2019 JL Rubicon ( Manual or Auto )

JL Rubicon Manual or Auto

• Total voters

Turk

Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum.

I am planning on getting the JL Rubicon, I just can't make up my mind on whether to get manual or auto. I have driven both over the years. I especially enjoy manual more, but not sure whether to go with manual or auto on this.
My main manual car was Mustang Roush, which was a lot of fun.. and I have Q5 as auto.

I test drove rubicon JL auto yesterday and today test drove JL Sahara manual.. I am stuck on making a decision now :)

In your opinion - which one should I go with and why? I am an experienced manual driver and I love connecting with the car, on the other hand..long drives / traffic can hamper the joy of manual where auto could be better option.
Although, I don't drive a lot since I got home office.. I mainly want to use it for daily driver, close distance, or go to beach / some trails and offroading here and there, nothing crazy tho.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you.

-Turk

Turk

Yes. I usually prefer a manual and have driven a manual most of my life. The new 8 speed is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Very interesting.. same with me always love manual.. when I test drove the JL Sahara Manual today.. the shifting felt good... but the clutch felt bit jerky .. pushes down very fast then gets rougher towards the end.. not sure why.. although I read it is much better than JK manual? Never drove JK manual before.

How is Auto experience compared to manual driving? If you could advise me some experiences on it, I would really appreaciate it.

ncb

I’ve owned nine cars. All with manual transmissions. The last was a JK I drove for 10 years. Just got a JL unlimited Rubicon with the auto and I love it. I had no issues with the clutch and going off road. It was all the red lights and rowing gears around Denver south suburbia that was getting old.

I got the manual and really like it. I don’t have to deal with traffic jams very often, though.

It is kinda nice to not have to worry about the autopark feature. Also, if you don’t manually put the auto in first, it seems to lose power in frustrating situations off-road. That being said, I haven’t seen someone stall the automatic.

Turk

I got the manual and really like it. I don’t have to deal with traffic jams very often, though.

It is kinda nice to not have to worry about the autopark feature. Also, if you don’t manually put the auto in first, it seems to lose power in frustrating situations off-road. That being said, I haven’t seen someone stall the automatic.

Same with me, what I do and where I am, I don’t deal with daily traffic etc .. I really can’t decide either manual or auto.. is auto boring? I know manual is lot of fun for sure. But in the long run which would be ideal you think?

MrMischief

I just recently traded my 05 Rubicon with the 6 speed for a JL with the auto. This is my 4th Jeep, first one with an auto. The 8 speed is a really great transmission, it just felt like the what was right for the vehicle.

penak

Banned
Go with the auto
o.png

Last edited:

SouthCo

The car I learned to drive on was a manual and I’ve had a few over the years. Always enjoyed them. All automatics are not the slush boxes they used to be... I love the 8spd auto behind the 3.6 in my JL and would buy the same setup again without hesitation...

Only you can really decide what makes you happy...

Danny

So I bought my 2004 Rubicon with manual because the auto still had issues. I have my 2018 Jl 2.0T and auto. Let tell you, this is the best auto I have ever driven. I'm glad I didn't get the manual this time. Its made by ZF. Each gear ratio is well balanced throughout the whole shift range. I love it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Definitely automatic. I was going to buy the manual, but one drive in the auto and I was sold. This auto is so smart and up-shifts and down-shifts intelligently, quickly, and precisely. I don't miss manuals anymore.

2018 JLUR. V6. Auto. Uniden 880.

Toycrusher

I'm going to dissent and tell you to get the manual like I did.

Facts:
the auto is a much better match to the torque curve of this engine.
Your Jeep will feel much faster.
You'll get better gas mileage
The manual clutch is too light with annoying take up right at the top of pedal travel.
The engine has frustrating rev hang making for difficult fast shifts
Auto start stop in traffic messes with your mind at times

Decision maker:
This is literally the last true SUV with a manual transmission. You will probably never get another chance to buy such a setup new. You are connected to your Jeep in a way not possible with an Auto. A manual simply puts a smile on your face.

Jeeps are emotional buys, not practical ones. Go for the emotional choice and buy manual