Choosing wheels and lift kit?

Lurker

Picking up my 2019 JLUR on Saturday. It'll be my first Jeep, my daily driver (even though I work from home and it'll probably just be the school bus for the kids), and used for wheeling on weekends.

First batch of mods is:
LOD Destroyer Sliders/Steps
ADD rock fighter front bumper
Winch
Front and rear diff skids

Then I plan to drive it for several months, learn about wheeling, what works for the locals, and for me.

The second batch of mods is where I'm not sure. I'm leaning towards a 2.5" EVO Enforcer stage 2 (Or 3) lift with shock extensions. I know it'll look ridiculous but can I run with the stock Rubicon wheels and 33" tires for a while until I can fund the new wheels/tires? What should I be careful of/aware of if I try that?

As for new wheels, is there some optimum combo of offset and backspacing I should be looking at for 17" wheels? Tires will be 35" or 37", not sure how wide I should go either?

I'm relatively handy but I've never paid any attention to wheels and tires so I don't know what to look for, what to ask, or how to make sure they'll work with my lift.

Sent from my SM-G965U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Lurker

Ok, maybe that was too many questions at once.

I'm looking for a quality lift, 2-3", with a ride quality at least as "good" as stock while also being suitable for crawling? Most of my local Off-road use will be at a place called Hidden Falls Adventure Park in Marble Falls. TX.

I haven't bought anything yet, I have no brand loyalty, and I'm new to all this and trying to learn.

So which brands should I be looking at?

Thanks for helping the new guy out.

Rgk401

Ok, maybe that was too many questions at once.

I'm looking for a quality lift, 2-3", with a ride quality at least as "good" as stock while also being suitable for crawling? Most of my local Off-road use will be at a place called Hidden Falls Adventure Park in Marble Falls. TX.

I haven't bought anything yet, I have no brand loyalty, and I'm new to all this and trying to learn.

So which brands should I be looking at?

Thanks for helping the new guy out.

Evo and rancho is good quality for a lift kit!!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Rgk401

Picking up my 2019 JLUR on Saturday. It'll be my first Jeep, my daily driver (even though I work from home and it'll probably just be the school bus for the kids), and used for wheeling on weekends.

First batch of mods is:
LOD Destroyer Sliders/Steps
ADD rock fighter front bumper
Winch
Front and rear diff skids

Then I plan to drive it for several months, learn about wheeling, what works for the locals, and for me.

The second batch of mods is where I'm not sure. I'm leaning towards a 2.5" EVO Enforcer stage 2 (Or 3) lift with shock extensions. I know it'll look ridiculous but can I run with the stock Rubicon wheels and 33" tires for a while until I can fund the new wheels/tires? What should I be careful of/aware of if I try that?

As for new wheels, is there some optimum combo of offset and backspacing I should be looking at for 17" wheels? Tires will be 35" or 37", not sure how wide I should go either?

I'm relatively handy but I've never paid any attention to wheels and tires so I don't know what to look for, what to ask, or how to make sure they'll work with my lift.

And as for tires go with 12.5 or 13.5 wide. And please post a picture of your Jeep so we can see what your working with? :)

Lurker

And as for tires go with 12.5 or 13.5 wide. And please post a picture of your Jeep so we can see what your working with? :)

Now THAT is something I can manage to do. Very excited to pick it up on Saturday. I grew up a few blocks away from the Toledo jeep factory and have wanted one for decades... Finally getting one and want to do it up right!

image1.jpegimage3.jpeg

Rgk401

Now THAT is something I can manage to do. Very excited to pick it up on Saturday. I grew up a few blocks away from the Toledo jeep factory and have wanted one for decades... Finally getting one and want to do it up right!

View attachment 9805View attachment 9806

Very nice!! Check out wayalife on YouTube for install videos. He’s installed a few different lift kits.

Jdofmemi

I just put the EVO 2.5" lift on.
Tires are 37-13.50-17 Toyos on factory wheels with 1-5/8" spacers.

No rubbing in the front, very minor in the rear, on the inner fender. A heat gun will fix it up if it bothers you.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190326_182133-1008x756.jpg
    MVIMG_20190326_182133-1008x756.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_20190326_182255-1008x756.jpg
    IMG_20190326_182255-1008x756.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_20190326_182239-1008x756.jpg
    IMG_20190326_182239-1008x756.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_20190326_134051-1008x756.jpg
    IMG_20190326_134051-1008x756.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 228

Lurker

I just put the EVO 2.5" lift on.
Tires are 37-13.50-17 Toyos on factory wheels with 1-5/8" spacers.

No rubbing in the front, very minor in the rear, on the inner fender. A heat gun will fix it up if it bothers you.

Thanks for sharing! That's pretty much the setup I'm looking at. That's a great looking Jeep too!

Lurker

Never a body lift on a Jeep , IMHO

as seen above, plenty of room for 37's with that small of lift.
If you want bigger tires, pull the inner fenders and 40's fit

Ordered my Evo enforcer 2.5" stage 3 lift today... Too bad I'll be running around on the stock 33's until I can save up enough for new wheels and tires.

Thanks for the post and pictures.

dixonk

Ordered my Evo enforcer 2.5" stage 3 lift today... Too bad I'll be running around on the stock 33's until I can save up enough for new wheels and tires.

Thanks for the post and pictures.

I will have my EVO 2.5 stage 4 wrapped up tomorrow. Whatever you do...don’t get a jack and see what your Jeep will look like 2.5” higher with stock wheels and tires. It will cost you, don’t ask me how I know.

Lurker

Couple of follow up questions for the group.

How often should you grease the Johnny Joints?

At least on the front lower control arms, how do you get to the zerk nipples since they're somewhat covered by the bracket? Can you use a specific firing for the grease gun or so you have to drop the control arm?

JTCO

Meme King
How often should you grease the Johnny Joints?

I grease mine about every oil change.

At least on the front lower control arms, how do you get to the zerk nipples since they're somewhat covered by the bracket? Can you use a specific firing for the grease gun or so you have to drop the control arm?

If the JL is like the JK, there may be a hole in the bracket, see this thread:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...LES-Front-Lower-Control-Arm-Greasing-Solution

Also there are several fittings for grease guns. Those may work as well.

Lurker

I grease mine about every oil change.

If the JL is like the JK, there may be a hole in the bracket, see this thread:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...LES-Front-Lower-Control-Arm-Greasing-Solution

Also there are several fittings for grease guns. Those may work as well.
Thanks! I'm new to Jeeps and especially to greasing Johnny joints. I did find a couple 90° grease fittings so I can give those a try too as i didn't see/feel a hole that lined up with the nipple.

Last edited: