JL JOURNAL : Armoring Up the Underside with EVO ProTek Skid Plates

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody who knows me knows that I’m not really a fan of aftermarket skid plates. They're big, heavy, trap in a lot of heat, make it difficult to service the underside of your JL Wrangler and can make it hard to spot things like a leak. And, for the most part, the JL Wrangler already comes with skid plates to protect important things like your gas tank, transfer case and even your transmission through the use of a skid bar. However, there is one area that is completely exposed and could really benefit from some protection - the oil pan and transmission cooler lines.

While the oil pan is exposed, it is located close to the front axle and it's actually a lot harder to hit than most would think. So long as you pick good lines and/or use a spotter as needed, I've always found that you can get by without any protection for it. However, the transmission cooler lines are a totally different story. Over the years, I’ve seen where tree branches, roots and even rocks on the trail have been able to catch these lines and cause significant damage to them. Needless to say, it is for this reason that I decided to install some well needed protection for both and did so with an EVO ProTek Skidplate System. In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see how quick and easy they are to install and we hope you'll find it to be helpful.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

BUY EVO ProTek Skid Plates for your JL Wrangler
EVO MFG JL Wrangler 3.6L Protek Engine / Transmission Skid Plate
https://amzn.to/2U3LfjG

EVO MFG JL 3.6L Protek Exhaust Loop Skid Plate
https://amzn.to/2YaZT89

Buying from the links above will help to support this forum and at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support! :cool:

ImpactDoc

Super awesome! Thank you for the video on install, it helps to see what i'm dealing with when I install mine.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Great video! They look beefy!

Do you think you can get away with just the middle skid plate and not the side one that protects the exhaust?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Super awesome! Thank you for the video on install, it helps to see what i'm dealing with when I install mine.

So glad to hear that this video will be helpful to you :)

excellent video as always. On my wish list!

Thank you :)

Great video! They look beefy!

Do you think you can get away with just the middle skid plate and not the side one that protects the exhaust?

Honestly, I pretty much removed the one I had on Rubicat about as soon as I installed it. I'm thinking I'll most likely remove it on our JL as well. So far, I've not seen it to be something that is really needed.

CalSgt

How easy is it to change oil, any mess with skid pan.

Sent from my SM-G975U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I made a mess with mine... 4 & 3/4 quarts shot through the drain hole perfect. The last 1/4 quart dripped on the front edge of the access hole it ended up puddling under the exhaust crossover. I used about a half roll of paper towels and an extra 20 minutes to clean it up.

I replaced the drain plug with a valve and hose kind of like the one Eddie posted the link to.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Woot! I'm not sure what's better, returning from a restaurant bathroom to find that my food has been served or returning home to find EVO on my porch. 🤔

20190405_165514-768x1024.jpg

All right... Definitely EVO on my porch. 😃