Mostly done

Peter Lind

With modifications, that is. Most IMG_6985.JPGIMG_6969.JPGrecently I added Rock Slide Engineering fender flares, DV8 inner fender liners, and an LOD OffRoad “stubby” rear bumper. So far I love the new look of all the additions. Hope they hold up over the long run OK.
Previously I installed a Mopar lift, 37x12.5 inch Cooper Discoverer STT Pro tires on Mopar headlock capable wheels, tailgate reinforcement and spare tire kits, a Poison Spyder front bumper with Smittybilt winch, and Rock Slide Engineering step sliders.
Whew—That was a lot of money to spend on a brand new automobile! But I think it was well worth it

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

LauraRose

Nice mods on your JL. How do you like the wheels? This might be a stupid question, but is that the simulated beadlock ring setup, or the actual beadlock ring setup?

Peter Lind

Thanks for the compliment. I chose the simulated headlock set up. I’m not a serious off roader (yet), so at this stage I’m holding off on the actual beadlock rings. But I like that this wheel accepts them if I want them later

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Those fenders do make it look JK-ish, but to each their own. If that's what you dig, then who cares what others think. On the other hand... A Smittybilt winch? You may be better with off no winch at all, as it may just give you false confidence in its capabilities. Leaving you stranded for the hungry wolves in the cold, dark night. Best pack a pointy stick, and be sure that at least one of your passengers runs slower than you.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Those fenders do make it look JK-ish, but to each their own. If that's what you dig, then who cares what others think. On the other hand... A Smittybilt winch? You may be better with off no winch at all, as it may just give you false confidence in its capabilities. Leaving you stranded for the hungry wolves in the cold, dark night. Best pack a pointy stick, and be sure that at least one of your passengers runs slower than you.

I was more thinking the square fenders in the round fender hole.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Peter Lind

Did Underlander JL wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Or did he/she simply miss the Kindergarten lesson to filter negative comments?
And Yes, going against the “Only a Warn winch will do” crowd, I chose a Smittybilt (God forbid!).
Stylistically, I’m very happy with the Rock Slide Engineering aluminum fender flares and DV8 liners. I happen to prefer the squarish shape of the flares over the OEM design. The little bit of body showing through doesn’t bother me, and I much prefer metal to plastic

JTCO

Meme King
Did Underlander JL wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Or did he/she simply miss the Kindergarten lesson to filter negative comments?

Lol. He merely stated his opinion which he's allowed to do and it's different than yours. If we all were set in the same mold, life would be pretty boring.

And Yes, going against the “Only a Warn winch will do” crowd, I chose a Smittybilt (God forbid!).

^ See above. You are allowed to do that.....

StingRubi19

Stylistically, I’m very happy with the Rock Slide Engineering aluminum fender flares and DV8 liners. I happen to prefer the squarish shape of the flares over the OEM design. The little bit of body showing through doesn’t bother me, and I much prefer metal to plastic

I think the fenders are fuckin hideous, besides that, its looking good. IMO!

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Peter Lind

“No ragrets? Not even one small one?”
Truth be told, the Borla exhaust is something I wouldn’t recommend. At least not the version I chose, the ATAK. Sounds good at idle and I like it OK when I begin accelerating, but at higher higher speeds, especially when the transmission shifts into a lower gear, it emits a tone which isn’t as deep as I would like.
With respect to the exposed body after installation of the Rock Slide fender flares and DV8 liners: maybe there’s a different liner which would conceal that. The fenders weren’t difficult to install but the liners were. Not all holes lined up. Where they didn’t I had to either modify the existing hole with a file or drill new ones. That worked out OK but it was a pain.
I suppose I got a bit carried away with modifications. This is the first Jeep I’ve ever owned, and I’ve wanted one for quite awhile. I wanted to make mine unique (in a good way, of course), and in short order I had all kinds of ideas of how to make that happen. Some of the modifications I made I like a lot, some not so much, but I’ve enjoyed the process, learned a lot, and now have what I wanted: a unique 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I didn't use any liners in my JK, front or rear. I used textured Rust-Oleum to paint over the body color and it came out great. That being said, I'll probably use liners on the JL but still paint over any exposed body color.

Peter Lind

Thank you for the suggestion. I may paint those exposed areas black as well. When I first did the installation I was alarmed at how much body (especially visible being white) was exposed. Didn’t expect quite so much. I kind of got used to it until I heard from some here in this forum how they dislike it.
Did you have to do a lot of prep to the painted body surfaces to apply Rust-Oleum?

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I scuffed the areas that I painted with some sandpaper. I certainly didn't take any paint off, just scuffed up the top coat. I then wiped it down with rubbing alcohol to remove dust. I had no problems with adhesion. It held up exceptionally well. The rear wheel wells in the JK never chipped from rocks or debris at all.