JL JOURNAL : WORKING OUT the WOBBLE - Rancho Adjustable Front Track Bar Install

Eddie, I got the Rancho front track bar and initially installed it at the same exact length as the stock bar, mainly to check fitment and establish a base line to see the benefit of the Rancho with no other changes. Surprisingly (I have little experience with suspension work, so it might not surprise you or other experts) the steering wheel went off center quite a bit (20 or 30 degrees). I was puzzled by this so I put the OEM track bar back on and it was the same. I've straightened out the steering wheel and will next adjust the track bar to center the axle, so I'm guessing I'll have to straighten the steering wheel once more. It didn't appear that you had to do that, correct? Also, you torqued the track bar at 125ft. lbs. The Rancho directions say 110 ft. lbs. Which is the factory recommendation? Btw, I don't think the dealership had torqued the track bar tightly enough. I'm getting less shimmy now after reinstalling the OEM track bar and tightening to 110 ft. lbs. than before I took it off. Hmm.

One more question...How the heck do you get 150ft. lbs. of torque on that jam nut? Wow! Is there a torque wrench that can do those kinds of nuts? I've only seen socket-type torque wrenches. If so, I wonder if an auto store has one for loan? How critical is it that torque setting on the jam nut? Do those tend to loosen? Sorry for the peppering of questions. Again, I have little experience or knowledge of the details of how these suspensions and components really work and affect each other.

Thanks again for the VERY informative videos you've produced!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, I got the Rancho front track bar and initially installed it at the same exact length as the stock bar, mainly to check fitment and establish a base line to see the benefit of the Rancho with no other changes. Surprisingly (I have little experience with suspension work, so it might not surprise you or other experts) the steering wheel went off center quite a bit (20 or 30 degrees). I was puzzled by this so I put the OEM track bar back on and it was the same. I've straightened out the steering wheel and will next adjust the track bar to center the axle, so I'm guessing I'll have to straighten the steering wheel once more. It didn't appear that you had to do that, correct? Also, you torqued the track bar at 125ft. lbs. The Rancho directions say 110 ft. lbs. Which is the factory recommendation? Btw, I don't think the dealership had torqued the track bar tightly enough. I'm getting less shimmy now after reinstalling the OEM track bar and tightening to 110 ft. lbs. than before I took it off. Hmm.

It doesn't take much for your steering to go off center. A slight shift one way or the other in the mount can show a visible amount on the steering wheel. I always end up having to do a bit of recentering after installing a new steering component. As far as torque goes, 125 is what was used on the JK and it's what I use on the JL being that it's the same size bolt.

One more question...How the heck do you get 150ft. lbs. of torque on that jam nut? Wow! Is there a torque wrench that can do those kinds of nuts? I've only seen socket-type torque wrenches. If so, I wonder if an auto store has one for loan? How critical is it that torque setting on the jam nut? Do those tend to loosen? Sorry for the peppering of questions. Again, I have little experience or knowledge of the details of how these suspensions and components really work and affect each other.

Thanks again for the VERY informative videos you've produced!

There's nothing that I own that will help me to torque a jam nut. I just tighten it really tight.

GrayBeard

Well, took the plunge and installed the Rancho Heavy Duty Adjustable F&R Track Bars today. Very noticable improvement in the steering. I'd say about 95% of the ocassional irritating steering shimmy is gone. Steering feels tighter.

I'm still on the wait list for the new steering stabilizer. Dealership is expecting the new stabilizers in at the end of the month.

Sent from my SM-G975U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

DavidDJL69

Just to update. I installed s new Rancho trackbar and am pleased to report that it has solved the wobble I had before—same wobble at the same speed as Eddie showed in his video. The clevite bushing on the axle end was completely worn out. So much for Mopar’s Rubicon reputation. I plan to replace the rear TB as well since it was made with the same bushings. Might end up upgrading the drag link and tie rod down the road. Only 12,020 miles. Thanks again for the heads up and information Eddie and Cindy. Helped a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Update....My dealer put a new drag link and tie rod end on and it did absolutely nothing. I'll be putting that Rancho track bar on soon. I've just been too busy at work, but hearing others' results has me excited about it. After that, I'm going to anty up and put a Fox adjustable steering damper on it to seal the deal. At some point I'll throw a rear Rancho track bar on it to put the finishing touch on centering the axles.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I can give you my experience. I also developed wobble when hitting just the right bump at the right speed. I'm not sure if it was temperature related as it had been nothing but cold around here. It did become more pronounced when I switched from factory Rubicon tires / wheels to 37s while still on stock suspension. It was certainly an annoyance, and definitely not death wobble.

The wobble has completely disappeared following install of the EVO long arms and bolt on coilovers, however I'm not sure why. I am still running factory track bars, drag link, tie rod and steering stabilizer. Some may remember that I had purchased dual Johnny Joint aftermarket track bars, but they did not fit the front axle TB bracket or the rear EVO TB relocation bracket.

Finally, an update! After the installation of a third steering stabilizer, which improved things a bit for maybe 1,000 miles, the shake appeared again with a vengeance. I thought about it and decided it was time to order a Fox 2.0 (basic, cheaper version, not adjustable) and see how it did, after hearing from a couple of folks that said they had a good result. Well, it took care of the shakes nicely. The steering felt better than ever and the shake when hitting bumps was gone. I know that was treating the symptom, so I then Friday finally installed the Rancho track bar. Now the steering feels even better. At this point, I'm declaring the steering shake cured. If it comes back, I'll look at Metal Cloak adjustable lower control arms to change the castor angle, but I am optimistic that won't be necessary.

Thanks Eddie for all the help, especially the Rancho track bar. The fact it centered up my front axle was just gravy. This thing went from the worst steering I've had on a vehicle (not dangerous, but seriously annoying) to feeling fantastic. It certainly feels better than any Jeep I've driven, which is how everything on the JL was intended to be.

I'll check in here and there as the miles pile up, both on and off the road, to see if the fix sustains itself.

Last edited: