Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California (and the area) peeps, help me with my vacation :)

Knows a Thing or Two NFRs2000NYC's Avatar

California (and the area) peeps, help me with my vacation :)

So the wife and I are flying into LAX on April 7th-14th for a little r&r. We're looking to mostly spend our time in nature, hiking, mostly in the national parks. Wanted to take her to Sequoia, kings canyon, yosemite, maybe death valley and possibly joshua tree. I havent been to the first 3 since I was a kid, and have never been to the last two period. I will be Jeepless sadly, as our 1 week time frame didn't allow me to drive mine out from NJ, so I rented an audi Q3 from Silvercar. How is the weather in that area in early april? I heard the wildflower blooms just start happening, but some roads are still closed. Also would love to soak in some hot springs along the way, but preferably not those "hot puddles" with 100 people in them. Any advice on the area for this time of year?

The hot springs usually have old people with naked hairy balls hanging out. If thatís your thing they are fun. If itís not, itís a little weird.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJL View Post
    The hot springs usually have old people with naked hairy balls hanging out. If thatís your thing they are fun. If itís not, itís a little weird.

Lol, yea thatís not my thing. Thought maybe they would be similar to those in Colorado or Wyoming but seems like Iíll be confined to the hot tubs of my airbnbs. How bad is the snow in Yosemite at that time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
    Lol, yea thatís not my thing. Thought maybe they would be similar to those in Colorado or Wyoming but seems like Iíll be confined to the hot tubs of my airbnbs. How bad is the snow in Yosemite at that time of year?
    They got a lot this year. Another storm coming in this week. I might take that off the list or call the park the week before you come out.

2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

As mentioned, the Sierra's got a record amount of snow this year. Should make for a spectacular visit. I would for sure call the ranger station ahead of time to verify road conditions.

Regarding hot springs, what Adam said. There are good ones out there but they're hard to find and nobody will tell you where they're at. The ones you can find are hippy hangouts and kind of nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJL View Post
    They got a lot this year. Another storm coming in this week. I might take that off the list or call the park the week before you come out.

Thought youíd be a good person to ask....any awesome ďmust eatĒ spots along my path? Not really looking for fine dining, but love good unique dives and street food.

California (and the area) peeps, help me with my vacation :)

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    As mentioned, the Sierra's got a record amount of snow this year. Should make for a spectacular visit. I would for sure call the ranger station ahead of time to verify road conditions.

Regarding hot springs, what Adam said. There are good ones out there but they're hard to find and nobody will tell you where they're at. The ones you can find are hippy hangouts and kind of nasty.
    Thanks as always for the candor. Do you think the Joshua tree NP is worth the detour or is it just full of hippies on peyote and isnít worth a stop? Also, I can count on your honest opinion here lol, do you think a rental Audi Q5 can make it to the racetrack in Death Valley or am I gonna kill it?

Thanks as always for the candor. Do you think the Joshua tree NP is worth the detour or is it just full of hippies on peyote and isnít worth a stop? Also, I can count on your honest opinion here lol, do you think a rental Audi Q5 can make it to the racetrack in Death Valley or am I gonna kill it?
    Personally, I think Joshua Tree is overrated for what it is. Sure, it's pretty but there are places I can think of that are just as pretty if not more so and without the crowds or the dumpy areas surrounding it. Death Valley is a must and I would HIGHLY recommend it especially over Joshua Tree. Depending on how you route your trip, you can make your way out to the Owens Valley. Super beautiful there especially with the Sierra's being so white capped right now. This will also take you out to Lone Pine and out there, you can visit the Alabama Hills which look a lot like Joshua Tree. Tons of movies have been filmed out there as well and it's well worth the visit. I should note, this is all Q5 friendly too.

Regarding the Racetrack, yes, you can make it there in the Q5. Just take your time and enjoy the scenery along the way. Make a stop over at Teakettle Junction and take some pics. More than likely, there will still be some wildflowers in bloom too.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Personally, I think Joshua Tree is overrated for what it is. Sure, it's pretty but there are places I can think of that are just as pretty if not more so and without the crowds or the dumpy areas surrounding it. Death Valley is a must and I would HIGHLY recommend it especially over Joshua Tree. Depending on how you route your trip, you can make your way out to the Owens Valley. Super beautiful there especially with the Sierra's being so white capped right now. This will also take you out to Lone Pine and out there, you can visit the Alabama Hills which look a lot like Joshua Tree. Tons of movies have been filmed out there as well and it's well worth the visit. I should note, this is all Q5 friendly too.

Regarding the Racetrack, yes, you can make it there in the Q5. Just take your time and enjoy the scenery along the way. Make a stop over at Teakettle Junction and take some pics. More than likely, there will still be some wildflowers in bloom too.
    Thanks dude, appreciate it as always. Just check your PMs from time to time, in case I need to send out an SOS signal haha

Thought youíd be a good person to ask....any awesome ďmust eatĒ spots along my path? Not really looking for fine dining, but love good unique dives and street food.
    Steaks and Beer in Tecopa. Best food Iíve had in a very long time. The chef there used to work in Vegas and was in fine dining. He got tired of it and moved to this tiny town. Itís a total dive with two tables and outdoor seating but I would pay $200 plus to eat there easy. I think it ended up being like $60 a person for a four or five course meal.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast