Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Tazer JL or JL Lite questions

  1. #1
    Fresh Catch Grinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Hobbs NM
    Posts
    17

    Tazer JL or JL Lite questions

    I upgraded my tires on my JLUR to 35" and now my speedometer is off. It can be off as much as 4 mph at highway speeds. I am looking at probably getting the Tazer JL Lite to change this and the Auto stop/start feature. My first question is, does this cause any problems not having those 2 prongs plugged into the Jeep any longer and only plugged into the tazer? Also, I saw somewhere that they said you should unplug and un-marry the tazer if you take your Jeep to the dealer. I would assume that doesn't apply to oil changes? And why unplug it if all it is doing is correcting your Speed to give you correct MPH and miles ran on the Jeep? Sorry for the dumb questions, just don't want to do anything to mess up my brand new Jeep. Any other Pro/Cons others have ran into using these products would be helpful.
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Hooked Jetboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Gainsville GA
    Posts
    158

    Tazer JL or JL Lite questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
    I upgraded my tires on my JLUR to 35" and now my speedometer is off. It can be off as much as 4 mph at highway speeds. I am looking at probably getting the Tazer JL Lite to change this and the Auto stop/start feature. My first question is, does this cause any problems not having those 2 prongs plugged into the Jeep any longer and only plugged into the tazer? Also, I saw somewhere that they said you should unplug and un-marry the tazer if you take your Jeep to the dealer. I would assume that doesn't apply to oil changes? And why unplug it if all it is doing is correcting your Speed to give you correct MPH and miles ran on the Jeep? Sorry for the dumb questions, just don't want to do anything to mess up my brand new Jeep. Any other Pro/Cons others have ran into using these products would be helpful.
    Thanks!
    The taser site explains this very well. For the taser , taser lite and the new mini. But in short , tire size is under the setting category. And remain even if you remove the taser. The auto/start/stop is an active or live category. The taser must remain plugged in for these.
    Taser recommends removing and unmarriing. Before any dealer visit.
    That is my plan, but Iím not sure they would even figure it out if itís removed, and they are just doing the oil. But I donít do oil at the dealer either.

    Edit: also just to add. I love my taser. Not sure how anyone can do without it. Itís awesome. We use at least 8 of the features most of the time. I wish I had a mini. Got mine a month before itís release.


    Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Last edited by Jetboy; 03-16-2019 at 07:58 PM.
    Soon to be 2019 JL Rubicon owner

  3. #3
    Caught the Bug Wranglerman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Katy Texas
    Posts
    58
    I use the original Tazer JL ( two piece ) anyway I marry it to the JL and then set tire size, tpms limits and fog light drop and then removed it, early on the Tazer had been known for causing a parasitic draw on the battery so after reading some were coming out to dead batteries I chose to leave mine removed, I have heard this has been corrected in the 11.08 firmware but I have yet to upgrade

    In regard to removing before service yes you should do so as you don’t want to give them a reason to deny any warranty claim saying the aftermarket programmer caused the issue, I doubt they would but me personally I would never take a chance.
    My insurance company asked me if my Jeep was modified and of course I said no...

  4. #4
    Fresh Catch Grinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Hobbs NM
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboy View Post
    The taser site explains this very well. For the taser , taser lite and the new mini. But in short , tire size is under the setting category. And remain even if you remove the taser. The auto/start/stop is an active or live category. The taser must remain plugged in for these.
    Taser recommends removing and unmarriing. Before any dealer visit.
    That is my plan, but Iím not sure they would even figure it out if itís removed, and they are just doing the oil. But I donít do oil at the dealer either.

    Edit: also just to add. I love my taser. Not sure how anyone can do without it. Itís awesome. We use at least 8 of the features most of the time. I wish I had a mini. Got mine a month before itís release.


    Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Thanks for the info. What 8 features do you use most?


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  5. #5
    Fresh Catch Grinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Hobbs NM
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Wranglerman View Post
    I use the original Tazer JL ( two piece ) anyway I marry it to the JL and then set tire size, tpms limits and fog light drop and then removed it, early on the Tazer had been known for causing a parasitic draw on the battery so after reading some were coming out to dead batteries I chose to leave mine removed, I have heard this has been corrected in the 11.08 firmware but I have yet to upgrade

    In regard to removing before service yes you should do so as you donít want to give them a reason to deny any warranty claim saying the aftermarket programmer caused the issue, I doubt they would but me personally I would never take a chance.
    Yeah, I am thinking of going with the lite or the mini that jetboy said is available. I just thought if you leave it plugged in behind the dash all the time it would cause some kind of problem. If not, why are those 2 plug connected to begin with.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  6. #6
    Caught the Bug Wranglerman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Katy Texas
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
    Yeah, I am thinking of going with the lite or the mini that jetboy said is available. I just thought if you leave it plugged in behind the dash all the time it would cause some kind of problem. If not, why are those 2 plug connected to begin with.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    With no Tazer installed the connector from the OBDII port goes to a security gateway module then from the module to the brain of your Jeep, here is a link on SGW info

    https://diag.net/msg/m1fsoznwl3nndqti9pxq9k4nz0

    Anyway haveing this SGW in place prevents tampering with the system so you have to unplug from the SGW to allow information to be written to the Jeep, the early module of Tazer was a two piece unit but they have now made it all in one small package but as stated once you marry it to your JL and then make vehicle changes you can unplug it but you must leave it married to the Jeep or settings will be put back to stock and if you want to use any live settings it must be left plugged in all the time but if you leave it connected for say service of an electrical problem and they find the Tazer connected itís possible they could point the cause to the Tazer and not cover the repair so itís best to unmarry it and remove it before any service
    My insurance company asked me if my Jeep was modified and of course I said no...

  7. #7
    Fresh Catch Grinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Hobbs NM
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Wranglerman View Post
    With no Tazer installed the connector from the OBDII port goes to a security gateway module then from the module to the brain of your Jeep, here is a link on SGW info

    https://diag.net/msg/m1fsoznwl3nndqti9pxq9k4nz0

    Anyway haveing this SGW in place prevents tampering with the system so you have to unplug from the SGW to allow information to be written to the Jeep, the early module of Tazer was a two piece unit but they have now made it all in one small package but as stated once you marry it to your JL and then make vehicle changes you can unplug it but you must leave it married to the Jeep or settings will be put back to stock and if you want to use any live settings it must be left plugged in all the time but if you leave it connected for say service of an electrical problem and they find the Tazer connected itís possible they could point the cause to the Tazer and not cover the repair so itís best to unmarry it and remove it before any service
    Gotcha. Thanks for the help!!


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  8. #8
    Meme King JTCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Mom's Basement
    Posts
    4,205
    By the way, I just found this on the Z Auto website for anyone interested. Comparison chart for the different tazer models:

    Untitled.jpg
    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

  9. #9
    Moderator Piginajeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Bear Valley Springs, CAM
    Posts
    779
    The mini is perfect. It fits under the dash, no need for extra cable

  10. #10
    Caught the Bug
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    79
    I have the mini. It's waaay better than sliced bread. It basically removes the kindergarten lock and lets you do what you should be able to do with your Jeep as a responsible adult. I use...

    ESS kill
    Seatbelt chime kill
    Nav lock kill
    Front camera
    TPMS reset pressure warning level
    Tire size reprogram
    2wd rear locker
    2wd sway bar disconnect
    And more

    No Jeep should be without it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •