JLUR vs JTUR.......value you guys' opinion

NFRs2000NYC

Owning a JKUR for the last 5 years, I really love the jeeping life. Was set on replacing it with a JLUR on 37s and the standard garnish, but then Mel decided to go ahead and ruin my plans with the EVO gladiator, as well as the Jeep Wayout concept. My jeeping activities are reserved to a few times a year when I take it out west, and that usually includes mild to medium trails, and only crawl rocks if they are on the way to a destination, I don't crawl for the sake of crawling, which is why I don't bother with things like offroad parks (ie Rousch creek). While the JL will provide me with a similar (albeit better) experience to my JK, I don't have any experience with the JT. From the surface, I can tell that tighter trails will be more difficult (ie threading through trees, or switchbacks like black bear pass) and the breakover angle is worse (although I'd argue, for the same reason the unlimited is superior offroad to the 2 door in MOST situations (not all) especially ledge climbing) I can't see too many drawbacks to going JT instead of the JL. I've never owned a pickup, don't tow, and don't haul anything, but it *seems* that for adventure travel (not gonna call it overlanding lol), it looks like the JT will be a bit easier to build. The Evo JT is a little overbuilt for me, but the wayout concept seems to be a great way to travel, and while Im home in NJ 11 months a year, I can remove the tent (really like that clamshell tent they put on the concept) and just drive around in the truck. Having never owned a pickup, I do worry for daily driving, just getting things like groceries seems to be a challenge, as you can't just toss them in the bed, so Im sure there are things I'm not seeing or thinking about. I figure Im not the only one with this dilemma, so I'd be curious to hear everyone's opinion on the two. Thanks everyone!

P.S. And everytime I consider the gladiator, the power wagon creeps into my head lol, and if that's not a better option than a gladiator. #firstworldproblems

JTCO

Meme King
Honestly it sounds like you don't really have a need for the truck. But for daily driving, it doesn't make too much a difference IMO. I've owned several trucks and they do fine for errands etc. The JT does have those cutouts in the wheel wells where you can place a 2x6 in. So honestly, you could build a compartment back there for storage/groceries/etc and not have to worry about them sliding around. I'm already thinking about doing something like that.

Personally if I were building an off-road adventure vehicle, I'd go with the JL myself.

NFRs2000NYC

Honestly it sounds like you don't really have a need for the truck. But for daily driving, it doesn't make too much a difference IMO. I've owned several trucks and they do fine for errands etc. The JT does have those cutouts in the wheel wells where you can place a 2x6 in. So honestly, you could build a compartment back there for storage/groceries/etc and not have to worry about them sliding around. I'm already thinking about doing something like that.

Personally if I were building an off-road adventure vehicle, I'd go with the JL myself.

One of the things I really wanted is a fixed living space so I can just pull up somewhere and camp without pitching a tent. For the JL, I was seriously planning on an Ursa Minor hardtop but the 12k is a tough pill to swallow. I don’t like the traditional RTT setups because I don’t like them high up on the roof like that, as well as them being annoying to deploy/pack, mildew issues, etc. With the JT, I like that you can have it mounted lower, and I also thing the JT will handle weight better than the JL. The tent on the wayout concept is around $2500 and seems to be a great option, especially with the setup that’s on the concept. Man this is going to be a really hard decision.

170-3tree

I'm kinda in the same boat. I had a jku a few years ago and miss it to death. I was pretty much set on the jlur next year, but now I'm kinda hung up on the Gladiator. but then, for the price of a Gladiator, the power wagon is sweet. I'm gonna wind up doing a multi day test drive in each when the time comes and make my decision then. The only real reason to pick the Gladiator over the power wagon is fuel economy and the removable top. The JL is becoming less of an option unless I wanna save a few grand. But having a truck would be good.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Owning a JKUR for the last 5 years, I really love the jeeping life. Was set on replacing it with a JLUR on 37s and the standard garnish, but then Mel decided to go ahead and ruin my plans with the EVO gladiator, as well as the Jeep Wayout concept. My jeeping activities are reserved to a few times a year when I take it out west, and that usually includes mild to medium trails, and only crawl rocks if they are on the way to a destination, I don't crawl for the sake of crawling, which is why I don't bother with things like offroad parks (ie Rousch creek). While the JL will provide me with a similar (albeit better) experience to my JK, I don't have any experience with the JT. From the surface, I can tell that tighter trails will be more difficult (ie threading through trees, or switchbacks like black bear pass) and the breakover angle is worse (although I'd argue, for the same reason the unlimited is superior offroad to the 2 door in MOST situations (not all) especially ledge climbing) I can't see too many drawbacks to going JT instead of the JL. I've never owned a pickup, don't tow, and don't haul anything, but it *seems* that for adventure travel (not gonna call it overlanding lol), it looks like the JT will be a bit easier to build. The Evo JT is a little overbuilt for me, but the wayout concept seems to be a great way to travel, and while Im home in NJ 11 months a year, I can remove the tent (really like that clamshell tent they put on the concept) and just drive around in the truck. Having never owned a pickup, I do worry for daily driving, just getting things like groceries seems to be a challenge, as you can't just toss them in the bed, so Im sure there are things I'm not seeing or thinking about. I figure Im not the only one with this dilemma, so I'd be curious to hear everyone's opinion on the two. Thanks everyone!

P.S. And everytime I consider the gladiator, the power wagon creeps into my head lol, and if that's not a better option than a gladiator. #firstworldproblems

Will you be keeping your JK or replacing it with a JL or JT? If you're keeping it, get the JT for sure. If you're replacing it, that does make it tougher especially being where you live. Out in my neck of the woods, EVERYONE owns a big full size truck and so places like shopping centers are made for them. In a place like LA or NY, having anything bigger than a SUV would make life a bit harder. The big question you need to ask yourself is, how often will you use your Jeep for what you're wanting? If it's often, I would get the truck as it'll satisfy what you're wanting. If it's only once or twice a year, it seems to me that a JL would make more sense to have.