What recovery gear are you using?

Tubbydude

Just getting ready for our off road season and don’t have a winch. What other items are you guys carrying for recovery gear? Looking at a 30’ recovery strap from Rugged Ridge. Anyone know use this or should I look at other stuff? I mostly do overlanding and some mild trails no hard core rocks, though.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A good tow strap is something every Jeeper should own. Aside from that, a d-ring or two to give you more options is a plus as well. For more advanced recovery, a short chain will give you even more options. Of course, carrying a small shovel and gloves can come in handy too.

WiscoHR

I would add a hitch mount d ring holder. I’ve needed one twice now to pull other people out. Our Jeeps have tow points but some other vehicles have nothing in the rear and both times I used mine it was people who were unprepared and stuck. As far as snatch straps I carry a 30’ Bubba Rope and a 30’ Warn.

Landshark99

for me the necessities are a kinetic recovery rope, a couple of soft shackles, some form of damper, a shovel, gloves, a jack and a good first aid kit . For more serious stuff I suggest a winch, some d ring shackles, tree strap, winch line extension, snatch block, and high lift with the wheel lift option

JTCO

Meme King
Definitely carry a snatch block if you have a winch. Here was a rollover recovery on a sidebyside that we stumbled across a couple years ago. No way we could have helped this guy out without a snatch block because there was no way to get a vehicle up where we really needed to pull from. I carry one snatch block and 2 tree saver straps.

1028171148.jpg

1028171156.jpg

1028171159.jpg

DavidDJL69

X2 on the snatch block, hitch D ring holder, and all the other good suggestions. I left my hi-lift jack in the garage a few years ago and it’s been collecting dust since. I’ve never needed it and plus, most folks don’t know how dangerous they can be if you don’t know how to use it correctly.

CalSgt

I know it's pricey but I love my ARB recovery kit. Packaged up nicely and high quality.

Sent from my SM-G965U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I put together my own ARB recovery kit with the straps rated at higher weights than the typical arb kit listed. The stuff I got is heavier than a jeep should need and I had to shop for each strap one by one spending little more than a complete strap kit but...

I can take it with me in my 2500 Sierra to the dunes and not worry about overloading them when pulling someone out of the sand. I actually started buying all of my recovery gear after a sand trip that I needed to be towed out of the soft stuff. Had someone not had a heavy weight bubba rope to drag me & my fifth wheel out I never would have made it.

If I didn't need to worry about my 3/4 ton Duramax I would have bought the ARB kit listed in the recommended tools section of this website.

Also, My ARB carry bag busted one of the plastic clips somehow & when I emailed ARB they sent me a new replacement bag immediately after seeing a purchase invoice... Great customer service with ARB