Gearing vs towing question

GrayBeard

Ok, I have a 18 JLUR (Automatic) with 37s and regeared to 4:88, love it. However I did it because we occasionally tow a 3000 lb trailer. 70% of towing is done on the rolling hill highways in Missouri, with the remainder being Colorado mountain highways, which we will be heading to this summer. Without the trailer and with the 4:88 gears this JLUR runs great, no complaints at all.

Today was first time towing after regearing. Could cruise easily 70+ mph and maintained speed However, at 70mph we were at 3200 rpm 6th gear. When it would down shift on hills, we would be around 4000-4300 rpms. Flat land, we'd be back between 2200-2400 rpms in 7th or 8th.

Tranny temp ranged between 195 & 216. Everything else appeared normal.

Question, is this normal rpm range when towing 3000lb trailer up hills or to high. Don't want to harm tranny.

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds about right to me. If you lived in California, your max speed limit for towing would be 55 mph and your rpm would be lower :crazyeyes:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I towed a trailer from Mississippi to California, an back through Colorado, in a JKU with 4.88 gears and 35’s. Yours sounds about right, and yes you’ll put more wear on everything towing, but I don’t think you are in danger of harming anything.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Ok, I have a 18 JLUR (Automatic) with 37s and regeared to 4:88, love it. However I did it because we occasionally tow a 3000 lb trailer. 70% of towing is done on the rolling hill highways in Missouri, with the remainder being Colorado mountain highways, which we will be heading to this summer. Without the trailer and with the 4:88 gears this JLUR runs great, no complaints at all.

Today was first time towing after regearing. Could cruise easily 70+ mph and maintained speed However, at 70mph we were at 3200 rpm 6th gear. When it would down shift on hills, we would be around 4000-4300 rpms. Flat land, we'd be back between 2200-2400 rpms in 7th or 8th.

Question, is this normal rpm range when towing 3000lb trailer up hills or to high. Don't want to harm tranny.

I was watching TFL's tow comparison test of the powerwagon and bunch of other trucks, and they were towing up the ike gauntlet and vail pass, all the trucks were in the high 3000s, with a 13000lbs trailer. Seems on steep grades it would be normal, although knowing that you were going to tow, 5.13s probably would have been a better bet. Just remember that you would fall into the "severe" service schedule so changing out fluids more often would be a good idea.

Jdofmemi

With the 8 speed, 6th is the strongest, as it is direct, 1:1 ratio. 7th and 8th are both overdrive, and by their nature weaker.
I would not be concerned with running 6th, I would be happy for it.

That explains why the temp is not climbing, as it is locked in direct drive.