Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VIDEO : OP ED - Are 5.13 Gears Needed with 37 Inch Tires on a JL Wrangler... and MORE

VIDEO : OP ED - Are 5.13 Gears Needed with 37 Inch Tires on a JL Wrangler... and MORE

I get a lot of people asking me a ton of questions on a regular basis and rather than let them get lost somewhere in cyberspace, Cindy and I decided to start answering them on our YouTube channel and in an all new series we're calling, OP ED. Essentially, we'll be creating videos where you'll get to hear exactly what I think and get my 2 on all sorts of topics regarding Jeeps and all based on the questions I've been getting. In this very first episode of OP ED, I'll be taking on the question of, "do I need to re-gear my JL Wrangler with 37" tires?" As an added BONUS, you'll even get to see something special, a kind of easter egg and totally unrelated to gears or tires, if you stick around to the very end. We hope you enjoy.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
    If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

Ha ha. Creative title. I see what you did there. Gonna watch now, and look forward to future OP EDs.

Very informative video. Answered some questions I had, thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2018 Jeep JLUR, Granite Crystal Metallic, Automatic, 2" Mopar Suspension Lift, 37x12x17 Toyo Open Country R/T Tires.

Been Around the Block
    good info, i'm running 4.88's in my JK and will probably do the same in the JL.

5.13's IMO still give pretty good mileage but given the PR44 runs JKU gears, are you not too concerned about the RP?

Jeep truck already in the garage! Good to be Mel

Good info about the gears. And love seeing close-ups of the sport JT. Can't wait to start building mine

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeeep View Post
    good info, i'm running 4.88's in my JK and will probably do the same in the JL.

5.13's IMO still give pretty good mileage but given the PR44 runs JKU gears, are you not too concerned about the RP?

Jeep truck already in the garage! Good to be Mel
    The difference in JK and JL ring gear in the Dana 44 is not that big that it would be an issue, while the pinion shaft on the JL is bigger, ring diameter is about the same.

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    You guys are working overtime on the videos! Cant wait to watch it, when I leave work.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Been Around the Block
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgelrod View Post
    The difference in JK and JL ring gear in the Dana 44 is not that big that it would be an issue, while the pinion shaft on the JL is bigger, ring diameter is about the same.
    yep, my question was in reference to the JL PR44 since it still uses JK gears

Thanks Cindy and Eddie for this new installment on your forum. Its like having a conversation with you and having you answer many of the questions the rest of us would like to ask. Your comments about regearing to 5.13s, both pros and cons, was instructive and very helpful to those of us considering a regear. Great stuff.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

In my VERY limited experience in running 37's with the 8-speed, I'm very happy that a re-gear is not entirely necessary. If there's anything I don't like it's the thought of dumping good money into stock axles.

Have you tried any of the other "37.xxx" calibration settings in the Tazer-JL to see if that helps downshifting without compromising speedo accuracy? I know that when I adjusted the Tazer for my 37s, the setting of "37.065" that you used in your TAZER JL How-To was not even an option for mine, or at least on the firmware that I am running.

Also, I understand that we are not discussing 4-wheel drive however I couldn't help but to think of the transfer case mod that was done when deleting the FAD on CODE1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast