Front license plate

After installing a Warn VR 10-S winch onto the stock steel bumper, I lost the spot for the front license plate. These are required in Washington state, although I know a few people who drive without them and take their chances.

The Warn mounting plate came with a license plate holder, but it holds the plate at an odd angle (angled back) and it holds the plate very low where I expect it'll be in the way for off-roading.

I figured I could:
  • Leave the front plate off
  • Install the plate as provided, but remove it when off-roading
  • Jimmy up some kind of hinge to hold the plate from below where it would normally sit in front of the fairlead, and fold down when the winch is needed

I thought I'd ask around to see what others have done, or get your recommendations.

Thanks,
David

CGRDT

There are a bunch of hawse fairlead mounts that will bolt on behind or that will pop into the fairlead itself for easy removal on the trail. This is a random one I picked on Amazon but there are a bunch there.IMG_2213.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

CalSgt

I think I got this one from Maximus 3, it comes with plastic wingnuts so you can take it off when in the rocks. Its hard to tell in the picture but it sweeps back at a real steep angle kind of under the bumper.

plate.jpg

ETA another picture

plate 2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @PMCGRDT. I think I can find something there that will work.

I like that they'd have the plate fold down from above, so the winch line doesn't end up resting on the plate.

Jeeeep

After installing a Warn VR 10-S winch onto the stock steel bumper, I lost the spot for the front license plate. These are required in Washington state, although I know a few people who drive without them and take their chances.

The Warn mounting plate came with a license plate holder, but it holds the plate at an odd angle (angled back) and it holds the plate very low where I expect it'll be in the way for off-roading.

I figured I could:
  • Leave the front plate off
  • Install the plate as provided, but remove it when off-roading
  • Jimmy up some kind of hinge to hold the plate from below where it would normally sit in front of the fairlead, and fold down when the winch is needed

I thought I'd ask around to see what others have done, or get your recommendations.

Thanks,
David

I've got this one on my JK, works well
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791FR2FL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

YAHAHA

Check with your local law enforcement officers. I was pulled over by the Illinois State Police and during the stop the officer told me that the front plate could be mounted inside the windshield as long as it was viewable from the front and was mounted. He didn't say "permanantly mounted" but he did stress that just putting the plate on the dash board was not sufficient.

drhcobra

Check with your local law enforcement officers. I was pulled over by the Illinois State Police and during the stop the officer told me that the front plate could be mounted inside the windshield as long as it was viewable from the front and was mounted. He didn't say "permanantly mounted" but he did stress that just putting the plate on the dash board was not sufficient.

Interesting, were you stopped for this or something else.

Twmcneilly

Front license plate in WA

I too live in WA. I installed my winch today, so the license had to go. I never had one one on my JK for the three years I owned it due to winch priority there as well. And prior to that I ran my SL 500 sans plate for over ten years. A front plate just ruins the look of those cars, and it was a CA car, which never had a front bracket in the first place. When I’m bored at stop lights I count how many vehicles don’t have front plates, it’s more than you’d think. Now I’ve just jinxed myself I’m sure. But I think I’d rather pay the non-moving violation than “pollute” my front end with a patched on license plate.

YAHAHA

Interesting, were you stopped for this or something else.

Stopped for another reason in my GT500. No front plate but he did not write me a ticket for no plate. He understood why I didn't want to drill up the front bumper and offered this info as an alternative.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

Last edited:

drhcobra

Stopped for another reason in my GT500. No front plate but he did not write me a ticket for no plate. He understood why I didn't want to drill up the front bumper and offered this info as an alternative.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

That’s funny, I have a GT500 as well, have yet to get pulled over in it. Not for the lack of trying. [emoji23]

I did by a Tuffy bracket to put a plate on the front of the jeep which folds down over the fairlead. Haven’t put it on.

VitaMeVas

Tuffy Hawse Fairlead Plate

I like this one, but I’m sure it’s no different than other similar brands.

Attachments

• E8D8B096-BA17-4304-A8A8-E64559EF86B5.jpg
    E8D8B096-BA17-4304-A8A8-E64559EF86B5.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 68
  • ADF0CA72-930D-49C8-819A-798EAADDEBF7.jpg
    ADF0CA72-930D-49C8-819A-798EAADDEBF7.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 67