TUCKING UP the TAIL END on JET : Dynomax JL Wrangler Muffler Elimination

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not gonna lie, we actually love the sound of the OE muffler on the JL Wrangler and it pained us to do this. But, after hitting the muffler countless times and breaking 3 exhaust hangers in the process, it was time to address its massive size. Needless to say, we tucked up JET's tail end by removing the muffler and installing a Dynomax Muffler Elimination Pipe. And, while I can't say that I'm exactly thrilled with how our exhaust sounds, it isn't horrible and we do have a lot more clearance in the back now. Here are a few shots of what it looks like installed.

20190320190317-76459992-me.jpg

20190320190311-e4dc3a78-me.jpg

20190320190308-c57a5a17-me.jpg

20190320190321-f89a8df8-me.jpg

BUY a Dynomax Muffler Elimination Pipe for your JL Wrangler
Dynomax 39537 Muffler Elimination
https://amzn.to/2U1EKhq

Buying from the links above will help to support this forum and at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support! :cool:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Wow, looks like a lot of clearance back there. I too love the sound of the JL 3.6. How would you compare the sound now?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, looks like a lot of clearance back there. I too love the sound of the JL 3.6. How would you compare the sound now?

Not quite ricey but borderline close to it. At least, in my opinion. I'm not thrilled by it by any means but it isn't horrible. The benefits of not having a muffler hit everything maybe worth it.

Rubiman_JL

Not gonna lie, we actually love the sound of the OE muffler on the JL Wrangler and it pained us to do this. But, after hitting the muffler countless times and breaking 3 exhaust hangers in the process, it was time to address its massive size. Needless to say, we tucked up JET's tail end by removing the muffler and installing a Dynomax Muffler Elimination Pipe. And, while I can't say that I'm exactly thrilled with how our exhaust sounds, it isn't horrible and we do have a lot more clearance in the back now. Here are a few shots of what it looks like installed.

20190320190317-76459992-me.jpg

20190320190311-e4dc3a78-me.jpg

20190320190308-c57a5a17-me.jpg

20190320190321-f89a8df8-me.jpg

BUY a Dynomax Muffler Elimination Pipe for your JL Wrangler
Dynomax 39537 Muffler Elimination
https://amzn.to/2U1EKhq

Buying from the links above will help to support this forum and at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support! :cool:
Was hoping it sounded better..

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I should note that this is just MY opinion. I'm sure there are some people out there who think it sounds great.

Oh yea I’m sure people like it. I’m not a fan of it even on the 3.8. I like it to have a low growl to it. That’s why I like the rock crawler system on my jk

Jeeeep

I ran into another JL owner that had removed the muffler - personally, I didn't like how it sounded.

The pitch seemed higher but without any grunt ...if that makes sense lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yea I’m sure people like it. I’m not a fan of it even on the 3.8. I like it to have a low growl to it. That’s why I like the rock crawler system on my jk

Oh yeah, the Rock Crawler System sounds great with a 3.8L :yup:

I ran into another JL owner that had removed the muffler - personally, I didn't like how it sounded.

The pitch seemed higher but without any grunt ...if that makes sense lol

Yup, perfect sense. But, I think I can live with it being that it opens things up in the rear nicely.

JAGS

I saw a kit with a small muffler that ran in line and the exhaust ended at the rear. Can’t recall where I saw, but maybe Qtec.

Anyways. Do you plan on testing any other muffler delete/relocate options?

I wish these companies would include sound clips.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I saw a kit with a small muffler that ran in line and the exhaust ended at the rear. Can’t recall where I saw, but maybe Qtec.

Anyways. Do you plan on testing any other muffler delete/relocate options?

I wish these companies would include sound clips.

Agreed. Makes a big difference in purchasing decisions. Dynomax did post this one in another thread a few weeks ago. Here's the video:

Looks like WJCO has you covered but we'll include some sound clips when we make our video :yup:

I like it. Can’t stand the big factory muffler.

Yeah, I would have kept it just for the sound but it's just way too frickin big.

JeepJL

I should note that this is just MY opinion. I'm sure there are some people out there who think it sounds great.

I would have to agree with you. I changed out my exhaust to the MBRP kit and I lasted maybe a week before putting it back to stock. I’ll admit my rig was only a week old when I did it and just thought it was too nice of a vehicle to sound like that. Lol it’s stashed upstairs now in the garage until a later date and I’ll try it again [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would have to agree with you. I changed out my exhaust to the MBRP kit and I lasted maybe a week before putting it back to stock. I’ll admit my rig was only a week old when I did it and just thought it was too nice of a vehicle to sound like that. Lol it’s stashed upstairs now in the garage until a later date and I’ll try it again [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

LOL!! The thing of it is, Jeep really did a fine job of installing a muffler that makes the 3.6L sound really nice. If not for the clearance gained by not having it, I wouldn't have gotten rid of it.