AGM deep cycle battery

What brand do people like for batteries these days? I heard the once leading Optima has declined in quality (manufacturing moved to Mexico, apparently).

Mud Bug

The last battery we bought was a few months ago for our LJ... and basically I just drove hubby to Advanced Auto. He got whatever they had in stock in the size needed. I think we DID look at Optima and the guy talked us out of it for some reason. (ok, husband was looking at batteries and I was looking at nonsense like air fresheners and steering wheel covers while half listening to them.)

benatc1

I've used the X2 from batteries plus a couple times. Very impressed, was trying to get my hands on an odyssey but at the time my factory battery was toast and couldnt locate one so end up with the X2..basically the guy who created the odyssey sold it and started X2 if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Jeeeep

Odyssey and x2 are pretty much the same battery.

x2 has a 60 mo. warranty vs. Odyssey 48 mo.

x2 is $100 cheaper than Odyssey at Batteries Plus

I have an Odyssey 34M-PC1500ST in my JK and has held up well.

I bought the Odyssey 34M-PC1500ST because of the auxiliary accessory terminals on the top but it was pricey.

Next time I think I'll go with the x2 and use a terminal multi-connection block

I bought a Northstar badged as an X2. They are not Odyssey. Batteries Plus will tell you they are Northstars and they come from the Northstar factory. Look at the casing, too, and you can tell.

Two things if you go Northstar/X2. First, the X2, at least when I bought it, had a better warranty from Batteries Plus than Northstar gives, for the same battery. Secondly, even if you have a local Batteries Plus store, order it online. You'll get a coupon for 10% off right when you open the window. That'll take almost 30 bucks off the top. I ordered mine online and then drove right over to the store where they installed it. They also used a device through the cigarette lighter that kept all the presets on the radio. That's with a 2008 JK, though. I'm not sure how the JL would work. Maybe just replacing the big battery, the little one would keep your presets and settings. I don't know.

Anyway, they are outstanding. I've had one for about 8 months in my JK and I'd never go back. It isn't a deep cycle, though. Also, watch out for AGM batteries at Autozone/Advance/Etc. They are usually not pure lead AGM, which is better. They are good, and cost less, but don't perform as well as a pure lead AGM. These pure lead AGMs can last 10 years or more.

One other thing. You'll hear people complain about Optimas going bad. Usually, they don't. They discharge to a lower voltage than a standard charger can recover. Most batteries sent back to Optima are recharged on a capable charger, and recover perfectly. I'd bet the same thing happens with other brands. Whatever brand of pure lead AGM you might buy, I'd suggest investing in a capable charger, such as one from Optima.

When my JL battery craps out, I'll be going with an X2, for sure.