Just bragging a bit!

hbrhodes

I got my CB antenna installed! Cut the rear plug I ran the line through and used some plumbers putty/ caulk to seal up any loose spots. It's better than it looks!

I got two positive radio checks, and now I'm wondering how far does my CB radio range? Because I was asking for a radio check for 10 minutes before someone answered. :-(

I'll get a few pictures of my Jeep with the antenna and the Jeep when it stops raining. I bought a Cool tech JL antenna mount kit with a 4' firestick.IMG_20190406_140322321.jpeg

lé bntly. •|||||||•

Patrick

CBs don’t really cover much distance. Depending on how hilly or flat the area is, you might get up to 10 miles. Maybe more.
Quite a few guys go for their amateur radio (aka Ham) Licence that enables them to transmit with much more power and various frequencies...,these can use repeaters and the distance covered can be from a few miles to literally around the world! Take a look

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hbrhodes

CBs don’t really cover much distance. Depending on how hilly or flat the area is, you might get up to 10 miles. Maybe more.
Quite a few guys go for their amateur radio (aka Ham) Licence that enables them to transmit with much more power and various frequencies...,these can use repeaters and the distance covered can be from a few miles to literally around the world! Take a look

That's awesome! Thanks!

lé bntly. •|||||||•

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For me, the whole point of having a CB radio is so that I can talk with the FRIENDS I'm wheeling with. As in, they're just in front of or behind me. If I needed to communicate with someone 10 miles away, they probably aren't my friend and they certainly aren't wheeling with me.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

10 miles on a CB? I’ve never heard of anyone close to that.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

MR.Ty

You also have to purchase much more expensive equipment than just a regular CB. Then hope that the people you meet/are in your group felt like getting their HAM license as well. Like WAL said, the whole point to a CB in a Jeep is for talking to friends on the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

MR.Ty

I got my CB antenna installed! Cut the rear plug I ran the line through and used some plumbers putty/ caulk to seal up any loose spots. It's better than it looks!

I got two positive radio checks, and now I'm wondering how far does my CB radio range? Because I was asking for a radio check for 10 minutes before someone answered. :-(

I'll get a few pictures of my Jeep with the antenna and the Jeep when it stops raining. I bought a Cool tech JL antenna mount kit with a 4' firestick.View attachment 10331

lé bntly. •|||||||•

Congrats on the CB. As Notnalc68 said, get a SWR meter, go to as big and open space as you can find then tune your antenna to get the 1:1 (or as close as possible).

If you didn’t, you should power the CB directly from the battery to eliminate any EMI from the Jeeps electronics.

Also make sure you didn’t coil your antenna cable, that will prevent you from getting a good tune.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app