JL JOURNAL : A BAD VIBE - Tracking Down & Fixing Driveshaft Vibrations

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, you mentioned that you tried adjusting the pinion angle before getting the D/S fixed. Given the new PR44 install has built in caster, what pinion did you try to adjust for, even though the shaft was the cause?

I ask because just had my shaft rebuilt and balanced, but still have some vibration. I have a pr44 with 10 deg built in, pinion is at 0.

Thanks

10°? Really??? Was that custom made because 6° is standard. Are you sure the vibration is coming from your front shaft? Have you tried removing it and just driving with your rear shaft in to verify things?

Thanks for the input Eddie, much appreciated!

You bet :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes vibe goes away without shaft on.
My PR is the unlimited extreme. Angle finder on top of machined C shows 10. Pinion off pumpkin reads 0.

That's way too much caster. At most, you should be getting a reading of 6°. On a ProRock 44, you should practically be able to get your pinion in line with your drive shaft if not in line with it.

Deezus

Hmmmm I had that companies DS on my JK. I had a slight vibe I couldn't figure out..... Wondering if the "new" rear DS was the issue?
I'll probably go with a local companies this time. Drivelines of west sac will probably be the one otherwise I'll have to buy from a company everybody swears by and possibly pay for balancing?? Did you contact said company about your findings?
Thanks for the heads up....

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmmm I had that companies DS on my JK. I had a slight vibe I couldn't figure out..... Wondering if the "new" rear DS was the issue?
I'll probably go with a local companies this time. Drivelines of west sac will probably be the one otherwise I'll have to buy from a company everybody swears by and possibly pay for balancing?? Did you contact said company about your findings?
Thanks for the heads up....

LOL! Am I really obligated to? Don't get me wrong but I kinda feel like they gave me the shaft by charging double what it would have cost to have GOOD shafts made locally. After PAYING MORE MONEY to get it fixed, I'm not really in the mood to talk to these guys.

Deezus

LOL! Am I really obligated to? Don't get me wrong but I kinda feel like they gave me the shaft by charging double what it would have cost to have GOOD shafts made locally. After PAYING MORE MONEY to get it fixed, I'm not really in the mood to talk to these guys.
I wasn't saying you should, I was just curious if you did and if they made any excuses about their shafts. The reason I asked is because I broke my rear yoke on the Rubicon last year on my JKUR. I had no less than 4 people offer to give me a yoke and none of them fit.... I drove home in 4hi. I called them and told them what happened and they gladly sold me a new yoke for around, $100 shipped. I felt like maybe they should've done more for me but I just figured that's how it goes...
Again, I'm gonna find a local company to make mine as I don't think I should have to pay to have brand new shafts balanced.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't saying you should, I was just curious if you did and if they made any excuses about their shafts. The reason I asked is because I broke my rear yoke on the Rubicon last year on my JKUR. I had no less than 4 people offer to give me a yoke and none of them fit.... I drove home in 4hi. I called them and told them what happened and they gladly sold me a new yoke for around, $100 shipped. I felt like maybe they should've done more for me but I just figured that's how it goes...
Again, I'm gonna find a local company to make mine as I don't think I should have to pay to have brand new shafts balanced.

Sorry, didn't mean it like that. I've just had guys on YouTube getting their panties in a twist over this video and saying that I was some how obligated to contact this company and just wanted to clarify my position here as well.

Were you running a 1310 shaft?

Deezus

Sorry, didn't mean it like that. I've just had guys on YouTube getting their panties in a twist over this video and saying that I was some how obligated to contact this company and just wanted to clarify my position here as well.

Were you running a 1310 shaft?
Yes, stock axles. I should've had 1350 as the 1310 is actually weaker a bit than stock.
It could be an aberration.... Like maybe they skipped a step on yours but the ones I ran on my JK didn't have and weights on them either. I guess the only way we could know if this is there practice is if I buy a set and see if there balanced? [emoji6]

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, stock axles. I should've had 1350 as the 1310 is actually weaker a bit than stock.
It could be an aberration.... Like maybe they skipped a step on yours but the ones I ran on my JK didn't have and weights on them either. I guess the only way we could know if this is there practice is if I buy a set and see if there balanced? [emoji6]

To be fair, a 1310 is pretty weak as you've come to realize. Way early on, back in 2007, we tried running a 1310 on our JK and found out in short order that it wasn't up to the task. Ended up breaking a rear output shaft yoke. Since that time, we've seen plenty of others break as well and it is the reason why I only recommend 1350. That being said, I'm always surprised that name brand shops make or even push 1310's for a JK at all.

Deezus

To be fair, a 1310 is pretty weak as you've come to realize. Way early on, back in 2007, we tried running a 1310 on our JK and found out in short order that it wasn't up to the task. Ended up breaking a rear output shaft yoke. Since that time, we've seen plenty of others break as well and it is the reason why I only recommend 1350. That being said, I'm always surprised that name brand shops make or even push 1310's for a JK at all.
Yea, it doesn't make sense to go with a 1310 at all. What local place did you take your shafts too?