Removing 12v and Media covers JL

NickTinVA

Hi all,
Hoping someone who's maybe had the dash apart might be able to answer. I'd like to remove the flip covers on the 12v accessory and the "Media" plug-in area on the front dash. I'll be installing a semi-permanent wiring setup, and the flipped up covers don't look at clean, and hit my hand when I shift the manual. I'd like to remove them gracefully if possible.
20190414_113424.jpg

It looks like both are attached with a pin, similar almost to a watch band, but I don't know how to remove them. Does not appear to be a screw. Thoughts?

As an aside, I posted this question on another forum and got a ration of sh*t about how stupid it is to remove them. If that's your only comment, please don't, just move along. If you've got helpful input, I'd love to hear it. Thanks much in advance!

Nick

NickTinVA

Woof. Helpful, but only because it may make me give up! I wonder if I can just drive that pin out and remove the little door while leaving the rest of the part intact.

JTCO

Meme King
Woof. Helpful, but only because it may make me give up! I wonder if I can just drive that pin out and remove the little door while leaving the rest of the part intact.

Actually you might be able to.

I just remembered kinda what happened on ours, we were removing it to add a wired accessory to it since there was power there. It was then that I broke it, and then that I had to re-order that cap part. Regardless, as of now, the part that the cap hooks onto is glued into the dash. IIRC, the part that I actually broke, I couldn't find. Can't remember for sure. I just remember it was a pain in the ass to remove. Good luck.