Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JL JOURNAL : BADASS BUDGET BUMPER & How to Flip the Sway Bar Disconnect

JL JOURNAL : BADASS BUDGET BUMPER & How to Flip the Sway Bar Disconnect

Maybe it's because Cindy and I came from humble beginnings and pretty much every modification we made on our first Jeep either came from the Pennysaver or was something I had to make but when it comes to things like bumpers, we still prefer to keep things simple. I think it's for this reason that we were so inspired by the "Jeep King" JK Wrangler concept that was revealed way back at the 2007 SEMA show and it's why much of Moby and Rubicat were built up the way they were. Needless to say, now that we have JET Li, our 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler, we decided to move more in that direction as well - first by removing his rear bumper and now, by minimizing things up front as well. In other words, we wanted to give him a no frills - no thrills, badass, basic front bumper that could be had on a budget. Now, to do this, we installed a WARN winch plate that we had originally bought for our factory steel front bumper and just left the bumper part off. To secure it in place, we recycled D-ring mounts that we still had from a previous JK bumper and just bolted everything to the frame rails. That's it - just the essentials and nothing else. In this short video, you'll get to see what we did and just how easy it is to install. As an added bonus, we'll also show you how to flip or clock a Rubicon electronic sway bar disconnect motor and for cheap. While we weren't able to keep this setup with our new WARN winch plate, it is something that we do hope to make work out with some day. Of course, depending on your front bumper setup, it may still be something you can benefit from.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
    If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

What You'll Need to Make Your Own Badass Budget Bumper
    WARN Winch Plate: https://amzn.to/2OsCn29
    EVO D-Ring Mounts : https://amzn.to/2unK14i
    D-Rings: https://amzn.to/2DBOntR

Definitely love the simple, clean, and functional look.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I really like that setup. Super clean, simple, and affordable. This setup might be going on our next build.

I wished we had saw this before buying the Mopar stubby last month lol . This looks so badazz

Been Around the Block
    I like the minimal look, I spend way too much time trying to find the 'right' bumper

The easy install part would be an issue not being able to garage park my Jeep.

The winch would be gone unless I welded or used security bolts all around.

Dealing with a bumper is enough of a pain in the ass I haven't had issues with my JK winch - that or maybe because it's a Quadratec winch and thieves took pity on my the last 2 times

Hooked
    I like that idea and now that I have a new JLU--I think I'll give that a try--

Thanx

JIMBO

The best modifications are the simplest ones. I think it is a compliment to Jeeps past history of minimalist/simple bumpers. Just look at the C channel piece of metal on your Jeepster, CJ5 or that flat stock on the CJ3B.

Love that look! Nice work!

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2012 Jeep Jk - 37s
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40s
    1975 Jeep DJ5

It looks cool, but I quite feel like you said in your video Eddie....not sure it it stays that way. Its a bit empty there. But definitely a lot better than most afermarket bumpers.
    Something I have to ask since I never gained any experience with winch installation: is your (or generally every?) Winch always powered? I saw you clamp both calbes onto your battery poles and wondered if there is any shut off switch except the wired remote control? This is a very basic question so I am sure its easy for experienced people to help me expand my knowledge a bit

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
    Giant 2 - '18 JLUR
    Mr.Giant - '92 YJ, Flat Black
    Giant 2 - '18 JLUR, Bright White

Caught the Bug
    nice super simple look and functionality...

So basically JK D ring brackets work? In other words any simple JK bumper could go on with minor modifications?
    V6 Diesel JL SWB???? If available in Europe!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast