Do it yourself Hardtop removal

Mgchiro

Any thoughts or suggestions between the Toplift Pro vs. The Freedom Jack setup for removing and storing hardtop by yourself. I can't install an overhead hoist system in my garage, so I was wondering what others have done to do it themselves. Thanks for input.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, don't have any experience with either of those but any kind of assistance is better than none when you're doing it yourself. Ideally, having a friend help is the better way to go though.

JTCO

Meme King
Any thoughts or suggestions between the Toplift Pro vs. The Freedom Jack setup for removing and storing hardtop by yourself. I can't install an overhead hoist system in my garage, so I was wondering what others have done to do it themselves. Thanks for input.

Any solution other than a roof hoist will take up a lot of floor space. Even if you build your own.

Rampart22

I like the toplift but the price is high. I prefer to hoist up out of the way but there’s possible complications with that too. I don’t like the potential warping of the roof while suspended. I’m looking for a more rigid lift and store option that doesn’t require adding. A loft to the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I like the toplift but the price is high. I prefer to hoist up out of the way but there’s possible complications with that too. I don’t like the potential warping of the roof while suspended. I’m looking for a more rigid lift and store option that doesn’t require adding. A loft to the garage.

"warping"?

SouthCo

Not sure how there would be warping if the hoist supports the same places the top rests when on the Jeep? Curious to hear those with experience though as my hard top is prolly coming off within the next two weeks...

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

I know people who have had hard tips suspended for 4+ years without removing and no warping.

3T426

The Toplift Pro is one of the first things I bought after getting my JL. I have a couple saferacks on my 2-door garage ceiling. Due to the racks, there is no way to use a hoist. It makes removing my top real easy. I got tired of my son not having enough upper body strength and scraping the corner of the top on the rear of the Jeep leaving some white streaks. Its pricey, but for me....worth it. Good thing about the Toplift is you can park nose in when the top is on the lift... just have to lift higher than the hood. I don't care about the floor space being taken up, it rolls around easily when I need it out of the way. Takes me about 5 minutes to take the top off by myself.
Screenshot_20190316-215433.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

Mgchiro

The Toplift Pro is one of the first things I bought after getting my JL. I have a couple saferacks on my 2-door garage ceiling. Due to the racks, there is no way to use a hoist. It makes removing my top real easy. I got tired of my son not having enough upper body strength and scraping the corner of the top on the rear of the Jeep leaving some white streaks. Its pricey, but for me....worth it. Good thing about the Toplift is you can park nose in when the top is on the lift... just have to lift higher than the hood. I don't care about the floor space being taken up, it rolls around easily when I need it out of the way. Takes me about 5 minutes to take the top off by myself.
View attachment 9690

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Thanks so much for your feedback. I am really leaning towards the Toplift, just wish it had a more reasonable price point. There needs to be more competition. But it really does look solid.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! A bit more than I think I'd want in my garage all the time but it does look like it works well. Glad to hear you're happy with it.