Steering drifted right / alignment issues

Hey y’all. Being an ex 100K mile JK owner I expected my JLs steering to get a little loose, but being stock I didn’t expect it to get as bad as it did. I had a hard right hand pull even with the wheel at 11 o’clock and about an inch of dead spot on center. I took it in & asked to have the dealer go over the front end. Turns out the knuckle on my drag link had drifted and all it needed was a recenter. So I got stuck paying for a front end alignment (which with a mopar coupon was cheaper than an hour of labor). While it’s way better, I’m still flighty. What I noticed is my camber seems off for a Sahara? Sahara’s are supposed to be in the 5s, but I’m a 4. Any ideas? I’m totally stock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 234

JTCO

Meme King
Hey y’all. Being an ex 100K mile JK owner I expected my JLs steering to get a little loose, but being stock I didn’t expect it to get as bad as it did. I had a hard right hand pull even with the wheel at 11 o’clock and about an inch of dead spot on center. I took it in & asked to have the dealer go over the front end. Turns out the knuckle on my drag link had drifted and all it needed was a recenter. So I got stuck paying for a front end alignment (which with a mopar coupon was cheaper than an hour of labor). While it’s way better, I’m still flighty. What I noticed is my camber seems off for a Sahara? Sahara’s are supposed to be in the 5s, but I’m a 4. Any ideas? I’m totally stock.

That's your caster, not your camber. I don't know exact spec for your vehicle, but regardless you're in the green. With that being said, a pull will only occur if one side is much lower than the other. Your numbers are nearly identical to each other side to side, so that won't cause a pull.

It could cause flightly steering if you're below spec, but it looks like you're in the green. You could get a set of lower adjustable arms to bump it up a little and see what happens.

That's your caster, not your camber. I don't know exact spec for your vehicle, but regardless you're in the green. With that being said, a pull will only occur if one side is much lower than the other. Your numbers are nearly identical to each other side to side, so that won't cause a pull.

It could cause flightly steering if you're below spec, but it looks like you're in the green. You could get a set of lower adjustable arms to bump it up a little and see what happens.

So that’s what’s weird. In Eddies driveway alignment post he has a chart that shows caster for each model is different. I googled & keep seeing 5.5 is the number so I don’t know what to think or do

Attachments

• FD646430-E92F-4712-BA75-875949502898.jpg
    FD646430-E92F-4712-BA75-875949502898.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 192

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Your air pressure the same on both sides?
My guess is the lower control arms are the same for the sport and the Rubicon. Since the Rubicon is a bit taller, that's the difference in caster on that chart.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Thrilled to follow up! So after 2 weeks instead of saying “fuck it” & living with it I called Jeep Wave. My guy Benjamin calls the dealer, gets me a next day appointment, & a loaner. Here’s what happened next:

1) mechanic introduced himself to me & I took him on a drive. Showed him the dead spot & the drift. I brought for Bo’berry Biscuits for everyone. If you know, then you already know I won. Cost $6.

2) he puts it back on the rack & tells me to give him a chance.

3) 2nd alignment is actually worse. Test drive with him again and the pull is worse on the same stretch of highway. I remain calm, crack jokes, and don’t turn into a whiny bitch.

4) they pull a 2019 out & put a plate on it. We drive that. No drift no dead spot.

5) my dude goes, yup. You’re right it’s dead on new versus yours.

6) immediately order new steering gear box. 4th revision (I have a 01/18 build, I'm sure it’s rev 1 that I have) part number 68250506AD

7) I thank everyone profusely & head home for the night.

8) not even 24 hours later I get the call it’s ready. I jump in & damn if it’s not as tight and straight as the day I bought it!

I couldn’t be happier! If you have a similar issue I highly recommend you steer the process in this direction. Try to follow these steps & definitely leave any anger and “I paid $50,000 for this thing” entitlement at home. I credit a huge part of my success here to staying calm & relatable where many people don’t.

Jforse

Thrilled to follow up! So after 2 weeks instead of saying “fuck it” & living with it I called Jeep Wave. My guy Benjamin calls the dealer, gets me a next day appointment, & a loaner. Here’s what happened next:

1) mechanic introduced himself to me & I took him on a drive. Showed him the dead spot & the drift. I brought for Bo’berry Biscuits for everyone. If you know, then you already know I won. Cost $6.

2) he puts it back on the rack & tells me to give him a chance.

3) 2nd alignment is actually worse. Test drive with him again and the pull is worse on the same stretch of highway. I remain calm, crack jokes, and don’t turn into a whiny bitch.

4) they pull a 2019 out & put a plate on it. We drive that. No drift no dead spot.

5) my dude goes, yup. You’re right it’s dead on new versus yours.

6) immediately order new steering gear box. 4th revision (I have a 01/18 build, I'm sure it’s rev 1 that I have) part number 68250506AD

7) I thank everyone profusely & head home for the night.

8) not even 24 hours later I get the call it’s ready. I jump in & damn if it’s not as tight and straight as the day I bought it!

I couldn’t be happier! If you have a similar issue I highly recommend you steer the process in this direction. Try to follow these steps & definitely leave any anger and “I paid $50,000 for this thing” entitlement at home. I credit a huge part of my success here to staying calm & relatable where many people don’t.

I'm curious if your steering is still tight?

With my JLUR FCA has updated software, replaced the steering gear, replaced the SS twice, and replaced the track bar. Still loose and wandering to the point they are buying it back. I really hope the replacement doesn't have these issues.

Yup. That was when I was stock & now I’m on 33s and a 2” spacer lift with longer control arms. It took a bit to dial in the alignment but it’s good.

Jeeeep

this describes what my JL does and after a 3000 mile trip I was thinking it's time to sell it, cut my losses and move on...

but, when i got home there was a recall notice for the track bar so it's at the dealshirp now.

I'm going to give them a call and inquire about the steering box- thanks for the update :thumb:

this describes what my JL does and after a 3000 mile trip I was thinking it's time to sell it, cut my losses and move on...

but, when i got home there was a recall notice for the track bar so it's at the dealshirp now.

I'm going to give them a call and inquire about the steering box- thanks for the update :thumb:

You got an official notice for a track bar recall? I want one!