VIDEO : RIGHT PLACE RIGHT TIME - Lending a Helping Hand on our way Home from Moab

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It isn't every day that you find yourself in the right place and at the right time but as luck would have it, Cindy and I just happened to be there as we made our way home from Moab. As we drove across Interstate 80, we passed a car on the side of the highway and from the look of things, was stuck in some mud. For those of you who know the area, this was out in the no mans land between West Wendover and Salt Lake City and close to world famous Bonnaville Speedway. While the salt flats along the highway may look dry and even be safe enough to walk on, it doesn't take much for an adventurous car to get buried in the muck lying just beneath the surface. I know it isn't much but the following short video highlights what we came across and how we were able to lend a helping hand.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

NFRs2000NYC

So funny you were there. I was at that exact spot years ago looking at tire tracks heading out to those flats, telling my wife “man those people are so dumb for trying to drive out onto the salt from the side of the road.” Later on at Bonneville I ran into a guy that said the tow bill for that recovery is over $1000 and that the WORST spot to try and access the salt is at the edges, as that’s where the mud is the worst. Those girls are lucky you were there. You can see some tire tracks going out onto the salt in that area, some make it 1/4 mile in and get REAL stuck, all of whom had to be recovered. Even in something like a wrangler, that mud is so sticky and slick, that once it coats your tires 4WD isn't going to do jack for you.

36792013430_fcb2e5bc43_o.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! You truly made their day!

We were just lucky to be there when we were. They said they called AAA but that it was going to take no less than 3 hours to save them.

Nice that you were there and had a quality winch to help them out.

LOL - having the right equipment for the job is always a good thing :)

So funny you were there. I was at that exact spot years ago looking at tire tracks heading out to those flats, telling my wife “man those people are so dumb for trying to drive out onto the salt from the side of the road.” Later on at Bonneville I ran into a guy that said the tow bill for that recovery is over $1000 and that the WORST spot to try and access the salt is at the edges, as that’s where the mud is the worst. Those girls are lucky you were there. You can see some tire tracks going out onto the salt in that area, some make it 1/4 mile in and get REAL stuck, all of whom had to be recovered. Even in something like a wrangler, that mud is so sticky and slick, that once it coats your tires 4WD isn't going to do jack for you.

Dry lakes can be a lot of fun to drive on but you really need to know what's safe and what's not. There's no way you'd ever catch me driving out it that shit or at least, not on purpose.

NFRs2000NYC

We were just lucky to be there when we were. They said they called AAA but that it was going to take no less than 3 hours to save them.

LOL - having the right equipment for the job is always a good thing :)

Dry lakes can be a lot of fun to drive on but you really need to know what's safe and what's not. There's no way you'd ever catch me driving out it that shit or at least, not on purpose.

lol, especially since around 10 miles past that tree thingie, are the bonneville salt flats, where you can drive safely to your heart's content.

37008886456_d913ff74ab_b.jpg

dixonk

Good save. I was out riding muddy dirt roads with my son a few weeks back and there was a couple vans with out of town college kids stuck in the mud in the middle of nowhere. Not sure how they made it as far as they did in their Dodge Caravans but they had no business being on these roads even if the GPS was telling them it was a shortcut. We winched them both out and turned them around the other direction. Not even half a mile further down the road we had to winch ourselves out it got so deep.

Danny

Years ago, I was bay fishing on a beautiful day. I heard strange sounds as we drifted across the skinny turquoise water jigging for specks. Once I realized it was voices shouting over the water from a 1/4 mile away, I realized they needed help. They had not the proper safety equipment on a company boat. Like a whistle or emergency flares. Those were the days before cell phones were prevalent. It was a beautiful boat, but not one for shallow flats. Needless to say, they run aground on the mud bottom and were stuck in the middle of the bay. The mud bottom makes a suction action on the bottom of the boats hull preventing any form or recovery. The only remedy is to manually lift the side of the boat (ourselves standing in the water) up and down repeatedly, to get small air pockets between the mud and the boat hull to release the sucking it effect. It did suck. Long story short, we were wet but we got them out. I remember the awe on their faces when it finally came free. Karma is real. Pass on the positivity forward. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T550 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

frenchjk

Done that quite a bit too....more often in snowy conditions though when people just slide of the road....:crazyeyes::crazyeyes:

LauraRose

Just one more Wayalife video that I can cite, while pleading my case to my husband, that I "need" a Warn winch for my JL! [emoji106]

Laura Rose from PA

LauraRose

A wife having to convince husband to
for mods? Have I entered the twilight zone? I thought it was the other way around usually.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
LOL, yeah, it usually is the other way around! My husband drives an F-250 & thinks my Jeep is "ok", but DOES NOT get the whole Jeep thing. He keeps reminding me of how much $$$ I've already put into my JL - then he says, "I hope you're done for a while hon", to which I reply, "how long is a while?"... opposites attract [emoji4] ... he did help me install my EVO Enforcer Stage 2 tho [emoji106]

Laura Rose from PA

MrGiant

LOL, yeah, it usually is the other way around! My husband drives an F-250 & thinks my Jeep is "ok", but DOES NOT get the whole Jeep thing. He keeps reminding me of how much $$$ I've already put into my JL - then he says, "I hope you're done for a while hon", to which I reply, "how long is a while?"... opposites attract [emoji4] ... he did help me install my EVO Enforcer Stage 2 tho [emoji106]

Laura Rose from PA

That sounds like a good Team [emoji6]

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

Jrip

Love seeing people helping others! You never know when it may be you or a loved one in those situations and hopefully the right person comes along!

When my wife was in college in the mid 90's, her vehicle broke down on I-30 in Arkansas and she did not have any way of contacting anyone. Being that it is a very busy interstate and miles between exits she was very upset and just sat in her car. Eventually a car hauler that was empty stopped and they were super nice and loaded up her vehicle and took her to the next exit. Just as Eddie and many of us are equipped to help others (and car haulers) it truly blesses someone when we do.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice work! Great find [emoji854]🧐

:cheesy: How'd I know you'd go there :crazyeyes:

:D Great job my friend--

One more for the gipper-

:idontknow: JIMBO

Good samaritan. Good job.

Well, I'm sure any of you would have done the same :)

Just one more Wayalife video that I can cite, while pleading my case to my husband, that I "need" a Warn winch for my JL! [emoji106]

Laura Rose from PA

LOL - hope the video helps :)