JL JOURNAL : Jeep JL Wrangler Fender Features & Shock Mount Changes

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
At the official LA Auto Show reveal of the all new 2017 Jeep JL Wrangler, Tony Carvallo, the product planning manger for Wrangler was telling me about some of the cool design features of the fenders and how easy they would be to modify. He also showed me some of the changes made to the shock mounts up front and how they've been relocated to the outside of the frame rails in the rear. Check it out!

Jeeeep

I agree on that front shock nut..what a PIA that's been.

arghh!!!! I was wanting to wait for the diesel but SOB!!! there is a lot to like about the JL

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So happy that stud is gone up front! That easily added 30 mins a side to remove the shocks and another 30 to install a new set of shocks. This will make life so much easier

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You know what else I noticed, the pinch seems are cleaner around the back and of course it’s trimmed from the factory.

This ^^^^

I always wondered what they were thinking when they released the JK with that tire-slicer of a pinch seam :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Cool. I think I remember him telling me that now.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I think you don't see much of them now because the new fenders just look cool. They are a LOT narrower than the JK fenders and they also have the black trim on the edge of them. This gives them more of a CJ look or at least to me anyway. See, painted fenders with black flares :yup:

20170806170758-5617c5df-me.jpg

benatc1

big fan on the upper front shock change - what a pain that nut was/is- also i wonder if that fender is a 2 piece so you could just remove the inner and the black part and have a perfectly "cut" fender, if not if do appreciate the cut guide they will be providing from the factory lol:thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
big fan on the upper front shock change - what a pain that nut was/is- also i wonder if that fender is a 2 piece so you could just remove the inner and the black part and have a perfectly "cut" fender, if not if do appreciate the cut guide they will be providing from the factory lol:thumb:

LOL!! It really is a crazy thing how a simple change could make everyone so happy :D

As far as the fender goes, I really like the way the look painted and with the black trim and it's gonna be harder for me to remove them just to gain more clearance :doh:

benatc1

LOL!! It really is a crazy thing how a simple change could make everyone so happy :D

As far as the fender goes, I really like the way the look painted and with the black trim and it's gonna be harder for me to remove them just to gain more clearance :doh:

I do like the paint/black trim as well, seems like the JL offers a bit more clearance anyway so may not be an issue, I guess you’ll get find out and let us all know lol!!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I do like the paint/black trim as well, seems like the JL offers a bit more clearance anyway so may not be an issue, I guess you’ll get find out and let us all know lol!!

Well, the Rubicon fenders are higher to begin with so hopefully I can keep them as is. :D