Loss of power in 4 Lo and 4 High

I took my JLUR to a Jeep Jam in Myrtle Beach SC this weekend. Everything performed wonderfully for a stock jeep... except.... there was a mud pit that you had to stay on the gas the whole time to get through it. I tried in 4 Lo with lockers and at the bottom of the hole, i lost power in the wheels... they just stopped spinning. Tried it again in 4 high with traction control off and had the same issue. Got most of the way through and the tires just stopped. I didn’t notice if the engine was still revving when this happened or not...

Anybody have a similar issue?

IMG_2706.JPG

IMG_2691.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Rgk401

Auto... I meant to put it in manual both times and forgot...

Ahh that’s the problem. A Jeep tech guy told me that it’s the computer throttling power. He said the computer thinks the Jeep is in a “skid” and starts throttling your speed,and the only way to avoid is it to be in manual mode. I asked him for a “fix” and he said a unlocked PCM that’s tuned might fix it but he couldn’t give me a Definite answer.

Rgk401

Ahh that’s the problem. A Jeep tech guy told me that it’s the computer throttling power. He said the computer thinks the Jeep is in a “skid” and starts throttling your speed,and the only way to avoid is it to be in manual mode. I asked him for a “fix” and he said a unlocked PCM that’s tuned might fix it but he couldn’t give me a Definite answer.

Wish I could help more but that’s all the information I have. Maybe talk with superchips and see if they know of any “fix”

Fantastic insight. Thank you. That should help me in the future. Thank you!!!

Spack

It seems to be an issue with all new JLs. I’ve experienced it in wet sand going up a hill and Eddie has documented it well in his JLX series. I personally don’t know of a “fix”, but manual mode seems to lessen the severity.

JTCO

Meme King
I stay far far away from mud. I'd rather watch people on YouTube deal with the eternal consequences of it.

I stay far far away from mud. I'd rather watch people on YouTube deal with the eternal consequences of it.

Yea. My pressure washer gets a work out when I do this. But when you live on the east coast, you can’t avoid the mud... I’d prefer not to get near the mud, but decent places to ride are over 4 hours away. Difficult with young kiddos.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’ll ask another stupid question.. in this situation when you need tire speed to get through the muck, what gear? To get through you had to stay on the gas hard the whole time.

I’m a novice, so any recommendations I’ll gladly accept.

Depends. It'll be different on a Sport/Sahara vs a Rubicon due to gear reduction. For muck like that and in a Rubicon, I probably would have tried to be in 4LO and manually shifted into 3rd. It'll still start off in 2nd as it always does but then it'll upshift to 3rd and stay there. If you get the hang of it, you could always rapid shift from 1st to 3rd as needed.

Depends. It'll be different on a Sport/Sahara vs a Rubicon due to gear reduction. For muck like that and in a Rubicon, I probably would have tried to be in 4LO and manually shifted into 3rd. It'll still start off in 2nd as it always does but then it'll upshift to 3rd and stay there. If you get the hang of it, you could always rapid shift from 1st to 3rd as needed.

Thank you sir. Appreciate the advice.