Still no Jeep .. 41 Days and counting

Mud Bug

Summary of what has been happening (but will still be a long read, my apologies)

Dec 13, 2018 - Purchased 2019 JLUR with the 2.0 turbo

Jan 31, 2019 - Dealership picked up the Rubicon in the morning (left me a Renegade) to do a 1-day nanocoating job. They expected to return my Rubicon that afternoon/evening. However, I pointed out the cluster rebooting to their driver. Dealership calls to tell me I need a new instrument cluster, they will return my Rubicon to me on Feb 4.

Feb 4 - I call dealership to ask about what time should I expect them to bring the jeep back? Sorry, part not in, check back Thursday.

Feb 7 - Thursday - I call dealership. Sorry, part is not in... "sometime next week."

Feb 12 - I posted here. Got suggestions to contact Jeep Cares. I did, got no response from them.

Feb 13 - Updated my post, Jeeeep suggested I contact Jeep Wave. I did a live chat with them and they said they would get back with me the next day.

Feb 14 - Jeep Wave emails to say they are escalating my case, putting an expediting team onto case. The manufacturer says the part is shipping Feb 20.

Feb 21 - (I did not call on Feb 20 because they said it would be shipping.. not be *at* the dealership) Jeep Wave contacts me. Tells me the manufacturer says they need "at least 2 more weeks" to get that part out. No specific delivery window was given. Jeep Wave says they will give me free extended warranty and make payments for me for my troubles. Attempted second contact with Jeep Cares. No response.

Feb 22 - I asked what my other options are besides waiting for this part. Jeep Wave says they are also reaching out to corporate to talk possible trade.

Feb 24 - I email Jeep Wave asking if the promise of the warranty can be applied to another vehicle (because we are planning to buy our daughter a wrangler for her graduation present)? I also mention that I have made 2 payments already on the Jeep I do not have. (due Dates of Feb and Mar 3)

Feb 25 - Jeep Wave replies that they can look into the warranty because yes, it is possible to apply it to another vehicle. Jeep Wave says that payments will be reimbursed to me when my case reaches it's conclusion. At that time I am to provide proof that I made the payments (and how many/dates) and they will reimburse me.

Mar 2 - (still no part) - My salesperson at the dealership texts me. She says Jeep reached out to her to tell her I wanted to trade my Jeep. She says trading it is not good, it will cost me money. She says they are talking to their Chrysler rep and will talk buy-back. Buy back will take some time but not cost me money. I ask how long does a buy back take? She estimates 3 weeks from start to finish. She says the Chrysler rep is on vacation that week, so I will hear on Monday, March 4, if my buy back has been approved. I email Jeep Wave and update on my situation. Jeep Wave says great, they are glad to hear a rep is getting involved, let them know what the outcome is.

Mar 4 - I text sales lady to tell her I have not heard from the rep. She says wait until mid-day Weds and let her know.

Mar 6 - I waited until 3 pm to text and say I still have not heard from Chrysler rep. Sales lady says she is going to get with her manager and his boss and see what they can do.

March 7 - purchased daughter's graduation jeep - 2018 JKU Sahara

IMG_0972.jpg

also March 7 - our 2018 JLU Rubicon had a small windshield crack that finally got big enough to be a bother. I called the dealership to make an appointment to have it replaced. The service guy who answered was new. Since I had him on the phone I asked him about the green Rubicon and the instrument cluster? He says he is not familiar with that Jeep, he looks it up on the computer. He tells me that the notes say my cluster had been removed and picked up 10 days prior. I asked what for?? He said there are no other notes... he texted the prior service guy I was working with. No response. He says he cannot say for sure but his assumption would be that it was being picked up to be repaired and returned. Hmm.. I text my sales lady this info... does she know anything? Got no response all weekend.

March 10 - We took our 2018 Rubicon and our 2006 LJ to the Milton, DE St Patty's Day parade with our Jeep club. I am such a noob at decorating.. lol.
But.. My LJ made it onto the local news! with my son waving out the window

IMG_0993.jpg

And our Rubi and LJ in line waiting to start the parade. We are also doing the Dover, DE parade on Saturday, March 16

IMG_0991.jpg

March 11 - I called the dealership to try to speak to service dept to ask if they found out about the removed part yet. My sales person actually answered the phone, so I spoke directly with her. She kind of kept cutting me off while I was talking to say yes yes, she is going to bust up the manager meeting and get some answers, blah blah... (and at one point I plainly heard her answer another phone while I was speaking... no "hold on a minute" or anything... seems like she held my phone away and answered the other and left me hanging). She said someone would call me back.

Her boss's boss (Wayne) calls my husband back, later. Wayne strongly urges us to NOT do the buy back. He claims that it takes much longer than the 3 weeks the sales person estimated. He says they have a Compass on their lot that has been in the buyback process since mid-January and is still not complete. He says my part is supposed to be in sometimes March 15-22. Meanwhile, he will happily take back the Renegade and swap it out for a Wrangler loaner when I bring the 2018 down this evening to drop off for the windshield replacement.

So once again... playing the waiting game.

41 days and counting...

JTCO

Meme King
Holy shit. Just read through all that. Really sucks. I hope you get answers soon. Sounds like someone isn't being accurate somewhere. Good for you for documenting all of this. The documentation may save your ass someday, you never know.

DavidDJL69

Are those attached or detached dicks? [emoji3] this story is more than absurd. But then so is so-called customer service too these days. I just found out that as a second JL owner (my good friend who I bought the JL from early on didn’t ask for or get an owners manual) I’d have to pay $38 for one! Not that I want or need one but I was considering it for my wife. This after paying $50+ for my JLUR. Absurd.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
I’d have to pay $38 for one! Not that I want or need one but I was considering it for my wife. This after paying $50+ for my JLUR. Absurd.

We have a digital copy here on the forum for free if that makes it easier. I do get having the owner's manual in your hands though.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Are those attached or detached dicks? [emoji3] this story is more than absurd. But then so is so-called customer service too these days. I just found out that as a second JL owner (my good friend who I bought the JL from early on didn’t ask for or get an owners manual) I’d have to pay $38 for one! Not that I want or need one but I was considering it for my wife. This after paying $50+ for my JLUR. Absurd.

Contact Jeep cares, or Jeep customer service. Once you've taken delivery, you're entitled to a free copy. You only need to provide you VIN, and they will ship it rather quickly. There's a picture of mine somewhere around here.

DavidDJL69

Thanks. What they specified to me is “original” owner. Splitting hairs to save a buck. I’ve had Lott’s of vehicles over the years and always had (wanted) the owners manual. I can afford the $38 but it’s simply the principal of being treated as a “non original” owner.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Thanks. What they specified to me is “original” owner. Splitting hairs to save a buck. I’ve had Lott’s of vehicles over the years and always had (wanted) the owners manual. I can afford the $38 but it’s simply the principal of being treated as a “non original” owner.

Oh crap, sorry I didn't see second owner for some reason. Honestly it's nothing that isn't in the PDF manual, but tangibility is nice.

Jeeeep

I would have lemon'ed it on day 32.

Agree ^^

But, since they've given you a time frame of Mar15-22 and they will reimburse your payments, not sure pursuing lemon law would be worth it (additional time required?)

I'd still contact the state's AG to review your options.

You have a lot of patience and to buy another Jeep from them! hope they gave you a better than great deal on that Jeep

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Holy hell, that is just nuts! I'd hate to say it but I'm with these guys. I think it's time to move this to the next level. Have them do a swap or lemon it.

I’m so sorry to keep reading all this, but you’re about to make a 3rd payment. You need to lookup & conract a lawyer. Seriously, you’ve been more than accommodating to them.

Mud Bug

We had our yellow jeep getting a windshield replaced and when I picked it up on March 15, I briefly spoke to a service tech who was passing by. I asked if the part had come in since I was given March 15-22 as dates and that day was the 15th. He kind of chuckled and said that he would be greatly surprised if this part comes in before the 22nd.

So I am currently waiting until the 22nd and then back to Jeep Wave I go to find out my alternative options in my case.

The buy-back.. I never got a call back from the Chrysler rep, plus was told by the dealership that the buyback process takes literally months to do that from start to finish.

A direct swap (for the exact same jeep, color, and options already on their lot) I was told by Jeep Wave they do not do/authorize. That is a dealership level thing. The dealership told me they would not trade because I would lose money on it. It would be treated just like I was bringing in my "old" jeep to do a regular trade/purchase of a new jeep... needing a down payment, loss of value on my old jeep, and another credit check for financing the next jeep. My husband and I are adamant that we will not lose money on this, or need to pay out of pocket for anything.

I do have a loaner, so I do have a wrangler to drive.. plus if Jeep Wave follows through with reimbursing me my payments I don't feel as if I am losing anything. (I said *if* they follow through because I tend to not believe things until they happen. But I AM making sure I am emailing Jeep Wave so their responses are in writing and not just phone/verbal promises I might not be able to prove)

But for now... I am driving a JL for "free" (again, dependent upon payment reimbursement). I am just not willing to wait 2 or 3 additional months to resolve this.

Mud Bug

And I did email Jeep Wave again today. I let him know this is my last push-back of the dates and he needs to have other solutions/options for me if this part does not come in by/on March 22, or lemon law it is.

March 22 = 51 consecutive days in the shop