This kit requires drilling and cutting of both metal and plastic. Wheel backspacing adjustments may be required. Due to so many variations and combinations of ACTUAL tire sizes, wheel widths, tire inflation pressures etc. By purchasing this kit, you are starting the next level of performance. To install this kit requires work and finesse. This high-quality system will truly enhance your vehicle to another level. Cutting and Grinding required. EVO MFG recommends this installation be performed by a trained professional. Always use approved safety gear/glasses and weight approved jack/jack stands.

Like I’ve said before on this forum when people bitch about EVO parts taking too long to be released, or any other gripe: Get in line, pay upfront & hope Mel & Andrew don’t say “NO PARTS FOR YOU!” :(

JL_John

I've installed the kit and your cut lines look right. Cutting the shock towers is more scary than difficult - did mine with a sawzall and fresh blade but take your time and mark the line well. As far as pointers, if your running short arms install the lower limit strap bracket on the rear axle before you install the shocks or you'll be removing them to install the straps.

jtwopark

I've installed the kit and your cut lines look right. Cutting the shock towers is more scary than difficult - did mine with a sawzall and fresh blade but take your time and mark the line well. As far as pointers, if your running short arms install the lower limit strap bracket on the rear axle before you install the shocks or you'll be removing them to install the straps.

Thank you so very much, just needed to confirm....

point of no return.

I guess i'll cut as little as possible to reduce the amount of gap ill have from the stock towers to the EVO bracket and cut as necessary.

Last edited:

silverbullet88

An honest non aggressive reply with useful information. Exactly what he actually needed!

Good man

MrGiant

I could not imagine how this thread went in the middle....
Btw, EVO is not answering my request... now at least 3 weeks gone. But I dont mind although I hate it, thats how it goes I guess.
So I am spending my money any other way

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

jtwopark

I could not imagine how this thread went in the middle....
Btw, EVO is not answering my request... now at least 3 weeks gone. But I dont mind although I hate it, thats how it goes I guess.
So I am spending my money any other way

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

Aggression from “lack of” has to go somewhere! Haha

Plus companies would pump out parts faster if they didn’t have people calling them all the time for a simple lift kit! Just saying! :D

Jdofmemi

Does that mean you ditched the Metalcloak lift? How is the new look?