On board air - 24v?

MSUConrad

I'm currently looking at on-board air for my Rubicon. Seems like the twin compressor from ARB is a solid option with long term reliability. Any opinions on this? I'm looking for something moderately fast that will last 5-10 years if treated right.

Second, I have the turbo 4cy engine. Do I order a normal 12v compressor? Or a 24v one?

Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You should be able to order just the 12v I would think. The only issue I have with that compressor is that it's big and options for mounting it somewhere is limited. For me personally, I really hate the idea of mounting it inside but again, that's just me. While speed is nice, I've always found that I could get by just fine with their single compressor, even with 40" tires.

dixonk

There are only about three twin compressor mount options for the JL right now. There is the MORE rear mount that mounts on the rear fender well and hard top mount, there is a under passenger seat setup, and there is one that mounts underneath the Jeep.

The under the passenger seat solution looks to take away passenger foot space. I went with the MORE bracket for now and time will tell if I like it or not. I would prefer under the hood but space is in short supply.

Once Eddie comes out with the Single Compressor under hood solution he has talked about, more than likely my twin will go up for sale and I will down size in favor of the under hood solution despite the slower air up times.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

MSUConrad

You should be able to order just the 12v I would think. The only issue I have with that compressor is that it's big and options for mounting it somewhere is limited. For me personally, I really hate the idea of mounting it inside but again, that's just me. While speed is nice, I've always found that I could get by just fine with their single compressor, even with 40" tires.

Thanks for the fast reply. Why do you hate the idea of mounting it inside? My thinking was that is the best place since it's out of the weather / heat of under the hood. What are the downsides to inside the JL?

MSUConrad

There are only about three twin compressor mount options for the JL right now. There is the MORE rear mount that mounts on the rear fender well and hard top mount, there is a under passenger seat setup, and there is one that mounts underneath the Jeep.

The under the passenger seat solution looks to take away passenger foot space. I went with the MORE bracket for now and time will tell if I like it or not. I would prefer under the hood but space is in short supply.

Once Eddie comes out with the Single Compressor under hood solution he has talked about, more than likely my twin will go up for sale and I will down size in favor of the under hood solution despite the slower air up times.

Why do you favor moving to under the hood vs inside the Jeep?

dixonk

On another note I was supposed to put the MORE bracket on this Thursday and just called my vendor and he worked out a deal with me to swap out my twin + MORE system for a Single portable compressor that I can adapt to the under hood solution later on.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

LOL!! Well, for whatever it's worth, I should have the very first production mount in had this week, maybe as soon as tomorrow. After I confirm fitment, the first batch should be done in about a week. Hoping to have these ready to ship just ahead of EJS :yup:

Thanks for the fast reply. Why do you hate the idea of mounting it inside? My thinking was that is the best place since it's out of the weather / heat of under the hood. What are the downsides to inside the JL?

I carry a ton of gear as it is and the last thing I'd want to carry inside is a big air compressor too. In addition to taking up valuable space, I don't like the idea of getting wiring all the way to the back, how hot the unit can get and how loud it would be inside when running. There are a lot of times when I'm airing up at the end of the trail and Cindy may need to make calls for wherever we're doing next and that noise would make it impossible to do so.

For me, I've run a WARN PowerPlant on 2 of my JK's for years and always found it to be the BEST solution. However, I have run ARB single compressors under the hood on 2 other JK's and my TJ before and found it to be a great solution as well. While not as fast as my PowerPlant, I've always found them to get the job done plenty quick enough. :yup:

dixonk

LOL!! Well, for whatever it's worth, I should have the very first production mount in had this week, maybe as soon as tomorrow. After I confirm fitment, the first batch should be done in about a week. Hoping to have these ready to ship just ahead of EJS :yup:

I carry a ton of gear as it is and the last thing I'd want to carry inside is a big air compressor too. In addition to taking up valuable space, I don't like the idea of getting wiring all the way to the back, how hot the unit can get and how loud it would be inside when running. There are a lot of times when I'm airing up at the end of the trail and Cindy may need to make calls for wherever we're doing next and that noise would make it impossible to do so.

For me, I've run a WARN PowerPlant on 2 of my JK's for years and always found it to be the BEST solution. However, I have run ARB single compressors under the hood on 2 other JK's and my TJ before and found it to be a great solution as well. While not as fast as my PowerPlant, I've always found them to get the job done plenty quick enough. :yup:

As soon as they are out hit me up. I want one right away.

JTCO

Meme King
I'm currently looking at on-board air for my Rubicon. Seems like the twin compressor from ARB is a solid option with long term reliability. Any opinions on this? I'm looking for something moderately fast that will last 5-10 years if treated right.

Second, I have the turbo 4cy engine. Do I order a normal 12v compressor? Or a 24v one?

Thanks!

We run a twin ARB on one of our jeeps and a single ARB on the other. Both are great compressors.

Kaseym

Banned
Arb has a kit in the twin compressor setup that comes in a carrying case so you don’t have to mount it.

Attachments

• D09C2D1C-4107-4C4D-B1B8-7101CA9669F1.jpeg
    D09C2D1C-4107-4C4D-B1B8-7101CA9669F1.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 103

JTCO

Meme King
Arb has a kit in the twin compressor setup that comes in a carrying case so you don’t have to mount it.

LOL - because that would take up less room inside your Jeep of course. :crazyeyes:

I looked into this kit before I got just the compressor. If you see it next to someone in a video, it's fucking massive. Definitely would take up a ton of space.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I looked into this kit before I got just the compressor. If you see it next to someone in a video, it's fucking massive. Definitely would take up a ton of space.

LOL!! Without the tank, it'd be better but with it, it's crazy HUGE :crazyeyes:

Kaseym

Banned
LOL - because that would take up less room inside your Jeep of course. :crazyeyes:

It’s not that big. Takes up the same amount of room as a tool bag. And it’s not solid mounted. But then again I don’t carry 1/4 of the things you carry so it’s doable for me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It’s not that big. Takes up the same amount of room as a tool bag. And it’s not solid mounted. But then again I don’t carry 1/4 of the things you carry so it’s doable for me.

Honestly, I like the idea of it, I just don't have the room for something like that.

BillArnett

Thanks!

Here's what I did:

https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.p...n-air-compressor&p=13818&viewfull=1#post13818

Having used it this way for a year now, I'm pretty happy with it. So far not being able to put the rear seats down is not an issue for me. The noise is not an issue either since we're both outside doing the tires while the compressors are running. And it is very convenient and fast. I actually did benefit from the redundancy once: one of the fuses wasn't seated correctly so the corresponding compressor stopped working. I was able to get home and diagnose the problem at my leisure.