Vibration

JL54

Hey Eddie or anyone that might help. I have a JLUR and noticed a vibration on the highway today, it only happens between 62-68 mph was hoping someone might have any suggestions to what is causing it.. thanks

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is it constant or does it oscillate? Is it slight and more of a buzzing or something more significant? Can you feel it throughout the Jeep like in your seat or at your feet or just at the steering wheel? A bit more info would be helpful.

JL54

Is it constant or does it oscillate? Is it slight and more of a buzzing or something more significant? Can you feel it throughout the Jeep like in your seat or at your feet or just at the steering wheel? A bit more info would be helpful.

Thank you Eddie for reply, yes it oscillates and has a buzz to it. Feel it throughout Jeep, wheel and seat. You hit every symptom.. if I hold speed at 63 seems louder. It has 2300 miles on it and haven’t engaged lockers or 4hi or low yet if that means anything..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you Eddie for reply, yes it oscillates and has a buzz to it. Feel it throughout Jeep, wheel and seat. You hit every symptom.. if I hold speed at 63 seems louder. It has 2300 miles on it and haven’t engaged lockers or 4hi or low yet if that means anything..

Sorry for not seeing this sooner. Sounds like you have a drive shaft that is out of balance. Have you recently regeared to something like 5.13 and/or are now running u-joint style drive shafts?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No Eddie, completely stock and only 2300 miles.. just think it’s odd having this issue, got it from dealer with 40 miles on it. Wouldn’t be out of balance tire?

A tire out of balance usually shows up as a steering wheel shimmy or possibly a vibration but it's usually continuous, not oscillating. Have you always had this vibration since the day you got your Jeep? If so, I would take it to your dealership and let them know. Could just be you have a shaft out of balance or a weight has gotten knocked off of it.

Jeepfan30

I was able to finally fix this based off feedback from someone else. Basically rear OEM driveshaft was out of phase from the factory. Unbolted the driveshaft and rotated the flange 180 degrees and now the sound and vibration is completely gone. Been testing it for three days and have never experienced it again since.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I was able to finally fix this based off feedback from someone else. Basically rear OEM driveshaft was out of phase from the factory. Unbolted the driveshaft and rotated the flange 180 degrees and now the sound and vibration is completely gone. Been testing it for three days and have never experienced it again since.

Does your Driveshaft not spin? How would spinning it prevent a vibration while it’s spinning?

Aliens?

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

VitaMeVas

I believe what Overlander JL is questioning....IS. If the vibration was due to your driveshaft being ‘out of balance’ then simply removing the driveshaft and rotating it 180 degrees shouldn’t have ‘fixed’ the vibration. Having the driveshaft re-balanced would work. Just guessing. But maybe he really thinks aliens helped.

Jeepfan30

No aliens were involved. I didn’t rotate the entire OEM shaft, I just unbolted at the rear diff, then spun the pinion flange 180 degrees to throw off the phase markings. By misaligning the phase markings on the pinion end it resolves the vibration/sound between 63-65 mph. There are numerous people reporting this issue mainly on JLUR’s. Some have had new OEM driveshafts installed under warranty and still had the issue, this fixed it for me and another person who told me about it. Worth a try if your JL is affected without wasting a day at the dealership.

MrGiant

I would let the dealership get that done to try it out. Otherwise I could imagine the warranty is canceled because 'a non professional' had its hands on it and that could cause the issue (although YOU know it has already been there)

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR