Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Just bragging a bit!

  1. #1
    Fresh Catch hbrhodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Poplar Bluff Mo
    Posts
    13

    Just bragging a bit!

    I got my CB antenna installed! Cut the rear plug I ran the line through and used some plumbers putty/ caulk to seal up any loose spots. It's better than it looks!

    I got two positive radio checks, and now I'm wondering how far does my CB radio range? Because I was asking for a radio check for 10 minutes before someone answered. :-(

    I'll get a few pictures of my Jeep with the antenna and the Jeep when it stops raining. I bought a Cool tech JL antenna mount kit with a 4' firestick.IMG_20190406_140322321.jpeg

    l bntly. |||||||

  2. #2
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    4
    CBs dont really cover much distance. Depending on how hilly or flat the area is, you might get up to 10 miles. Maybe more.
    Quite a few guys go for their amateur radio (aka Ham) Licence that enables them to transmit with much more power and various frequencies...,these can use repeaters and the distance covered can be from a few miles to literally around the world! Take a look


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    2,224
    Did you check your SWR? Do that, for maximum range. You can really only count on two or three miles. As said above, more depending on terrain.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  4. #4
    Fresh Catch hbrhodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Poplar Bluff Mo
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by notnalc68 View Post
    Did you check your SWR? Do that, for maximum range. You can really only count on two or three miles. As said above, more depending on terrain.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    I'm getting my SWR this Wednesday, the 10th!

    Thanks!

    l bntly. |||||||

  5. #5
    Fresh Catch hbrhodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Poplar Bluff Mo
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    CBs dont really cover much distance. Depending on how hilly or flat the area is, you might get up to 10 miles. Maybe more.
    Quite a few guys go for their amateur radio (aka Ham) Licence that enables them to transmit with much more power and various frequencies...,these can use repeaters and the distance covered can be from a few miles to literally around the world! Take a look


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That's awesome! Thanks!

    l bntly. |||||||

  6. #6
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    7,044
    For me, the whole point of having a CB radio is so that I can talk with the FRIENDS I'm wheeling with. As in, they're just in front of or behind me. If I needed to communicate with someone 10 miles away, they probably aren't my friend and they certainly aren't wheeling with me.

  7. #7
    Resident Smartass OverlanderJL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    4,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    CBs dont really cover much distance. Depending on how hilly or flat the area is, you might get up to 10 miles. Maybe more.
    Quite a few guys go for their amateur radio (aka Ham) Licence that enables them to transmit with much more power and various frequencies...,these can use repeaters and the distance covered can be from a few miles to literally around the world! Take a look


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    10 miles on a CB? Ive never heard of anyone close to that.


    Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2012 Jeep Jk - 37s
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40s
    1975 Jeep DJ5

  8. #8
    Moderator MR.Ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    CBs dont really cover much distance. Depending on how hilly or flat the area is, you might get up to 10 miles. Maybe more.
    Quite a few guys go for their amateur radio (aka Ham) Licence that enables them to transmit with much more power and various frequencies...,these can use repeaters and the distance covered can be from a few miles to literally around the world! Take a look


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You also have to purchase much more expensive equipment than just a regular CB. Then hope that the people you meet/are in your group felt like getting their HAM license as well. Like WAL said, the whole point to a CB in a Jeep is for talking to friends on the trail.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  9. #9
    Moderator MR.Ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by hbrhodes View Post
    I got my CB antenna installed! Cut the rear plug I ran the line through and used some plumbers putty/ caulk to seal up any loose spots. It's better than it looks!

    I got two positive radio checks, and now I'm wondering how far does my CB radio range? Because I was asking for a radio check for 10 minutes before someone answered. :-(

    I'll get a few pictures of my Jeep with the antenna and the Jeep when it stops raining. I bought a Cool tech JL antenna mount kit with a 4' firestick.IMG_20190406_140322321.jpeg

    l bntly. |||||||
    Congrats on the CB. As Notnalc68 said, get a SWR meter, go to as big and open space as you can find then tune your antenna to get the 1:1 (or as close as possible).

    If you didnt, you should power the CB directly from the battery to eliminate any EMI from the Jeeps electronics.

    Also make sure you didnt coil your antenna cable, that will prevent you from getting a good tune.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  10. #10
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJL View Post
    10 miles on a CB? Ive never heard of anyone close to that.


    Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    We use a base station for search and rescue. Typically 10-15 miles, but with a whip....steel 102 Ive gotten typically 7-10 miles.

    Its different for everyone because conditions are everything


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •