Transmission temperature?

MrMischief

I took my new (under 300 miles on the clock) JL Rubicon on some light offroading yesterday. Specifically I went looking for, and found, TFL's Cliffhanger 2.0. While nothing extreme at all I wanted something I knew would not be snow covered that could give me chance engage to the lockers and see how the automatic crawls. This is my first automatic Jeep (replacing my 3rd Jeep, a 2005 TJ Rubicon) and first automatic since owning a 1994 Taurus in college. With how JKs seemed to burn down a lot, and how my old Taurus ate transmissions for breakfast, I am a bit concerned about transmission temperatures. While crawling up this easy trail in 4 low with first selected in the auto stick, just letting the Jeep crawl the transmission temperature reached 206 per the offroad pages. What temperature would be considered hot enough that I should stop to avoid damage? I googled this and was finding 240 for a range. I asked on another website and was told anything over 200 is "dangerous" and that I need an auxiliary cooler. Seems a bit extreme for me to be adding a cooler to a brand new stock JL but before I write that off as bad advice I thought I'd ask here where I feel most have a lot more experience than me.

Thanks for your time and any input.

Last edited:
Someone a lot smarter than me, may trump this, but in my experience, low 200's are perfectly acceptable. These new Jeeps are built to monitor themselves. It will tell you if something gets out of parameter. I just leave the monitor page on either my tire pressure or the page that displays my locker and sway bar status when I'm offroad.

2018 JLUR. V6. Auto. Uniden 880.

JeepJL

Someone a lot smarter than me, may trump this, but in my experience, low 200's are perfectly acceptable. These new Jeeps are built to monitor themselves. It will tell you if something gets out of parameter. I just leave the monitor page on either my tire pressure or the page that displays my locker and sway bar status when I'm offroad.

2018 JLUR. V6. Auto. Uniden 880.

Low 200’s is perfectly fine.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
Engine coolant hovers right around 210F and that is the fluid that is used to 'cool' your transmission fluid.

Amric

I would not worry about it up to at least 230. May start trying to get more airflow above that, but probably still safe past 250.

MrGiant

Abdolutely, why else do these gauges in the off road pages have scales that can show much more before the red area....

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR