JL JOURNAL : Jeep JL Wrangler SKY ONE-TOUCH Power Top & Side Panel Removal

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While I'm not a huge fan of hard tops on a Jeep, I have to say that the SKY ONE-TOUCH Power Top that's available on the all new 2017 JL Wrangler is nothing short of AWESOME! With a rag top that opens with the touch of a button and super light weight side panel windows that can be removed with ease, this would definitely be the hard top I'd want if I had to run one. This short video that was taken at the LA Auto Show will demonstrate what I'm talking about.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said, if I were a hard top kind of guy, I would so want the SKY ONE-TOUCH. Totally gives you the open air feel if you want it and with ease.

Jeeeep

that's pretty impressive.

I like how easy the side glass panels come out, a feature I would use :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
that's pretty impressive.

I like how easy the side glass panels come out, a feature I would use :thumb:

The only thing I wished is that the rear glass came out as easy. As of now, there are no provisions to remove it but that is not to say that someone in the aftermarket industry won't come up with something :yup:

jolonghorn

I originally discounted this top but the more I look at it the more I like it. Argh. Wonder how hard it is to take off to put on a soft top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Really like how you can remove the windows but as WJCO said I would still want a soft top over this

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I originally discounted this top but the more I look at it the more I like it. Argh. Wonder how hard it is to take off to put on a soft top?

I was specifically told by my friend Mark, the designer of this Jeep, that while the top "could" be removed, he would NOT recommend it. If I could guess, you would have issues with the power top, it's weight or the structural integrity being that there wouldn't be much left holding it together.

Really like how you can remove the windows but as WJCO said I would still want a soft top over this

The only way I could see myself going with something like this is if I could remove the rear glass as well. With it out, I would almost feel as if you were stripped down with a safari top on and if you were to open the SKY ONE-TOUCH power top, it'd be like you were almost completely topless.

RMC2

I thought I had saw this top wasn't removable. I would look for a way to remove the rear glass, if it even meant removing the hinge bolts (if it is like the JK back glass). Then create a soft replacement.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I was specifically told by my friend Mark, the designer of this Jeep, that while the top "could" be removed, he would NOT recommend it. If I could guess, you would have issues with the power top, it's weight or the structural integrity being that there wouldn't be much left holding it together.

The only way I could see myself going with something like this is if I could remove the rear glass as well. With it out, I would almost feel as if you were stripped down with a safari top on and if you were to open the SKY ONE-TOUCH power top, it'd be like you were almost completely topless.

That’s kind of a bummer that the hard top is not fully removable.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That’s kind of a bummer that the hard top is not fully removable.

I looked and it is fully removable but Mark Allen was telling me that he wouldn't recommend it. He made sure to note how crazy expensive the top is too.

I’m shooting in the dark, but I bet it’s because it’s not easy to realign the power top portion. ??

I have a feeling this is a big part of it and the fact that it's gotta be heavy in weird places due to the motor that drives the rag top.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I looked and it is fully removable but Mark Allen was telling me that he wouldn't recommend it. He made sure to note how crazy expensive the top is too.

I have a feeling this is a big part of it and the fact that it's gotta be heavy in weird places due to the motor that drives the rag top.

Were you able to see the motor? Is it attached to the top itself or is it in the wire loom that the window wiper would be in? Any idea?

Piginajeep

Someone will ruin a couple before they figure it out [emoji16]