A Bit of UNDER ARMOR for JET : EVO MFG JL Wrangler ProTek Skid Plates

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Been crazy busy with various installs and making videos for everything but I thought I would take a moment and post up some pics of what we've been doing. First up, here are a few shots of the new EVO Manufacturing ProTek Engine/Transmission and Exhaust Loop Skid Plates that we just installed on JET Li - our Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. Of course, we'll post up an installation video of this in the near future. Hope you like what you see :)

20190320185839-c7a02a11-me.jpg

20190320185831-25577b07-me.jpg

20190320185833-52c53b60-me.jpg

20190320185825-b9310840-me.jpg

20190320185823-69bfe51c-me.jpg

BUY EVO ProTek Skid Plates for your JL Wrangler
EVO MFG JL Wrangler 3.6L Protek Engine / Transmission Skid Plate
https://amzn.to/2U3LfjG

EVO MFG JL 3.6L Protek Exhaust Loop Skid Plate
https://amzn.to/2YaZT89

Buying from the links above will help to support this forum and at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support! :cool:

NFRs2000NYC

Awesome. Love the fact their system is "open" and doesn't encase all the hot components, Exactly what skids should be, nicely done. Will be curious to hear your opinion on oil changes with an access hole style skid, but I think maybe with a fumoto valve it can become relatively painless.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
These look awesome, are definitely on the list! Thanks for sharing!

They're definitely beefy and up to the task of protecting the engine, transmission and exhaust loop. :yup:

I need to get these ordered soon. Looking forward to an install video.

Hope to get it up soon. :cool:

Good looking system.

It's a lot cleaner and simpler than what they had for the JK that's for sure.

Awesome. Love the fact their system is "open" and doesn't encase all the hot components, Exactly what skids should be, nicely done. Will be curious to hear your opinion on oil changes with an access hole style skid, but I think maybe with a fumoto valve it can become relatively painless.

It's funny because I'm actually not as fond of this new "open" system. I really would have preferred what they had for the JK and that was minimal skids that just protected what needed to be protected and nothing else. I've run skids like this on my TJ and hated the way it hung down so much lower and almost guaranteed that I'd hit it. Of course, I've never been a big fan of aftermarket skids and wouldn't have installed anything if it weren't for the lame transmission coolers just hanging down there to get ripped off by a renegade root or branch - something I have seen before.

As far as oil changes go, I ran a Fumoto valve on my TJ when running a similar skid and it worked well. At least you can hook up a hose to it and make for a really clean draining.

ddays v2

When the UPS guy brought the boxes in I was really surprised how big they were. But then again, there's really many better mounting points for a smaller one that would protect those lines. I've also managed to smash the shit out of the exhaust crossover already (Cozdude's fault :() so I'm kinda glad that's covered.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When the UPS guy brought the boxes in I was really surprised how big they were. But then again, there's really many better mounting points for a smaller one that would protect those lines. I've also managed to smash the shit out of the exhaust crossover already (Cozdude's fault :() so I'm kinda glad that's covered.

LOL!! Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have the protection, I just wish EVO would have made more effort to slim it down the way they did for the JK. Who knows, maybe making big broad overwhelming strokes is the only way to do it on a JL.

JAGS

Hey. You saved a few bucks. You don’t need the FAD skid now with the PR44JL. [emoji6][emoji106]

Is interesting on the oil pan skid. I wonder if dealer oil service would be an issue.

NFRs2000NYC

They're definitely beefy and up to the task of protecting the engine, transmission and exhaust loop. :yup:

Hope to get it up soon. :cool:

It's a lot cleaner and simpler than what they had for the JK that's for sure.

It's funny because I'm actually not as fond of this new "open" system. I really would have preferred what they had for the JK and that was minimal skids that just protected what needed to be protected and nothing else. I've run skids like this on my TJ and hated the way it hung down so much lower and almost guaranteed that I'd hit it. Of course, I've never been a big fan of aftermarket skids and wouldn't have installed anything if it weren't for the lame transmission coolers just hanging down there to get ripped off by a renegade root or branch - something I have seen before.

As far as oil changes go, I ran a Fumoto valve on my TJ when running a similar skid and it worked well. At least you can hook up a hose to it and make for a really clean draining.

Interesting, I have the evo jk skids on my rig, and since they bolt to the bottom of the frame rails, your photos make it look like the JL ones are tucked up higher but it might just be the angle of the photo.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a worthwhile addition.

Now they need some rock rash applied. They are way too shiny🤣

LOL!! I know, need to get that fixed :D

Looking good!

Thanks! Been needing something to protect those cooler lines for a while now :crazyeyes:

Thanks Eddie. These are on my build list and excited to see the install and how they do on the trail.

Oh, I can guarantee you that they'll get the job done and well. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey. You saved a few bucks. You don’t need the FAD skid now with the PR44JL. [emoji6][emoji106]

Is interesting on the oil pan skid. I wonder if dealer oil service would be an issue.

:cheesy: That's one way of looking at it :crazyeyes:

Shouldn't be an issue to change the oil being that you can easily get to the drain bolt.

Nice. I'm definitely in for the Engine/Transmission skids due to those transmission lines.

Yup, that was the biggest reason why we wanted it :yup:

Interesting, I have the evo jk skids on my rig, and since they bolt to the bottom of the frame rails, your photos make it look like the JL ones are tucked up higher but it might just be the angle of the photo.

We ran the EVO skids on our 2012 JK as well and you could be right, the ones for the JL might be a bit higher. I'll have to look back at some older photos to see.

silverbullet88

What about the bolt heads? One of mine is buggered up and now have to use the next socket size up..I imagine they would eventually become very difficult to remove.

A note for the manual transmission owners. We do not have the little crossmember that goes under the auto trans pan so we will be one bolt short. Evo asked me to send some pictures. I went to the hardware store and picked up the proper size bolt. The hole is already there and threaded so not a huge deal!

I circled the crossbar and the extra bolt we don’t have

EF83C900-0440-4C7C-9169-22FF85870FC6.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What about the bolt heads? One of mine is buggered up and now have to use the next socket size up..I imagine they would eventually become very difficult to remove.

I've always just let my bolt heads get buggered up. If and when I need to remove them, I simply file down the sides and they're usable again. No big deal.

A note for the manual transmission owners. We do not have the little crossmember that goes under the auto trans pan so we will be one bolt short. Evo asked me to send some pictures. I went to the hardware store and picked up the proper size bolt. The hole is already there and threaded so not a huge deal!

I circled the crossbar and the extra bolt we don’t have

Honestly, if I still drove a manual, I wouldn't even bother installing something like this. Certainly, back when Moby was still a 6-speed, we never ran a skid. Hell, we still don't :crazyeyes: