BARE ESSENTIALS : Trying on a Little Something Smaller for Size

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Years ago, Cindy and I saw a concept Jeep at SEMA that truly inspired us. During a time when bigger, bolder and gaudier was becoming the rage, this Jeep was stripped down of ever frill and setup with just what was needed and nothing more. Since that time, we've mimicked what we saw on Moby and Rubicat or at least for a time and now, we thought it was JET's turn. Clearly, this is far from being something that most can appreciate or hell, maybe something most would flat out hate but for us, this is a look that we've always love. Down and dirty and just the bare essentials.

20190320190900-d50a006b-me.jpg

20190320190914-56a6b93d-me.jpg

20190322165549-116a4244-me.jpg

20190322165558-91b68393-me.jpg

20190320190947-33711002-me.jpg

:cool:

BARE ESSENTIALS Front Bumper
You can install this minimalist front bumper on your JL Wrangler by Buying the following parts:

WARN Winch Plate
https://amzn.to/2OsCn29

EVO D-Ring Mounts
https://amzn.to/2unK14i

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
So I can assume you're not going to install a light bar?

EDIT - DOH! I didn't see it at first. Looks awesome. I'll tell you what, I've been falling out of love with my bull bar for the past several weeks, and I was either going to cut it off or sell it for a standard bumper.

NFRs2000NYC

Sucks that you had to lose the fogs, and also, I PERSONALLY like having a pre runner bar (tube pointing away from the grill) to protect against damaging the radiator, (also great against animal strikes because a prerunner bar pushes an object down under the tires rather than up and over the hood,) but looks wise, I've always loved the minimalist style bumpers. Also like the fact that the winch is now sunken in. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes sir. What bracket are you using the mount the winch.

It's actually just a WARN winch plate that I got for our OE steel bumper. I never got around to installing it or at least, not until now. I finished everything else up with parts I had laying around.

So I can assume you're not going to install a light bar?

EDIT - DOH! I didn't see it at first. Looks awesome. I'll tell you what, I've been falling out of love with my bull bar for the past several weeks, and I was either going to cut it off or sell it for a standard bumper.

LOL - it's different for sure but glad to hear others like yourself like it. :crazyeyes:

Sucks that you had to lose the fogs, and also, I PERSONALLY like having a pre runner bar (tube pointing away from the grill) to protect against damaging the radiator, (also great against animal strikes because a prerunner bar pushes an object down under the tires rather than up and over the hood,) but looks wise, I've always loved the minimalist style bumpers. Also like the fact that the winch is now sunken in. :thumb:

Back in the day, we ran a similar setup on Moby and with a pre-runner bar. I've actually been looking for something that could work in the same way but couldn't find anything or at least, that still exists. I may consider making something in the future if we decide to keep this setup. In fact, this setup is far from perfect and could use a few modifications but with them, it'd be a great bumper option. I may have to make it happen. :cool:

NFRs2000NYC

It's actually just a WARN winch plate that I got for our OE steel bumper. I never got around to installing it or at least, not until now. I finished everything else up with parts I had laying around.

LOL - it's different for sure but glad to hear others like yourself like it. :crazyeyes:

Back in the day, we ran a similar setup on Moby and with a pre-runner bar. I've actually been looking for something that could work in the same way but couldn't find anything or at least, that still exists. I may consider making something in the future if we decide to keep this setup. In fact, this setup is far from perfect and could use a few modifications but with them, it'd be a great bumper option. I may have to make it happen. :cool:

I agree, there are quite a few options on the market that each have something I really want in a bumper, but there isn't ONE bumper that has it all. Seems the thing to do is to get the best "base" and add things to it yourself. Funny thing though, I have an image in my head of what JetLi looked like this whole time, and now that you changed it, if I look quickly, it almost looks like the front end was damaged haha. It's a different look entirely for sure.

NFRs2000NYC

Doh, just looked at the photos again more closely, and realized it's not a bumper at all, but rather ends on the frame horns and a winch plate. Well played Eddie, well played lol.

dixonk

Truth be told that look in my eyes looks better than 99% of the aftermarket bumpers I have seen for the JL. I dig it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, there are quite a few options on the market that each have something I really want in a bumper, but there isn't ONE bumper that has it all. Seems the thing to do is to get the best "base" and add things to it yourself. Funny thing though, I have an image in my head of what JetLi looked like this whole time, and now that you changed it, if I look quickly, it almost looks like the front end was damaged haha. It's a different look entirely for sure.

I'm with you on this. There isn't a single bumper out there for the JL that I'm absolutely in love with. It's the biggest reason why I decided to try this on for size.

Doh, just looked at the photos again more closely, and realized it's not a bumper at all, but rather ends on the frame horns and a winch plate. Well played Eddie, well played lol.

LOL!! Correct, just a winch plate and d-ring mounts - no bumper at all. We ran this setup on Moby years ago with a hoop and liked it a lot.

Truth be told that look in my eyes looks better than 99% of the aftermarket bumpers I have seen for the JL. I dig it.

Too funny. I kinda think so too. :D

CalSgt

I like it! Not as much as the stock steel bumper though...

Is there any concern with taking a hit on the swaybar disconnect?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As basic as a pumkin spice latte :p:cheesy:

LOL!! I may see if I can work in some kind of lower bar that will allow me to incorporate fogs too. :cool:

Very clean. I like it.

Thanks! It's different for sure :)

I like it! Not as much as the stock steel bumper though...

Is there any concern with taking a hit on the swaybar disconnect?

Yes, it's a legit concern and one that I was hoping to mitigate by clocking the motor. Unfortunately, you cannot with this winch plate so I might try to create a cross bar to protect it OR install an EVO No Limits knob.

NFRs2000NYC

LOL!! I may see if I can work in some kind of lower bar that will allow me to incorporate fogs too. :cool:

Seems like you can squeeze some rigid dually's somewhere there, and they have a DOT approved road version of them....that is IF you are ok with square lights. The headlights on my JK (HID projector retrofit) are a bit brighter than OEM JL LED, but have the same quality cutoff (nice and sharp) and I wasn't comfortable with them offroad as my only light source. Having said that, all the trails I was on were new to me, you probably have much better knowledge of the trails you're on so you might be more comfortable. You also probably don't deal with as much sh!t weather, where headlights basically wash out and you can't see sh!t lol.