Trektop NX

JrBiem

Tektop NX installed last night. Very simple, and straightforward. Took two of us a litte under 3 hours to finish it up. Used the instructions which are only "ok" imo. The bestop install video is very good though. Here's a few shots.

4448F75E-417F-4D48-85D1-249B2514BE8B.jpg

3D06C19B-CD03-4CEC-A7A3-B7ECF853E721.jpg

DCC77AB5-A2D0-4927-9D95-5A87AF2E0C48.jpg

JrBiem

Have they addressed the seal on the tailgate without adding additional weatherstripping?

I'm not sure. I didn't know there was an issue, but it seems to be doubled up back there. One of them popped off today and I need to put it back on.

The issue I saw on the back was the flapping window, which my top does not seem to be affected by. No flapping up to 80 mph today on the highway.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
There's no doubt it looks awesome, but I'm waiting for them to iron out early production issues. Seems to be complaints of flapping as well as a poor seal on the tailgate. At one point they were sending out pieces of weather stripping to connect to the pre-existing weather stripping, unfortunately it kept peeling off. Regardless, I'm certain that they will take care of you if you have any problems.

JrBiem

Just found a write up with pictures. That added weather stripping was included in my kit and is indeed what peeled off today. PITA to put back on too, maybe silicon will help??

JrBiem

Here's a pic of what's going on with the tailgate bar

420F0D31-B3D8-4CCA-92E3-E9CDFC9158BC.jpg

That sagging weatherstripping is supposed to be the "fix" for the tailgate gap people were having. It came in my kit but won't stay put. I keep putting it back on and it keeps falling off. I talked to Bestop today and they say it has been fixed. Sent proof of purchase and this pic over to customer service and they are supposed to send me a new part. So we'll see. I figure if the new part does the same I'll just button it up myself with some 3M weatherstripping adhesive. Will keep you all updated.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Here's a pic of what's going on with the tailgate bar

View attachment 10691

That sagging weatherstripping is supposed to be the "fix" for the tailgate gap people were having. It came in my kit but won't stay put. I keep putting it back on and it keeps falling off. I talked to Bestop today and they say it has been fixed. Sent proof of purchase and this pic over to customer service and they are supposed to send me a new part. So we'll see. I figure if the new part does the same I'll just button it up myself with some 3M weatherstripping adhesive. Will keep you all updated.
Hopefully they fix all the little things soon. Shame they put out this top unfinished.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well that sucks. Granted, back in the day, Bestop put out 3 different versions of their Trektop before finally getting it right and almost back to back. Of course, even though the previous versions SUCKED - they still charged people to make the upgrade.

JrBiem

Hopefully they fix all the little things soon. Shame they put out this top unfinished.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Well that sucks. Granted, back in the day, Bestop put out 3 different versions of their Trektop before finally getting it right and almost back to back. Of course, even though the previous versions SUCKED - they still charged people to make the upgrade.

Yep, you'd think as long as it took to release they would have an extensively tested product without issues.

I'm glad this seems to be my only issue, at least so far. No flapping window so seems that has been fixed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, you'd think as long as it took to release they would have an extensively tested product without issues.

I'm glad this seems to be my only issue, at least so far. No flapping window so seems that has been fixed.

LOL - You would think that after all the experience they gained from having developed and tested their top on the JK, they would have something without any issues.

Glad you're happy with what you got or at least, for the most part. As much as I've liked my Trektop on my JK's, I think I'll be passing on one for my JL.

JrBiem

LOL - You would think that after all the experience they gained from having developed and tested their top on the JK, they would have something without any issues.

Glad you're happy with what you got or at least, for the most part. As much as I've liked my Trektop on my JK's, I think I'll be passing on one for my JL.

No doubt, kinda shocked but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt (for now) and hope the new part fixes it. Will def report back once I get it. I honestly didn't do much research just figured since its been a JK option for so long it'll be good to go, so that's on me...there is def info out there!

And that's why I shared, to help people decide if they can live with these possible issues or if they may want to pass on it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No doubt, kinda shocked but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt (for now) and hope the new part fixes it. Will def report back once I get it. I honestly didn't do much research just figured since its been a JK option for so long it'll be good to go, so that's on me...there is def info out there!

And that's why I shared, to help people decide if they can live with these possible issues or if they may want to pass on it.

And I for one appreciate it. :)

Dale72

Caught the Bug

I'm having trouble with mine leaking from both front corners on my JK. Every time it rains both of my front door surounds are full of water and I have to take them off and dump the water out

Sent from my SM-G950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Almost wish I kept my hardtop

I like the look of the Trektop but I hear where you're coming from. It's funny because I've always sold ever hard top that came on all my other Jeeps but I don't think I'll be getting rid of the one on my JL. In a weird way, it's the first one that looks really good to me and much better than the soft top. In truth, I think the JL soft top looks kind of funky. For all the problems I've had with my Trektop, I think I'll sit this one out.

Dale72

Caught the Bug
I like the look of the Trektop but I hear where you're coming from. It's funny because I've always sold ever hard top that came on all my other Jeeps but I don't think I'll be getting rid of the one on my JL. In a weird way, it's the first one that looks really good to me and much better than the soft top. In truth, I think the JL soft top looks kind of funky. For all the problems I've had with my Trektop, I think I'll sit this one out.
I hear ya. When I go and trade mine in for a JL next summer I will just stick with the hardtop

jackthejl

My brother-in-law had the same issue with the gap on the rear seal and they sent out additional weather stripping. Out of curiosity does anyone know when they started manufacturing Bestops in Mexico? To my understanding I thought they were one of the few or only soft tops made in the USA.