Tazer JL or JL Lite questions

Grinch

I upgraded my tires on my JLUR to 35" and now my speedometer is off. It can be off as much as 4 mph at highway speeds. I am looking at probably getting the Tazer JL Lite to change this and the Auto stop/start feature. My first question is, does this cause any problems not having those 2 prongs plugged into the Jeep any longer and only plugged into the tazer? Also, I saw somewhere that they said you should unplug and un-marry the tazer if you take your Jeep to the dealer. I would assume that doesn't apply to oil changes? And why unplug it if all it is doing is correcting your Speed to give you correct MPH and miles ran on the Jeep? Sorry for the dumb questions, just don't want to do anything to mess up my brand new Jeep. Any other Pro/Cons others have ran into using these products would be helpful.
Thanks!

Jetboy

I upgraded my tires on my JLUR to 35" and now my speedometer is off. It can be off as much as 4 mph at highway speeds. I am looking at probably getting the Tazer JL Lite to change this and the Auto stop/start feature. My first question is, does this cause any problems not having those 2 prongs plugged into the Jeep any longer and only plugged into the tazer? Also, I saw somewhere that they said you should unplug and un-marry the tazer if you take your Jeep to the dealer. I would assume that doesn't apply to oil changes? And why unplug it if all it is doing is correcting your Speed to give you correct MPH and miles ran on the Jeep? Sorry for the dumb questions, just don't want to do anything to mess up my brand new Jeep. Any other Pro/Cons others have ran into using these products would be helpful.
Thanks!

The taser site explains this very well. For the taser , taser lite and the new mini. But in short , tire size is under the setting category. And remain even if you remove the taser. The auto/start/stop is an active or live category. The taser must remain plugged in for these.
Taser recommends removing and unmarriing. Before any dealer visit.
That is my plan, but I’m not sure they would even figure it out if it’s removed, and they are just doing the oil. But I don’t do oil at the dealer either.

Edit: also just to add. I love my taser. Not sure how anyone can do without it. It’s awesome. We use at least 8 of the features most of the time. I wish I had a mini. Got mine a month before it’s release.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

Wranglerman

I use the original Tazer JL ( two piece ) anyway I marry it to the JL and then set tire size, tpms limits and fog light drop and then removed it, early on the Tazer had been known for causing a parasitic draw on the battery so after reading some were coming out to dead batteries I chose to leave mine removed, I have heard this has been corrected in the 11.08 firmware but I have yet to upgrade

In regard to removing before service yes you should do so as you don’t want to give them a reason to deny any warranty claim saying the aftermarket programmer caused the issue, I doubt they would but me personally I would never take a chance.

Grinch

The taser site explains this very well. For the taser , taser lite and the new mini. But in short , tire size is under the setting category. And remain even if you remove the taser. The auto/start/stop is an active or live category. The taser must remain plugged in for these.
Taser recommends removing and unmarriing. Before any dealer visit.
That is my plan, but I’m not sure they would even figure it out if it’s removed, and they are just doing the oil. But I don’t do oil at the dealer either.

Edit: also just to add. I love my taser. Not sure how anyone can do without it. It’s awesome. We use at least 8 of the features most of the time. I wish I had a mini. Got mine a month before it’s release.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Thanks for the info. What 8 features do you use most?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Grinch

I use the original Tazer JL ( two piece ) anyway I marry it to the JL and then set tire size, tpms limits and fog light drop and then removed it, early on the Tazer had been known for causing a parasitic draw on the battery so after reading some were coming out to dead batteries I chose to leave mine removed, I have heard this has been corrected in the 11.08 firmware but I have yet to upgrade

In regard to removing before service yes you should do so as you don’t want to give them a reason to deny any warranty claim saying the aftermarket programmer caused the issue, I doubt they would but me personally I would never take a chance.

Yeah, I am thinking of going with the lite or the mini that jetboy said is available. I just thought if you leave it plugged in behind the dash all the time it would cause some kind of problem. If not, why are those 2 plug connected to begin with.

Wranglerman

Yeah, I am thinking of going with the lite or the mini that jetboy said is available. I just thought if you leave it plugged in behind the dash all the time it would cause some kind of problem. If not, why are those 2 plug connected to begin with.

With no Tazer installed the connector from the OBDII port goes to a security gateway module then from the module to the brain of your Jeep, here is a link on SGW info

https://diag.net/msg/m1fsoznwl3nndqti9pxq9k4nz0

Anyway haveing this SGW in place prevents tampering with the system so you have to unplug from the SGW to allow information to be written to the Jeep, the early module of Tazer was a two piece unit but they have now made it all in one small package but as stated once you marry it to your JL and then make vehicle changes you can unplug it but you must leave it married to the Jeep or settings will be put back to stock and if you want to use any live settings it must be left plugged in all the time but if you leave it connected for say service of an electrical problem and they find the Tazer connected it’s possible they could point the cause to the Tazer and not cover the repair so it’s best to unmarry it and remove it before any service

Grinch

With no Tazer installed the connector from the OBDII port goes to a security gateway module then from the module to the brain of your Jeep, here is a link on SGW info

Anyway haveing this SGW in place prevents tampering with the system so you have to unplug from the SGW to allow information to be written to the Jeep, the early module of Tazer was a two piece unit but they have now made it all in one small package but as stated once you marry it to your JL and then make vehicle changes you can unplug it but you must leave it married to the Jeep or settings will be put back to stock and if you want to use any live settings it must be left plugged in all the time but if you leave it connected for say service of an electrical problem and they find the Tazer connected it’s possible they could point the cause to the Tazer and not cover the repair so it’s best to unmarry it and remove it before any service

Gotcha. Thanks for the help!!

JTCO

Meme King
By the way, I just found this on the Z Auto website for anyone interested. Comparison chart for the different tazer models:

Untitled.jpg

Toycrusher

I have the mini. It's waaay better than sliced bread. It basically removes the kindergarten lock and lets you do what you should be able to do with your Jeep as a responsible adult. I use...

ESS kill
Seatbelt chime kill
Nav lock kill
Front camera
TPMS reset pressure warning level
Tire size reprogram
2wd rear locker
2wd sway bar disconnect
And more

No Jeep should be without it

JAGS

When/if you unmarried the tazer for the routine services at the dealer, do you lose all the settings you set, such as tire pressure, tire size, gear ratio l, etc etc?

And if you do lose those setting when taking to the dealer, couldn’t that cause issues not having things set to what the vehicle has?

On my jk, I had the basic procal. Never had to worry about doing anything when I went to dealer.

ReneXXC

I have the mini. It's waaay better than sliced bread. It basically removes the kindergarten lock and lets you do what you should be able to do with your Jeep as a responsible adult. I use...

ESS kill
Seatbelt chime kill
Nav lock kill
Front camera
TPMS reset pressure warning level
Tire size reprogram
2wd rear locker
2wd sway bar disconnect
And more

No Jeep should be without it

I just bought the tazer lite. I can’t seem to figure out how to use the 2WD sway bar disconnect. I leave it plugged in all the time but the sway bar will not disconnect in 2WD.

CalSgt

I'd like more info on this as well. Subscribed.

Pretty sure the display in the dash needs to be on "Audio" and jeep stopped. Mine says "Shift to 4WD for sway disconnect" or something like that but the sway bar will disconnect anyway...

Onlyone

What do you mean, on what setting?

When on any surface below 25mph, if I hit the sway bar button it will release in 2wd. Many times though it will tell me to shift into 4wd first but when I come to a stop in 2wd it will unlock the sway bar anyway.

Jeepfan30

When/if you unmarried the tazer for the routine services at the dealer, do you lose all the settings you set, such as tire pressure, tire size, gear ratio l, etc etc?

And if you do lose those setting when taking to the dealer, couldn’t that cause issues not having things set to what the vehicle has?

On my jk, I had the basic procal. Never had to worry about doing anything when I went to dealer.

I'm interested in knowing this too if you've found out since posting this.

Thats a great article, thanks for sharing it! In the comments someone mentions using a bypass cable to get around the SGW which is what AEV uses in the procal snap. You insert 2 leads into empty terminals on the OBD2 port and run the wires to the hub behind the glovebox. If someone were to try and hack your jeep and knew that pin 9 & 10 bypassed the SGW they could get into it. I had the jeep running and accidentially touched the 2 wires together and the dashboard christmas treed... All the messages were sent all over the place and the ECU freaked out, like the wipers were on, hazard lights, every message, everything. Honetsly, I bought the AEV spacer lift because it came with the procal, but this isn't the same as the JKs and I regret it big time. I'm going to switch to the taser.