BARE ESSENTIALS : Trying on a Little Something Smaller for Size

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Seems like you can squeeze some rigid dually's somewhere there, and they have a DOT approved road version of them....that is IF you are ok with square lights. The headlights on my JK (HID projector retrofit) are a bit brighter than OEM JL LED, but have the same quality cutoff (nice and sharp) and I wasn't comfortable with them offroad as my only light source. Having said that, all the trails I was on were new to me, you probably have much better knowledge of the trails you're on so you might be more comfortable. You also probably don't deal with as much sh!t weather, where headlights basically wash out and you can't see sh!t lol.

Actually, that's kind of what I was thinking. Not super fond of square lights but thought it'd might look okay under the winch plate.

As far as shitty weather goes, for the most part, no, we don't have to deal with it but we do get real winters here and this year was especially rough. :crazyeyes:

OJK12

I love it! My biggest complaint with most of the aftermarket bumpers is they are big and heavy! I have a winch plate on my JK and that’s all it is is a winch plate with end caps to clean up the look. Way cheaper and lighter!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Jeeeep

I like it :thumb:

As others have stated, all the bumpers I've looked at seem to weigh so much more than the JK bumpers and too damn bulky for my taste.

I'm beginning to wonder WTH has happened to simple designs.

I'd copy this look but unfortunately I'm afraid I'd have the winch stolen without the bumper to play interference.

benatc1

Definitely about it, one other thing I thought about from seeing it earlier was losing the fog light, but honestly the LED headlights are so good, not sure itll matter. Would definitely set up something though I'd think, which can probably easily be done either on fairlead mount or maybe one of the frame ends. We may even see some grill mounts.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JAGS

LOL!! I may see if I can work in some kind of lower bar that will allow me to incorporate fogs too. :cool:

Thanks! It's different for sure :)

Yes, it's a legit concern and one that I was hoping to mitigate by clocking the motor. Unfortunately, you cannot with this winch plate so I might try to create a cross bar to protect it OR install an EVO No Limits knob.

May not be your bag, but MORE makes a nice looking crossbar/sway motor guard that I’ve been eyeing in my cart.

As far as the no bumper, I think it looks pretty good on a well built JL. Certainly see the Moby resemblance in the younger bro. [emoji6]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I like it :thumb:

As others have stated, all the bumpers I've looked at seem to weigh so much more than the JK bumpers and too damn bulky for my taste.

I'm beginning to wonder WTH has happened to simple designs.

I'd copy this look but unfortunately I'm afraid I'd have the winch stolen without the bumper to play interference.

Legit concern I'm sure. Something I never think about. I suppose you could always tack weld a bolt or come up with some kind of theft protection though.

Definitely about it, one other thing I thought about from seeing it earlier was losing the fog light, but honestly the LED headlights are so good, not sure itll matter. Would definitely set up something though I'd think, which can probably easily be done either on fairlead mount or maybe one of the frame ends. We may even see some grill mounts.

I've been thinking about this as well and there are actually a ton of ways you could mount something up. Certainly, not the factory fogs but something.

May not be your bag, but MORE makes a nice looking crossbar/sway motor guard that I’ve been eyeing in my cart.

As far as the no bumper, I think it looks pretty good on a well built JL. Certainly see the Moby resemblance in the younger bro. [emoji6]

I've looked at the MORE crossmember and it's definitely an option but still "more" than I was wanting. Ideally, I just want to clock my sway bar motor and call it a day.

benatc1

LOL!! I may see if I can work in some kind of lower bar that will allow me to incorporate fogs too. :cool:

Thanks! It's different for sure :)

Yes, it's a legit concern and one that I was hoping to mitigate by clocking the motor. Unfortunately, you cannot with this winch plate so I might try to create a cross bar to protect it OR install an EVO No Limits knob.
As far as you know, is the JL sway bar motor the same as the JK? Or is evo having to redesign their no limits stuff?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As far as you know, is the JL sway bar motor the same as the JK? Or is evo having to redesign their no limits stuff?

The wiring harness connector is different for sure. However, everything else looks to be the same. I'm thinking I might pull the one I have on Moby just to see. If it works, I'll be ordering one up. :yup:

How dare you! Take it back! Lol.

:cheesy: Nothing wrong with black wheels and we've run them for years and years. Just a bit played out for us is all :D

benatc1

The wiring harness connector is different for sure. However, everything else looks to be the same. I'm thinking I might pull the one I have on Moby just to see. If it works, I'll be ordering one up. :yup:

:cheesy: Nothing wrong with black wheels and we've run them for years and years. Just a bit played out for us is all :D
Sweet, ill keep an eye out

wibornz

Ok, why do you have to do this AFTER I spent 500 buck on a bumper. I like this. Very clean. Now what to do with a 500 dollar bumper that's four months old.

NFRs2000NYC

Curious if the JL unit is still terribly not water resistant and not IP rated just like the JK, specifically the connector and those paper looking gaskets.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, why do you have to do this AFTER I spent 500 buck on a bumper. I like this. Very clean. Now what to do with a 500 dollar bumper that's four months old.

:cheesy: Sorry about that. I will tell you though, this is only 1 year in on a 10 year vehicle and we'll be making more changes in the years to come :crazyeyes:

Curious if the JL unit is still terribly not water resistant and not IP rated just like the JK, specifically the connector and those paper looking gaskets.

The electric motor and wiring harness look different but otherwise, they look the same. I'll be taking mine apart and will post up what I find.

Bumpit

Funny how well this compliments the JL, something I think the large majority fails to do in what's available at the moment. And while being pretty functional. The JL has great lines and so many bumpers just kill it imo.

Some sort of bull bar would be a must for me in deer country but I love it.

Rampart22

Funny how well this compliments the JL, something I think the large majority fails to do in what's available at the moment. And while being pretty functional. The JL has great lines and so many bumpers just kill it imo.

Some sort of bull bar would be a must for me in deer country but I love it.

I have to agree with that statement, most of not all of bumpers I’ve seen are simple retreads of the previous model for the JK. I’m having a hard time finding a quality bumper that looks like it supposed to fit with the JL. Allot of quality brands even here on this forum are just not fitting the bill IMO. Hoping soon in the further manufactures will match the lines and low, clean profile, functional that doesn’t look like a JK retread.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app