Hardtop hoist

Spring is snowly coming to the PNW and I want to sort out how I safely remove and store my hardtop.

I've looked at the array of hoists for sale, and the one thing that bugs me about them all is how they attach at the rear and that the rear window generally has to be raised. I'm unsure if I'll DYI or buy a kit.

I thought I saw a Jeep on youtube (can't find it now) that installed some brackets under the rear window hinge. I've searched and I can only find brackets for holding lights, but nothing to use as an attachment point for hoisting I really like this idea, assuming it is strong enough to hold the weight of the top. Note I have nothing mounted to the top (yet), but I will likely put something up there eventually - maybe even a lightweight RTT. For that reason, I want to consider a hoist solution that can handle the weight of the top plus anything attached.

Has anyone done or seen something like this? I realize this may not be an approach you'd prefer to take, but is there anything unsafe about it (undue tension on the attachment point for instance)?

Cheers,
David

CalSgt

I googled hard top hinge bracket & I think the product you are taking about is from topsy products. I have been thinking about doing it this way too...

BlackJL.jpg

JTCO

Meme King
I googled hard top hinge bracket & I think the product you are taking about is from topsy products. I have been thinking about doing it this way too...

@CalSgt you're the man. I guess I searched with too many terms (Jeep rear window hinge bracket) and the listing is further down and not as obvious to me.

Thanks,
David